PDA

View Full Version : Question on Cheetah Purchase

O man
06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm debating on getting a new bow this season and due to lack of cash this year
as last year I'm on a tight budget. I was thinking of getting a Cheetah or comparably priced Bear. Bow tech, and Hoyt sell two of the bows I would love to buy but are way out of my price range. My question is; Is the Cheetah with good components a good hunting bow? I also practice year round so I reliability is key. Would like any Cheetah owners thoughts. Thanks

alex
06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm not a Cheetah owner, but the bow is good. Still if you have the money you'd better buy the Bengal or some older (like 2008) MOAB. They have longer axle-to-axle and this helps to perform better in my opinion. Also these models cause less issues then the Cheetah i guess. Whichever you choose it'll be a good bow if you take good care of it and tune it well. Good luck!

J758
06-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I own a bone hunter same bow as cheetah just dicks name. Very nice bow as a matter of fact I would never part from it for anything! I'm sure if you get any martin product you will enjoy it!

tommyhydro
06-20-2010, 05:29 PM
i personally love my cheetah, for me the short ATA is great in the blind/stand....but then again i don't shoot many competitions. set it up right and it will rival any of the "big" manufacturers rigs out there. hope this helps :D

MastaMarksman
06-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I too have a 2009 Bone Hunter (Cheetah) from Dick's Sporting Goods and I Love it!

I have done a little work to mine, Put the CCS system w/ 1/2" longer cable & a RipCord Code Red Drop away rest..

I shoot 3"-4" groups with it. It's an awesome bow. I don't have a chrony so I don't know what speed i'm shooting, But there is another guy on here that said with the 70lb limbs he's shooting 289fps!

Bear also makes a great bow, My wife has a Bear Young Gun and that bow is almost completely scilent!

I don't know if you have a Gander Mountain near by, but they have a Cheetah with cloaked (Camo) cams & CCS system with a sight & Trophy Taker drop down rest for $499! Gander also gives you a 1yr free use of their range, which is a nice bonus.

-Masta

O man
06-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Masta, did you notice an improvement when you added the CCS? I did like the
Bear I shot because is was smooth and quiet but I didn't get the chance to shoot
the Cheetah because the place was closing and he didn't have time to set it up.
I had a deer jump the string on me this past season and thought to myself "a quieter bow sure would be nice right now". :rolleyes: I like the look and feel
of the Martin bow better than the Bear But won't get to shoot it until Tuesday.
If I get The Cheetah I'm going to set it up with a new Apache Drop Away,Limb Saver stabilizer,and Limb savers, and the string stop martin makes for it, and my True Glo Extreme site. I have the cash and the thumbs up from the wife so I might be tuning it Wednesday night.

O man
06-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Also, Thanks guys for the feed back.

MastaMarksman
06-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Masta, did you notice an improvement when you added the CCS? I did like the
Bear I shot because is was smooth and quiet but I didn't get the chance to shoot
the Cheetah because the place was closing and he didn't have time to set it up.
I had a deer jump the string on me this past season and thought to myself "a quieter bow sure would be nice right now". :rolleyes: I like the look and feel
of the Martin bow better than the Bear But won't get to shoot it until Tuesday.
If I get The Cheetah I'm going to set it up with a new Apache Drop Away,Limb Saver stabilizer,and Limb savers, and the string stop martin makes for it, and my True Glo Extreme site. I have the cash and the thumbs up from the wife so I might be tuning it Wednesday night.

By all means go with which ever bow is more comfortable, don't buy one just because it's quieter if the other is more comfortable.

I believe if you have the STS & CCS & string scilencers, the Cheetah is a very smooth and quiet bow.

The CCS makes the bow alot smoother. But if you can buy it factory equipted with CCS it'll save you some $$.

I don't know if there is a Dick's near you? But the Bone Hunter comes with the STS & String Jax already installed with a NAP 360 Capture rest and an Apex Atomic 3-pin sight for $399.

I don't know if there is a Gander Mountain near you? But as I mentioned they have a Cheetah with STS & CCS & Trophy Taker drop away rest and a sight for $499 (Best Deal I've seen!)

The Trophy Taker drop away rest is identical to the Apache drop away. I'm pretty sure Apache coppied Trophy Taker.

HTH

-Masta

O man
06-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I think your right on the comfort factor. The Dicks near me
though is terrible in there archery section right now. I looked at a Bone Hunter that had been dry fired that the string was broken on and the cam was damaged and it was still on display! I told the MNGR he should zip tie the strings and cables before someone gets hurt. I checked the bow out to see if everything else was good and offered to buy it from them for a deal but he would only give me $50 off. I told him the cam and the string and cable set will cost me over hundred bucks, no thanks. I went back the other day and that bow is still on display and can still be dry fired. Hopefully, some poor kid won't have it explode on him. Thats my local Dicks. There are good ones don't get me wrong.

polaris754
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
one summary after another ,point in fact is the dudes at dicks are DICKS ! need i say any more , thank u this has been a paid advertisement for dicks r us :mad:

bronko22000
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I got a Cheetah in 45 -60# range. I love it. It is the smoothest, most accurate and quietest bow I have ever shot. I have it set up at 50#, a NAP Apache rest and HTM bow sight. The only 'extra' hardware I have on it is an aftermarket string stop which helps quiet it. And this bow is 'fast enough'.

J758
06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah I shoot 289 with it paper tuned it cams timed perfect! I'm shooting 70 pound draw 380 grain arrow nothing on the string and yet it is really quiet ut a ripcord fall away on it and I'm shooting 30 and in! I'm tellin ya I would get it in a heart beat well any martin bow for that matter! Sure there faster bows but I really would sugest shooting a lot of bows before ya buy! My first bow here and I've shot everyday and I can only shoot one arrow targets!

mlawrenc
07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I recently bought and 09 model Cheetah and have shot it about 50 times. I sincerely love it. I shot so many bows before i settled on the cheetah, many different brands and models. For the price and accessories it is definatly worth it in my book. Right out of the box i was shooting the block at 30 yards no problem. minimal sight adjustments, and key form. my recommendation is the cheetah or bone hunter.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I switched from Bowtech to Martin. Well I sold my Bowtech to help get my gf a crossbow for this fall. Let me say im glad I did. I was able to get most of the money back from the Bowtech. I got the Cheetah for $315 from a dealer. Im shooting just as good. I needed to shoot a little harder poundage. But I am very comfortable with it and the pricetag is so much better.

The Cheetah has the same exact specs as a Mathews DXT for the most part and its like $500 less. Shoots the same speed as well. I love this analogy, you don't always have to buy nike shoes to have quality shoes. :D