PDA

View Full Version : Bow is getting loudder everyshot

Brady
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a martin altitude and its about ten years old.. Everyshot the bow is getting loudder with everynoise reduceing peace of equiptment on it... Any idea on what it could be???

bfisher
05-19-2010, 05:20 PM
How old are the string/cables. If they are more than a couple years old or are of questionable quality then chances are they have crept (stretched). Wne this happenes the draw length gets longer, the draw weight changes, and the bow changes tune for the arrows you are shooting. Usually the string, being longer,tends to creep more and the cams get over rotated which is often a source of vibraton and excessive noise.

You can start to find out by getting specs for the bow and checking the bow itself. For starters you need to know the A2A and brace height, and draw weight. It also wouldn't hurt to measure the draw length to see if that's changed. You can twist up the present string/cables to get the bow back in spec to see if this helps.

If it does then I'd fork over some money and get a good set of custom strings. One company that won't empty your pocket book is H&M Bowstrings.
Whatever you do don't get Zebra strings at any cost.

Destroyer
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
And check for any loose bolts, missing axle cir-clips, etc.

Whatever you do don't get Zebra strings at any cost.

Share please sir! :D

KStigall
05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Make sure every screw on the bow is tight. Draw mods, rest, cable guard, sight, stabilizer and anything else that might loosen up.

Hold the bow loosely in one hand and "rap" a limb with the palm of your hand. Try the other limb. Try to zero in on where the noise is coming from.

alex
05-20-2010, 09:58 AM
One company that won't empty your pocket book is H&M Bowstrings.

Barry, are you still on a hunt for guinea pigs? ;) May be this autumn i can be a volunteer.

bfisher
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Barry, are you still on a hunt for guinea pigs? ;) May be this autumn i can be a volunteer.

Of course. I would like to hear some first hand experience with H&M. I'd order a set, but normally don't keep a bow long enough to replace string/cable. One of these days I may have to and H&M gets some pretty good reviews on AT.

I've shot Prostrings, Winner's Choice and Bucknasty so far and my choice aamong these three is Bucknasty. WC is too costly IMO and Bucknasty is starting to climb both in popularity and price, but they are good strings.

alex
05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
My factory strings are still ok, but after the summer shooting i'll may be need new ones and they must be affordable. :)

Destroyer
05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Had good luck with Mike's Archery & Custom bowstrings. Cheap.

Although I have always used fastflite on my older bows, not 452X. Don't know if it would do anything bad having much lower stretch. There is a ebay store "Ol Nobulls Archery Shop" that makes cheap cables & strings.

treadwayc
05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I am currently shooting H&M strings. Great strings so far. No complaints.. Very good value. Only problem is he is so good and has so many orders, turn around is several weeks.