PDA

View Full Version : A question to Bfisher

alex
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Barry, sorry but i'll bother you with one more question. What is the size of the threaded part of the stabilizer? We use the metric system and it'll be a pain in the neck to explain what i want to the mechanic, so if i can say something like 3/16 it'll be easier :) Thank you!
P.S. If you wonder why threaded rods are sold in our archery shops (from my previous message), it was a mistake from hurrying - i meant hardware shops :o
P.P.S. Barry, you've reached the limit :confused: and can't accept PM's anymore, that's why i post this here.

Montalaar
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I may not be Barry but the size is 5/16" UNF.

You can buy them in archery shops here.. :P

alex
06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Simon! I need to know this because i have a project for making a 12" stabilizer which i've discussed with Barry. It will be a steel and rubber wheels monster :D .....Don't know whether it'll work at all, but will give a try.

bfisher
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Barry, sorry but i'll bother you with one more question. What is the size of the threaded part of the stabilizer? We use the metric system and it'll be a pain in the neck to explain what i want to the mechanic, so if i can say something like 3/16 it'll be easier :) Thank you!
P.S. If you wonder why threaded rods are sold in our archery shops (from my previous message), it was a mistake from hurrying - i meant hardware shops :o
P.P.S. Barry, you've reached the limit :confused: and can't accept PM's anymore, that's why i post this here.

Simon answered your question. Now leave me alone for five minutes (LOL) so I can clean out my mail box. Tee Hee. Maybe take those pictures I promised.

Montalaar
06-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey Alex, shoot me a pm with your design idea. I really like to think about those things beside my job at the university.

I am building a stabilizer out of a fiverod Genesis and a cheap monorod carbon one. Well... i plan to..

alex
06-12-2010, 03:19 AM
OK, Simon. I can't connect my camera to the computer now so there can't be any pictures, but i'll try to explain my idea in the PM. It'll be a simple one, not so hi-tech as your plans :)

Montalaar
06-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Interesting idea. Might work!

I just took a look at my parts and found out that i missed one so i cannot start to build it.
The basic idea is to connect the mono to the multirod stabilizer. The mono can be slid around the multirod so the length can be changed by around 20 cm (~8"). The different lengths will have an effect on the noise level of the whole system but also on the vibration dampening effect.

alex
06-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Interesting idea. Might work!

I just took a look at my parts and found out that i missed one so i cannot start to build it.
The basic idea is to connect the mono to the multirod stabilizer. The mono can be slid around the multirod so the length can be changed by around 20 cm (~8"). The different lengths will have an effect on the noise level of the whole system but also on the vibration dampening effect.

Sounds interesting too. When we are ready we can post the results here. I'll make a video of shooting with different stabilizers (or without any) to hear if there's any difference.

Montalaar
06-12-2010, 05:23 AM
As soon as i have free time and am sure that my bow does what it is supposed to do i will make another video for my YT-series. :)

alex
06-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Will be glad to watch it. I know your YouTube channel, but may be you have more then one?

Montalaar
06-12-2010, 09:02 AM
No, it is just this one.

Got my stabilizer done today. I just need to improve it a bit as i use the original steel caps on the carbon rods now and i want to replace them with rubber ones. You will see what i mean soon. :)

alex
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
:eek: You are fast! I won't be able to start before Tuesday afternoon.

AlienX
06-12-2010, 10:58 AM
What Channel is that on youtube? id like to watch it

bfisher
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
OK, I finally got my camera working and here are some pics. Maybe not the best but we'll see what they look like. It's a fairly simple machining job if you have or have access to a lathe. Again this is an aluminum rod with threads machined for the riser, and drilled and tapped at the other end for the hex head bolt. Notice the stainless steel washers on each side of the rubber weight.

alex
06-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures, Barry! The stabilizer looks great. I tought there are rubber "pucks" all over the rod. I may try this design too. :)

Montalaar
06-13-2010, 01:20 AM
What Channel is that on youtube? id like to watch it

Search for muntlar.

I have 3 general archery vids, one older vid about Martin cams and a bowhunting vid online. I plan to do a video about my different stabilization systems and one about shooting the ShadowCat.

Around August.

Montalaar
06-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures, Barry! The stabilizer looks great. I tought there are rubber "pucks" all over the rod. I may try this design too. :)

I found my rubber caps this morning and finished my design. Now i just need to remove some rubber from a limbsaver i have to put it onto the tip of the rod.

Yesterday i tried to make some of those bowjax myself. Maybe you known those rubber thingies to put on your stabilizer made by them? I made them out of an old Limbsaver i had. I made my ShadowCat absolutly vibration free. I am quite 'shocked'. Post will come next week. If you remember me. ;)

alex
06-13-2010, 01:48 AM
I found my rubber caps this morning and finished my design. Now i just need to remove some rubber from a limbsaver i have to put it onto the tip of the rod.

Yesterday i tried to make some of those bowjax myself. Maybe you known those rubber thingies to put on your stabilizer made by them? I made them out of an old Limbsaver i had. I made my ShadowCat absolutly vibration free. I am quite 'shocked'. Post will come next week. If you remember me. ;)

Oh, i do and will, just will be off-line till Tuesday. I know the bowjax, but can't understand how you can made it from limbsaver. Well, i'll see it the next week. I wonder can you make them from old tyre? By the way in YouTube there's quite funny quarrel between Limbsaver and Bowjax, each saying the competition's products are useless crap :D

alex
06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, my stabilizer is ready. Unfortunately i can't post pictures now. I've changed the design. Instead of hockey pucks or rubber wheels i used my favourite bow accessory - the rubber tips for cane (the same on my homemade STS) :D A friend of my grandfather's made on a lathe a 6mm 1 inch deep threaded hole in a cheap Perfect Line stabilizer, i've put a 6mm threaded rod in it with 3 rubber tips one after another, tightened with a nut and washer. Total lenght is 8 1/2" and weight is about a pound or a little less. Haven't tested it with my MOAB, but it does amazing job with my take-down recurve bow. Usually after a shot the tips of the limbs keep vibrating 1-2 seconds even when there's the Perfect Line 3" stabilizer, but with the new homemade one there's no vibration! Soon i'll put it on the MOAB and see how it'll perform. The best is that i can try different configurations - 8", 12" or 2 feet, i just need some more rubber tips :) If anybody's interested i'll upload pictures as soon as possible and make a little YouTube video.