PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah cams on Leopard bow?

HB999
06-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I am fairly new to the compound game, and having moved from recurve to compound bought a Leopard as the draw length was fairly short, like my recurve draw length.
I have now played a bit and shot the bow for a while, I now need to increase the draw length but am on the max for the Leopard cams. I have looked at the Cheetah and see its the same axle length, so does that mean I can put Cheetah cams on my Leopard bow to get a longer draw lengh?
What will it do to the bow? speed up/slow down? increase/decrease draw weight? will I need new cables and strings?
I realise these are probably basic questions, but consider me a compound novice and just starting to learn the intricacies of the art of shooting compound!!
Thanks for your help,
HB

Montalaar
06-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome to this forum.

The leopard uses the small version of the martin Singlecam. It is right that there is a possibility to swap the cams. There are just a few problems coming along with it:

You will have to buy the new Cams.
You will have to buy new strings and cables.
Eventually you will even hace to buy new limbs as the larger cams will change the stress on the limbs.

And the - in my opinion - biggest problem is that nobody has done that before and you will be somewhat of a guinea pig.

It might be much mroe cheaper and even secure for you to get a NEW Cheetah or even a Bengal instead.

J758
06-20-2010, 02:27 PM
I think that by the time you got the cams,limbs,string,cable you probally could get a new cheetah! Unless you just have the money to play with I would consider getting another bow.

bfisher
06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
The boys have pointed out the economics of such a swap. They are right. Your best option is to sell or trade the Leopard and buy the bow you want.

Bottom line is, if buying new parts, it's about $200 cheaper to trade or sell and just buy a Cheetah.

HB999
06-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks guys, I had a suspicion it might be simpler just to change the bow-but thought it was worth an ask.
My problem with the Cheetah or the Bengal is that I need th 40lb bow, as due to injury I cant manage the 50, and as far as I can see the Leopard is the only one that drops to 40.
Any ideas?

Spiker
06-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks guys, I had a suspicion it might be simpler just to change the bow-but thought it was worth an ask.
My problem with the Cheetah or the Bengal is that I need th 40lb bow, as due to injury I cant manage the 50, and as far as I can see the Leopard is the only one that drops to 40.
Any ideas?

The Cheetah and Bengal with 50# limbs can both be turned down to 35#.
Draw length on both those is 25"-30".
Draw length on the Leopard is only 21"-26".

bfisher
06-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Any ideas?

If you are working through a dealer you coul have him check with Martin. Many times you can special order a bow with lighter limbs that would be just what you want. Just because it's not a normal production bow doesn't mean it can't be built. Maybe it can't be had or there would be a fairly long wait, but you never know till you ask.

Doberman55
06-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Go to Dick's Sporting Goods and get the Monster Buck Hunter...it's the Leopard riser with Cheetah limbs and M-2 cams. Sounds like it's exactly what you need.