PDA

View Full Version : limb cracks

Ehunter
06-13-2010, 03:52 AM
I was shooting my bow last night, and heard a distinct crack. I've looked at every inch of this thing (2009 Firecat), and can't find a thing wrong. Can't find a crack in the limbs, loose accessory, nothing. Any ideas on the best way to find a limb crack if it's really small? I hate to keep shooting the bow, and have it come apart if I missed something. Thanks for your help!

Montalaar
06-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Take some wool or something similar and rub it all over the limb. If you have a visible crack you will see it when some of the wool will stick to it. Also check if there is a delamination under the limb stickers.

bfisher
06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Instead of wool you could use a cotton ball. Most of the limb breakage has been right at the fork of the limb. Almost like a diagonal crack right in the apex of the fork. This has been on the 2009 bows. Depending on how much tension is on the limbs the crack can be very very subtle. Look real close.

Prior to that the limbs had two indents drilled on the underside where the limb rockers sat. This was another problem area. This the change to the Roto cups a couple years ago.

Ehunter
06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I tried the cotton ball trick, and even used a magnifying glass to look. Can't find a thing. Wondering if it was just a freak noise or something. It was a sharp, sudden crack, not a "splintering" kinda sound. Guess I'll check it one more time, then start shooting again, and check after every couple of shots for a while. Thanks again!