PDA

View Full Version : Firecat TR-1 or TR-2

mtnguy75
06-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Well first off id just like to say im new here and have spent the last few hours cruising the forums and checking the place out. Ive been a bowhunter most of my life, when life doesnt get in the way any how ;). I have been shooting a Browning the last few years but owned Martins before that going back to when i started shooting compounds when i was 15. That ole Lynx is still hanging in the shed.......

Im looking to step back into a Martin bow and have kind of narrowed it down to a Firecat. Ive read that theve had some limb problems off and on and was wondering if any could fill me in on that, frequency of occurance, any explosions etc...... also wondering which one to get? I shoot a single cam Browning now with a 30.5" 2317 XX78 at 70#. Im also thinking of amaking the plunge to carbons or FMJ's at the very least. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.................

Destroyer
06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Im also thinking of amaking the plunge to carbons or FMJ's at the very least.

Actually, I'm thinking of going back to alloy's atm. Heavier shaft, quieter, no dangerous carbon fibers, longer lasting bow maybe. ;)

mtnguy75
06-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Exact reason ive never shot um....now im thinking again??? ;)

Destroyer
06-06-2010, 09:00 PM
:D

I'm currently using powerflight 340's 444 grains out of my Pantera @ 68lbs. I figure I can go to 2315's with blazers, carbon insert & 100 grain arrows for approx 500 grains. Loose maybe 10fps and get some real benefits.

I do have 2 dozen carbons to use up first!

Would prefer the TR2 but not sure now. If I had a local Martin dealer near by (which I don't), I would still go with the TR2. I probably won't buy a single cam bow again.

alex
06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Well, both bows are very good. If you want a speedbow-take the TR2, but if you want less risk of issues, buy the TR1. If you read the posts here the problems with the MOAB/TR1 compared to the problems with the Firecat Pro-X/TR2 are about 1:10.

mtnguy75
06-13-2010, 10:30 AM
After doing some reading here i have found alot of refrences to firecats breaking limbs, but many dont specify if its the TR 1 or TR 2? Im assuming the dual cam is a lot harder on things than the single cam then? I am looking for some speed here, but im definatly not in the mood to be sending broken bows back to the factory every three months either? My intrest is peaked now thou and i wanna keep looking around ;)

KStigall
06-14-2010, 09:16 AM
After doing some reading here i have found alot of refrences to firecats breaking limbs, but many dont specify if its the TR 1 or TR 2? Im assuming the dual cam is a lot harder on things than the single cam then? I am looking for some speed here, but im definatly not in the mood to be sending broken bows back to the factory every three months either? My intrest is peaked now thou and i wanna keep looking around ;)

About any bow is going to be very fast with your draw length of 30.5 inches. Also with your longer draw length I wouldn't be looking for a bow with as short of A-to-A as the FireCat. I'm not against the FireCat, I have one and think it's a great shooting bow. But, if I were you I'd be looking at the Martin WartHog, Rytera Alien-Z (36" a-to-a) and the Rytera Nemesis (34" a-to-a). The C.A.T cam may feel "harder" to pull than your current bow BUT you don't need nearly the draw weight on these bows to get more speed than the Browning. Also knowing how to tune the C.A.T. cam will let you experiment with draw weight, let-off and holding weight to get the feel that helps you shoot your best. In other words you can vary the way the cam rolls over. Also, the FireCat has listed a max draw length of 30 inches.

SRT8Jeep
10-11-2010, 06:34 AM
i just bought a 2010 tr1 and i have the draw length set at 30.5. i have owned it for about 2 months and have shot between 4-500 arrows. my top limb snapped on me yesterday. other than that, its a great fast shooting bow, a little noisier than i would have liked, but at over 300fps a deer or whatever you may be hunting doesnt have a chance to twitch under 30 yards.

FireHawk Owner
10-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I love the firecat TR2 ,I have about the same bow, but with a smaller ATA. Firehawk. The limb problems that you read about, are mostly on the TR2 dual cams.I think they fixed them now. by putting a different roto cups, and thicker limbs on the 2010 model. I have not heard of any limb problem with the single cam TR1. Both are great bows.