PDA

View Full Version : 2009 to 2010 limb conversion

gibson 787
06-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Back in January I purchased an 09 Warthog on AT. A month later the top limb cracked at the fork. I bought replacement limbs from my dealer in Australia and all was well.

I didn't shoot the Hog much as i was having a good time with my Alien. (bow that is). Any way, I thought as it was just sitting there gathering dust, I may as well sell it. I took it out of it's case and decided to have a few shots for old times sake. Well, it was like love the second time around, this bow felt and shot out of this world! So,the decision to sell her was immediately brushed and for the past few weeks she's rarely been out of my hands. But alas all good things come to an end. Yesterday at full draw, I heard the dreaded click. I let down and sure enough, exactly in the same spot as the first time ( top limb in the fork) was a virtical split. Crappos!!!

I thought if I simply replace the limbs once again, it will just be another case of 'Ground Hog Day'. I've read several posts here and on AT re changing to the 2010 limbs, one specifically by Barry. I firmly believe the problem, which appears to be a common one has probably been solved by Martin changing over to slimmer limbs (2010 models) which I feel would reduce the amount of twist on the limbs.

As I understant it, I will need the new limbs, the roto cups and axle kits. Importantly, the cams I have are Cat2, are these OK to complete the conversion, or am I up for new cams? I have emailed Martin, but it usually takes a while to get an answer.

Thanks all.

Spiker
06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Not 100% sure but I do believe you will need the new cams also.
The '10 ones with the sholdered bearings are a better set-up anyway as far as cam lean because they eliminate the plastic spacers.
p.s. Hows my team doing?
Scott

gibson 787
06-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks Scott. I was kind of under the impression that because the cams were Cat 2s and not Cats, that it would be OK, but maybe not. I guess if I had to get new cams, I would just can the exercise and get a 2010 Hog.

As a matter of fact I watched your team perform last night. Playing really well, they beat the Carlton Blues by a narrow margin. I think they're currently running second or third.

Dave

gibson 787
06-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Looks like I'll have to wait for Martin to get back to me.

Destroyer
06-21-2010, 05:57 AM
I heard the dreaded click. I let down and sure enough, exactly in the same spot as the first time ( top limb in the fork) was a virtical split.

Just happened to my bow TODAY!!! :mad: Exactly the same thing and with M-Pro's not cats? Too much of this happening.

I'm tossing up whether to get some Barnsdales or just trash it. I won't be buying martin limbs again that's for sure. Might not be buying Martin again either. This sucks.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Sucks for sure. I think the problem might not just be the limbs, where it happens indicates it's very likely a problem with the bow causing the limb to twist. I think that's the main reason they now use slimmer limbs. Mechanically, a slimmer limb will result in less twist. So buying Barnsdales may not solve the problem.

That's the reason I want to make the 09/10 conversion. I'm just waiting for someone on here to give me a definite answer as to wheather my Cat 2 cams are suitable for the conversion or not. Martin havn't got back to me yet, but that's not unusual!

Destroyer, I understand your frustration. Wouldn't it be great if we had a bunch of top line bow makers in our part of the world, things would be a lot easier, but I guess we don't have the population to make it financially viable. Archery is still a pretty minor industry, even in the US.

Montalaar
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Just a sidenote:
Even a quite good bowmaker would not solve the problems.

There is a great company in germany that produces high quality bows. They are even tougher than the high-end bows made in the US and absolutely up to date. Next year they will introduce their own carbon bow and so on.

Problem:
The bows are quite pricy and hard to get at all..

I know how you are feelign destroyer.
I read about ShadowCat limbs breaking the other day and talked to a friend of mien about it. 10 minutes later my second set broke.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Problem:
The bows are quite pricy and hard to get at all..

Yes, I think the problem stems from bow makers pushing things to the limit in order to gain FPS, all in a market that is quite limited and with probably too much competition.

Martins problem is further compounded because their niche is 'low cost plus good quality'. Wasn't a problem before this need for speed became a big issue.

However, with reference to the above quote, I certainly wouldn't mind waiting for and paying more for a quality bow that I had complete confidence in, as the wasted time and frustration caused by these problems, more than negates the extra cash outlay.

alex
06-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Well my friends, if you haven't noticed it, the time when you can buy something which can work well and last lifetime and then can be inherited by the next generation is over. The principle now is: buy-break-buy again...and again and again. Don't know what's the situation in the States, but here you can't find a good tool even if you're ready to pay extra . Everything is made in China and even the things which are not aren't better.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes Alex, I know exactly what you are saying and it has a lot to do with GREED, GREED and more GREED that the western world has created and now the eastern world is taking advantage of the massive wage imbalances by manufacturing at a fraction of the cost. I wonder how long it will be before China starts making archery equipment?

All that said, I don't think the cracked limb problem relates to the above, more likely SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED!!!!

Spiker
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks Scott. I was kind of under the impression that because the cams were Cat 2s and not Cats, that it would be OK, but maybe not. I guess if I had to get new cams, I would just can the exercise and get a 2010 Hog.

As a matter of fact I watched your team perform last night. Playing really well, they beat the Carlton Blues by a narrow margin. I think they're currently running second or third.

Dave

Like I said - I am not 100% sure. Martin does have a complete conversion kit.
There is a thread on it here somewhere but I cant find it now. If I do I will post it on here.

Spiker
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Like I said - I am not 100% sure. Martin does have a complete conversion kit.
There is a thread on it here somewhere but I cant find it now. If I do I will post it on here.

OOPs - wrong key - Martin does have a complete kit. I think that Barry would know but he hasn't responded (corrected me) yet so...
I have to think your right about the limb twist. hard to explain splitting at the fork otherwise - unless it is a stress fracture caused in manufacturing. I have an '09 Firecat that I have shot the snot out of without any issues but...
I also dont shoot it at 70# or maxed out. Max DW on it is 64# and I shoot it at 60# there is almost 0 cam lean at both brace and full draw and I shoot 390gn arrows with it - so...

And WhooHoo - - the Purple Tide is doing good!;)

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah Scott, been trying to find it myself. Just wish Martin would reply to my emails, with the time difference compounded by daylight saving and Martin closing at 4pm, it's very to difficult phone them!

bfisher
06-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Guys, I have been following this thread, but haven't responded because I thought you had things well in hand. Apparently my help is needed, but I can only say what I know or susepct.

There is the issue of a kit with all the parts. When I got my Alien Z it had the wrong cams, limbs, and strings. I called Joel and he sent me out the parts kit although it was for the wrong bow. Everything was packaged together and included cams, strings, axles, and Roto cups. The limbs were separate. So apparently Martin.Rytera makes these things up as a package; more than likely for those building the bows at the factory.

OK, that being said there is also the issue of whether the Cat2 cams will work. It is just my understanding that there are Cat cams and Cat2 cams. From looking at a 2009 catalog of the Warthog only the Cat cams were available that year. It's possible that Cats cams were put on some bows built later in 2009.

Whatever, the Cat2 cams you have should work with the new limbs, Roto caps and such. One way to tell is to look near the center of the cam where the cable take-up slot is located (hope this is understandable). On a Cat cam this groove is machined straight around the hub. The Cat2 cam has the groove machined on an angle so that when you draw the bow and the cable is rolled off the hub it rolls off and ends up closer to the center of the cam. I have pictures of this on the thread of rebuilding my 2008 FireCat.

I did just such a conversions some months ago with my 2008 FireCat. I got the 2010 limbs, roto cups, and new strings---no cams. Installed everything and when the bow was drawn the cams leaned badly---like maybe 15 degrees or so. That's when I called Joel and he informed me that the older Cat cam was not compatable with the new limbs style and subsequently sent me 2010 Cat2 cams. These work like a dream.

As for the limbs. Yes I too believe that Martin had a major issue with limbs on the 2009 and some 2008 bows. Most of the limbs I have seen or heard about all exhibited the same problem--longitudinal split right at the bottom of the limb fork. I split a limb while shooting a 50# bow at only 42#. Shouldn't happen and I can say this is the first time I have lost a limb in 37 years of shooting compound bows. I believe the limbs just couldn't hold up to the stresses on these modern bow designs. Unfortunately the consumer is the one who has to find this out. Considering that many of the splits were diagonal through the limb fork I believe the problem was(is) extreme limb twist at the forks creating a lot more stress on one of the forks, usually the one opposite of the cable guard.

So far I've had no isues with the newer 4 layer limbs. My Alien has Barnesdale limbs so I don't expect to ever have any problems with them. So now I'll sit back and wait for comments.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Great info Barry, thanks. I'll check out the groove in the cam as suggested. They are Cat2s however.

With regards to the limbs, I have just been informed by a dealer here in Australia that the new 2010 limbs are different in that the laminations are glued such that the fibres are running horizontally in one lamination and virtically in the next and so on. I can see how this would greatly help strength in twisting situations.

Thanks to all!
Dave

bfisher
06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
For the pictures you need to go to my thread entitled "My pics of my 2008 FireCat" dated 12/28/09. Can't believe it's been that long. And to think that now that I have my "Z" I'll most likely retire the FireCat.

When you view the cam from the end of the limb look for what I referred to as a spiral effect. It's not much, but it does work. Also take note that the cams are marked CAT 2. These are 2010 cams.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Barry, checked the cams and they are spiralled and also marked Cat 2, so hopefully I can make the change. Did you know about the virtical and horizontal laying of the glass fibres in the new limbs?

Dave

bfisher
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Barry, checked the cams and they are spiralled and also marked Cat 2, so hopefully I can make the change. Did you know about the virtical and horizontal laying of the glass fibres in the new limbs?

Dave

No, I hadn't been made aware of the construction of the limbs. Sounds like they're making them similar to old bias ply tires.

And now to ramble on. I used to shoot for XI. In 2006 they came out with a new limb design which they called Fusion Force limbs. At the ATA show that year they had a 70#, 30" draw Nemisis enclosed in a plexiglass case. In the case was also a machine that drew and dryfired the bow over and over and over. Every 1500 shots the bow was removed and new string/cables were put on. Those limbs were dry fired 5000 times with no damage. (I actually saw this and examined the limbs at a later date).

Makes me wonder why a company could come up with such technology 15 years ago, but it can't be done today even with newer, better materials.

Could it be that there is a lot more stress on bows today? I have no doubt. Oh, and my bow of choice that year was a Nemisis.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
I would say definitely a lot more stress, everythings pushed to the limit to get more speed.

I actually feel for Martin, they're a good solid long term company, but I reckon they'd be having a few sleepless nights. I certaibly wouldn't be a bow maker in this current climate!

Destroyer
06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I read about ShadowCat limbs breaking the other day and talked to a friend of mien about it. 10 minutes later my second set broke.

Second set :(

So buying Barnsdales may not solve the problem.

Hope not. Not much choice for limbs then!

I wonder how long it will be before China starts making archery equipment?

Already happening. Samick has a new 'State of the art' factory there.

I would say definitely a lot more stress, everythings pushed to the limit to get more speed.

Carbon arrows play a part imho. The difference in hand shock, noise and vibration when I shoot them out of my old Bear is staggering compared to alloy's. I wont shoot carbons from it anymore, too risky and too uncomfortable!

Wheel size is a BIG part of it too. Any lean and you have a much bigger 'lever' too add more twist. Maybe its the time for Martin to go for quad limbs, no cracking in the fork, nothing there to crack. ;)

Btw, I don't feel for Martin, there a business. If they cant get the limbs right they're not going to do well and deserve what they get. Their employee's I would feel sorry for though, would NOT like to see any of them out of a job.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Destroyer, did you read my post re the new 2010 limbs having the cross fibre laminations, maybe that's how all Barnsdales are made. If so, you might be OK with them. I'm still going with the complete 09/10 conversion on the Hog.

I'm pretty sure I havn't read about any Martin/Rytera 2010 limb failures??

Can't agree with you on Martin the company, I've read countless times about limb failures with all the top brands, so they're not Robinson Cruso there.

Have you ordered your new limbs from Barnsdales yet?

Destroyer
06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Have you ordered your new limbs from Barnsdales yet?

Nope. Contacted them for more info on shipping $$ and what finishes/options are available. With the AUS$ up a bit, its a good time to order.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Hang about, I do recall reading about a 2010 Shadowcat I think, but as I recall, it had something to do with ATA or brace height being a long way out.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
With the AUS$ up a bit, its a good time to order.

I would go for it as soon as poss, the AU$ is up on the Chinese currency revaluation, but the outcome has been inflated somewhat, so AU$ rally might be heading south in the near future.

Hey bet you're glad you didn't buy my Hog! just kiddin, I would've got you new limbs anyway!!!

Destroyer
06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey bet you're glad you didn't buy my Hog

Yeah just a bit. ;) Would have been good hey, buy another coz mine has limb problems and get the new bow and......................not good, not good! :D

I would go for it as soon as poss, the AU$ is up on the Chinese currency revaluation, but the outcome has been inflated somewhat, so AU$ rally might be heading south in the near future.

Thanks for the info Dave. Yep, asap. If the AUS$ will just hold on a bit longer.

Montalaar
06-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Hang about, I do recall reading about a 2010 Shadowcat I think, but as I recall, it had something to do with ATA or brace height being a long way out.

The ShadowCat have been recalled because .. oh .. i will not tell you. Just will upset some more people.

Just for your information: Many Manufacturers (Hoyt, PSE, ...) produce parts of their bows in China. I am sure that even Martin gets parts like axles, e-clips, washers and so on from China.
Made in China equals not always bad quality. But most of the time bad working conditions. Look at the iPod or the iPad.

gibson 787
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
The ShadowCat have been recalled because .. oh .. i will not tell you. Just will upset some more people.

Oh dear! Does the recall involve the 2010 Shadowcat only, or do I have concerns with my Alien X?

Spiker
06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Guys, I have been following this thread, but haven't responded because I thought you had things well in hand. Apparently my help is needed, but I can only say what I know or susepct.

There is the issue of a kit with all the parts. When I got my Alien Z it had the wrong cams, limbs, and strings. I called Joel and he sent me out the parts kit although it was for the wrong bow. Everything was packaged together and included cams, strings, axles, and Roto cups. The limbs were separate. So apparently Martin.Rytera makes these things up as a package; more than likely for those building the bows at the factory.

OK, that being said there is also the issue of whether the Cat2 cams will work. It is just my understanding that there are Cat cams and Cat2 cams. From looking at a 2009 catalog of the Warthog only the Cat cams were available that year. It's possible that Cats cams were put on some bows built later in 2009.

Whatever, the Cat2 cams you have should work with the new limbs, Roto caps and such. One way to tell is to look near the center of the cam where the cable take-up slot is located (hope this is understandable). On a Cat cam this groove is machined straight around the hub. The Cat2 cam has the groove machined on an angle so that when you draw the bow and the cable is rolled off the hub it rolls off and ends up closer to the center of the cam. I have pictures of this on the thread of rebuilding my 2008 FireCat.

I did just such a conversions some months ago with my 2008 FireCat. I got the 2010 limbs, roto cups, and new strings---no cams. Installed everything and when the bow was drawn the cams leaned badly---like maybe 15 degrees or so. That's when I called Joel and he informed me that the older Cat cam was not compatable with the new limbs style and subsequently sent me 2010 Cat2 cams. These work like a dream.

As for the limbs. Yes I too believe that Martin had a major issue with limbs on the 2009 and some 2008 bows. Most of the limbs I have seen or heard about all exhibited the same problem--longitudinal split right at the bottom of the limb fork. I split a limb while shooting a 50# bow at only 42#. Shouldn't happen and I can say this is the first time I have lost a limb in 37 years of shooting compound bows. I believe the limbs just couldn't hold up to the stresses on these modern bow designs. Unfortunately the consumer is the one who has to find this out. Considering that many of the splits were diagonal through the limb fork I believe the problem was(is) extreme limb twist at the forks creating a lot more stress on one of the forks, usually the one opposite of the cable guard.

So far I've had no isues with the newer 4 layer limbs. My Alien has Barnesdale limbs so I don't expect to ever have any problems with them. So now I'll sit back and wait for comments.

I'm still a bit confused on this cam change thing.
Is my thinking all wrong here?
'08 C.A.T. cams have a straight cable track and wont work because of cam lean and the cables rubbing on the sides of the modules. (original issue)
'09 C.A.T. 2 cams will work because they have the helical cable tracks.
--However, you will have to use thin spacers on each side of them because they are thinner than the inside width of the '10 limbs and their bearings are pressed in flush with the cams.
'10 C.A.T. 2's will obviously work because they have the helical cable track and have the 'shouldered' bearings which eliminate the spacers - hence helping to eliminate cam lean.
If all that is correct - then it makes a lot more sense to go with all '10 parts.
Plus the '10 modules are rounded off on the outside to help with the cables rubbing on them...
Barry - does the cams you put on your firecat have the shouldered bearings ('10's) or did you have to use spacers ('09's)??
...or do I have it all totally wrong...???...

Montalaar
06-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Oh dear! Does the recall involve the 2010 Shadowcat only, or do I have concerns with my Alien X?

ShadowCat only. :)

baerman
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Mr. Fisher,
I've had problems with my new '09 Warthog making intermittent cracking sounds upon the draw, with Martin simply saying that I need to lube the roto cup. I had that done, and it still is makiing that cracking sound. I'm convinced that I too have defective limbs.....that there is a crack in there that simply hasn't blown apart yet. How do I get Martin to replace what are obviously defective limbs.....they just keep blowing me off. Any suggestions???? Please help.
________
volcano digital review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

gibson 787
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm still a bit confused on this cam change thing.
Is my thinking all wrong here?
'08 C.A.T. cams have a straight cable track and wont work because of cam lean and the cables rubbing on the sides of the modules. (original issue)
'09 C.A.T. 2 cams will work because they have the helical cable tracks.
--However, you will have to use thin spacers on each side of them because they are thinner than the inside width of the '10 limbs and their bearings are pressed in flush with the cams.
'10 C.A.T. 2's will obviously work because they have the helical cable track and have the 'shouldered' bearings which eliminate the spacers - hence helping to eliminate cam lean.
If all that is correct - then it makes a lot more sense to go with all '10 parts.
Plus the '10 modules are rounded off on the outside to help with the cables rubbing on them...
Barry - does the cams you put on your firecat have the shouldered bearings ('10's) or did you have to use spacers ('09's)??
...or do I have it all totally wrong...???...

Very sure you got it right Scott. As long as I get narrow spacers with the axle kits, all should be OK. Comparing the spacers on my Hog and my 09 Alien, which incidently doesn't seem to have the shouldered bearings, the Alien spacers are much thinner. I guess the 09 Ryteras still used spacers.

Appreciate everyones input, thanks all.

bfisher
06-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Mr. Fisher,
I've had problems with my new '09 Warthog making intermittent cracking sounds upon the draw, with Martin simply saying that I need to lube the roto cup. I had that done, and it still is makiing that cracking sound. I'm convinced that I too have defective limbs.....that there is a crack in there that simply hasn't blown apart yet. How do I get Martin to replace what are obviously defective limbs.....they just keep blowing me off. Any suggestions???? Please help.[/QUOTE]

There isn't much I can help with. As I've said before, I am just a shooter. I have no authority to do anything when it comes to dictating company policy.

I will tell you that my FireCat makes a little cracking noise when I first draw it. The limb sets on two plastic button that fit into counterbores in the Roto-cup. I think the noise is just a little flexing of the limb on these plastic buttons. Probably all that I'd need to do is tear the bow down and put some lithium or silicon grease between the button and the limb, and while at it grease everything else I can think of.

This is not the first bow that I've encountered this type of noise from. There have been several over the last 15 years. Usually the noise comes from womehwere within the limb rockers. And for what it's worth this cracking noise was not present with the original limbs. Just came about with the change to 2010 parts. At first I thought it sounded like a limb splitting, but careful inspection showed the limbs were not the culprit. Since then I just ignore it.

If you suspect a limb then one way I've found to check for cracks in the fork is to just grab the cam and twist it a little from side to side while looking into the apex of the fork. If the limb is cracked you'll see it. Other than that a shop is the best inspector. Till then just enjoy shooting the bow.

bfisher
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
OK, the Cat 2 cams on my FireCat have spacers. Thin ones. Apparently Martin went to the shouldered bearing at a later date. Remember, I got these parts in December. They've made a some of changes since then.

OK, somebody in the know enlighten me. What's the recall all about with the ShadowCat? Simon, you ought to know. PM me.

gibson 787
06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
G'Day everyone, I'll bet you're all sick of this thread by now, however I spoke with my Aussie Martin dealer couple of hours ago and the axle kits plus slim spacers and roto cups will cost me $80 TMD. I get the new limbs under warranty as I bought the cracked ones from him. I can use my existing 09 Cat2 cams

One last question before we put this one to bed, does anyone know if the $80 is about right for the roto cups, and axle kits?

bfisher
06-23-2010, 05:02 AM
These are retail prices as per my 2010 parts catalog

Axle kit.....$18.02
Roto Cup...$27.37

This is in USD. I don't know if the price for the Roto cups is for one or a pair. I would think it's for one, but it's not specified. So all in all I'd say even if it's for the pair you're looking at $45 or so, plus shipping, tax, etc.

Hope this helps.

gibson 787
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
These are retail prices as per my 2010 parts catalog

Axle kit.....$18.02
Roto Cup...$27.37

This is in USD. I don't know if the price for the Roto cups is for one or a pair. I would think it's for one, but it's not specified. So all in all I'd say even if it's for the pair you're looking at $45 or so, plus shipping, tax, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Barry

That's good, even in the best scenario, with shipping and our $ conversion AU$80 is about right give or take a buck or 2. Just nice to know my Aussie dealer is being fair.

Thanks to all

Montalaar
06-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Just by the way:

Too sad that the Aussie team did not made it to the 1/8 finales. Just 3 more goals. :(

gibson 787
06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Just by the way:

Too sad that the Aussie team did not made it to the 1/8 finales. Just 3 more goals.

There were tears in my porridge:mad::confused:

alex
06-23-2010, 01:52 PM
This year the World Cup is so pathetic. A bunch of tired millionаirеs who pretend to play football. It's a pity that Australia is out, they and New Zealand are the only fresh and attractive teams. Simon, no offence, but after half an hour of tonight's Germany match i prefered to watch some pictures of Angelina Jollie's humanitarian missions :D
P.S. Sorry for the non-archery post!

gibson 787
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM

No problems with the non-archery stuff and I totally agree with your sentiments, to me it just didn't feel like a real world cup. The whole atmosphere was really flat.

And thanks for the compliments for us Aussies and our brothers next door!

alex
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM

No problems with the non-archery stuff and I totally agree with your sentiments, to me it just didn't feel like a real world cup. The whole atmosphere was really flat.

And thanks for the compliments for us Aussies and our brothers next door!

You're welcome! :) I was wondering why do you buy all your spare parts, isn't your bow under warranty?

Montalaar
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I agree.

But in my eyes most of the games are not as good as they were the last time. in 2006 i volunteered and participated at some of the finales here. That was AWESOME atmosphere. This time it is often just boring. Not even the game but also the whole atmosphere.

And i have to agree one more time:
The game germany - ghana was somewhat boring. I did some university stuff while watching.

I hope that at least the all whites will make it! Let's see some haka..

gibson 787
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
You're welcome! I was wondering why do you buy all your spare parts, isn't your bow under warranty?

Hi Alex

OK, I only buy parts for bows I have bought second hand on AT and the Warthog is one of those. Several of my Martins were bought locally and they all have the life time warranty.

The reason I bought the Warthog second hand was $$$$$. In Australia, it retails for around AU$ 1300.00, whereas, to my door second hand from the US, the Warthog cost me approx. AU$ 500.00. That was when our dollar was at 93 cents however.

I have found also, that the local Martin dealer, Archery Mart, can sell me parts at a very reasonable price, in most cases lower than what they would cost me had I bought them from Martin.

All the best
Dave

alex
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Alex

OK, I only buy parts for bows I have bought second hand on AT and the Warthog is one of those. Several of my Martins were bought locally and they all have the life time warranty.

The reason I bought the Warthog second hand was $$$$$. In Australia, it retails for around AU$ 1300.00, whereas, to my door second hand from the US, the Warthog cost me approx. AU$ 500.00. That was when our dollar was at 93 cents however.

I have found also, that the local Martin dealer, Archery Mart, can sell me parts at a very reasonable price, in most cases lower than what they would cost me had I bought them from Martin.

All the best
Dave

I see now, Dave. It's cool you've found a good dealer. By the way how many Martin bows do you have? :D

alex
06-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree.

But in my eyes most of the games are not as good as they were the last time. in 2006 i volunteered and participated at some of the finales here. That was AWESOME atmosphere. This time it is often just boring. Not even the game but also the whole atmosphere.

And i have to agree one more time:
The game germany - ghana was somewhat boring. I did some university stuff while watching.

I hope that at least the all whites will make it! Let's see some haka..

Yeah, the 2006 World Cup was great, but unfortunately Italy won :D Let's hope the next matches will be more interesting. Alas for New Zealand!

Montalaar
06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, the 2006 World Cup was great, but unfortunately Italy won :D Let's hope the next matches will be more interesting. Alas for New Zealand!

I watched the game germany vs. italy as i was a 'security volunteer' at that location. Man, i miss that times. So many nice people just meeting to enjoy the game and have fun..

gibson 787
06-24-2010, 12:29 PM
see now, Dave. It's cool you've found a good dealer. By the way how many Martin bows do you have?

In total, six Martin/Rytera bows. First one bought in 1980 and the last May 2010.

There are 4 Martin dealers in Australia but the closest to me is over 500 ks away, none in my state and it's amazing how the prices vary from dealer to dealer! Luckily the shipping is fairly cheap within Australia.

gibson 787
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Completed the Hog 2009-2010 conversion today. Had to do a lot of cable twisting as the ATA was 1/2" long and brace height 3/8" short.

Finally got everything to spec, tuned the cams, nock point etc and took her outside. Tell you what, building a draw board was a worthwhile exercise, sure helps with cam timing.

Anyway outside and I got off 40 or so shots then set about tuning bare and fletched shafts through paper at 5, 10 and 20 yards. Ten minutes later, bullet holes!

With 410 gr arrow, 65# DW and 29" DL, Im getting 290fps which is about the same as it shot prior to the conversion. I could probably advance the cams a little, but I'll wait til it settles in a bit more.

Been a good day except I missed out on getting tickets for the Eagles concert in December. 3 shows sold out in 30 minutes!!! Crappos!!! Wife will not be happy.