PDA

View Full Version : Dang it!

southern outlaw
06-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I was shooting my firecat today and I noticed my limbs are cracked again! This was the 4th set. The last time I sent the whole bow to Martin and it got the cat2 cam upgrade and the new limbs with the red laminations. I thought for sure this was the end of my problem. This is my favorite bow to shoot and hunt with! Is it even possible that Martin makes limbs that can hold up to the cat cams? I am thinking barnsdales but will daves limbs hold up any better?
I am at wits end. Is there hope that I can have a trouble free firecat?
I have an alien nemesis coming. I hope I have better luck with it.

Montalaar
06-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I was shooting my firecat today and I noticed my limbs are cracked again! This was the 4th set. The last time I sent the whole bow to Martin and it got the cat2 cam upgrade and the new limbs with the red laminations. I thought for sure this was the end of my problem. This is my favorite bow to shoot and hunt with! Is it even possible that Martin makes limbs that can hold up to the cat cams? I am thinking barnsdales but will daves limbs hold up any better?

I know what you are going through.
I think there are some different possibilities now.
1) Send the bow in again and get a whole new bow.
2) Get barnsdale limbs instead. Martin has them on stock as all Rytera bows come with them.
3) Concentrate on your new Nemesis which will work just fine. It has Barnsdale-limbs preinstalled.

Destroyer
06-05-2010, 09:21 PM
This was the 4th set.

This is your 4th set? :eek: Thought I was having a bit of bad luck with my Martin. Must say that I admire your patience mate.

What arrow weight are you shooting?

southern outlaw
06-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I am shooting it at 61 lbs draw weight at 28.5" draw length and shoot a 390 grain axis and 380 grain radial x weave out of it.

It seems everytime I get it dialed in and it is shooting great this happens. I was shooting groups at 60 yards with it yesterday morning with field points and broadheads. I drew back and heard that nasty cracking sound. After inspecting it not one but both limbs were cracked in the limb fork. This bow has very little cam lean now with the cat2 cams and I thought that was what was causing the limbs to crack like that. Guess I was wrong.
Im going to try and get ahold of Joel tomorrow morning.

Destroyer
06-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I am shooting it at 61 lbs draw weight at 28.5" draw length and shoot a 390 grain axis and 380 grain radial x weave out of it.

Would have thought your arrow weight is fine. Both limbs going at the same time sounds like a manufacturing problem maybe. :confused:

gibson 787
06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
was shooting my firecat today and I noticed my limbs are cracked again! This was the 4th set. The last time I sent the whole bow to Martin and it got the cat2 cam upgrade and the new limbs with the red laminations. I thought for sure this was the end of my problem. This is my favorite bow to shoot and hunt with! Is it even possible that Martin makes limbs that can hold up to the cat cams? I am thinking barnsdales but will daves limbs hold up any better?

Just a long shot, but maybe there is a problem with the riser. Have you checked your ATA on both sides of the bow to see if the measurements match?

In reality I think they should send you a new bow.

good luck.

southern outlaw
06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I am playing phone tag with joel this morning. I hope I can reach him today as I have to work the rest of the week and cant call during Martin business hours.
On a brighter note I got the nemesis today and I just threw a prong rest on it set it to 28.5 draw and let a few arrows go. It dont get no better!
I might have to add an x to my stable also..

Spiker
06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah - yer gonna love the Nemesis !!! :D

Destroyer
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
In reality I think they should send you a new bow.

I totally agree. Actually think they should send you a bonus for all the trouble you've gone through. ;)

Montalaar
06-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I totally agree. Actually think they should send you a bonus for all the trouble you've gone through. ;)

I want a Bonus, too. After the second set within some weeks and waiting ~2 months for the third. ;)

I will not happen. ;)

southern outlaw
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
No new bow. Since I do not have a dealer Joel wanted the whole bow again to fit the upgraded parts to. Maybe this will be the last time I have to use customer service I hope.

Destroyer
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
It will not happen.

It should. ;)

last time I have to use customer service I hope.

I hope so too mate. This is quite a big deal to all those ppl who just might be in the market for a new Martin bow.

southern outlaw
06-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Well Martin got the bow on thursday. Well see what she looks like in a week or so. I hope this time it gets firecat limbs instead of firehawk limbs put on. ;)

bfisher
06-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Outlaw,

You have the wrong idea here. Both the FireCat and Firehawk have the same limbs and cams. The only difference is in the length of the riser and string/cable set. And of course, the logo on the limbs.

With some luck Martin may upgrade you with 2010 limbs (4 layer instead of 3) and 2010 Roto cups, cams and new strings. Whether the 2010 limbs are any better or not is still a question in my mind.

I had this done to my 2008 FireCat and so far they have worked OK, but I don't push my bows hard either. 50# limbs that peak at 53# and I've only been shooting it at 45#. Working my way back up after some medical problems.

southern outlaw
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Outlaw,

You have the wrong idea here. Both the FireCat and Firehawk have the same limbs and cams. The only difference is in the length of the riser and string/cable set. And of course, the logo on the limbs.

With some luck Martin may upgrade you with 2010 limbs (4 layer instead of 3) and 2010 Roto cups, cams and new strings. Whether the 2010 limbs are any better or not is still a question in my mind.

I had this done to my 2008 FireCat and so far they have worked OK, but I don't push my bows hard either. 50# limbs that peak at 53# and I've only been shooting it at 45#. Working my way back up after some medical problems.

No I dont have the wrong idea. The last time I sent it in this winter Joel installed 2010 layered limbs and cat 2 cams. The limbs were the ones with the red layers. They put firehawk logos on my limbs last time so when I got the bow back I had a firecat with firehawk limbs. I know they are the same limbs . I didnt complain cause I was just wanting a dependable bow that I dont have to cringe every time I draw it back thinking I heard the dreaded splitting sound. I realy thought they got er done last time but I guess not.
Hopefully this will be the one. I am losing confidence with every repair.
I got the nemesis last week and I am really liking it even though I admit I am expecting the limbs to crack on it too. Can you blame me with all the trouble I am having out of my firecat? Maybe they will send me an alien x
for putting up with this crap for so long!
I dont push my bows hard either. A 70 lb firecat shooting at 61-62 lbs and a 390 grain arrow. None of my other 6 bows I have owned over the last 2 years have any problems with that combo. Just the martin.
Sorry for the RANT! Just had to vent!

bfisher
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
OK, I stand corrected. I can understand your reservations though and won't argue what doesn't need argued. I do wonder about all the cracked limb threads I've been reading. Too many if you ask me.

By the way, do you know just what limbs are on your Nemisis? They are probably Barnsdale. Check the underside near the limb butt and if it has a three digit deflection number then they are Barnsdale. Good luck to ya.

southern outlaw
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
OK, I stand corrected. I can understand your reservations though and won't argue what doesn't need argued. I do wonder about all the cracked limb threads I've been reading. Too many if you ask me.

By the way, do you know just what limbs are on your Nemisis? They are probably Barnsdale. Check the underside near the limb butt and if it has a three digit deflection number then they are Barnsdale. Good luck to ya.

Yep barnsdales which I was releived to see. I am hoping for the best. I have had good luck with barnsdale limbs . I have a frankenbow that I put barnsdale limbs on and have no issues. I have a pearson z 32 with barnsdales and have no issues. I had an 07 iron mace with barnsdales and no issues. I am hoping the firecat gets the new rotocups so that way if these limbs fail I can at least order a set of barnsdales for it. I asked Joel if they had barnsdale limbs in house he could put on my firecat and he told me " Not any more".

Spiker
06-16-2010, 05:16 AM
I have a Nemesis with Barnsdales. I was checking the cam timing after putting a set of custom strings on it - using a hook on the ceiling. The hook broke and it bent both cams/modules, shreded the strings and sent the cable slide into some blackhole never to be seen again. I examined every part of the bow and re-built it with the same limbs.
Now with 1200-1500 shots thru it - it shoots just as good as new.
Very tough limbs!!!

southern outlaw
06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I wish barnsdale would take Martin to school on limb building.

polaris754
06-16-2010, 02:39 PM
heck yeah ill take one of those bonus things too gimmie gimmie :D

southern outlaw
06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
That was fast! Good job guys on fixing it one more time. It sure looks good with the new slim limbs and roto cups. The new cat cams look good too with the shoulder bearings with no spacers. I got to set it back up and shot a few arrows through it. Same ol' can't miss accuracy.
Thanks Joel and the customer service dept at Martin for making it happen again. Nothing against you guys but I hope this is the last time I will ever need you again.

ramankishore03
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
yes you deserve the bonus you need to ask for it i totally agreed with you