PDA

View Full Version : Painting

Unregistered
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I've heard that if you use regular spray paint on the limbs that it will start to crack after awhile, what is the best way to paint the limbs of a bow?

gibson 787
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm fairly sure regular paint would crack. Do a search on this forum and also archerytalk.com on 'painting limbs'. I know I've read threads on this but can't recall what the solution was.

Good luck.

bfisher
06-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I did do this many years ago with an Olympus bow. Painstakingly prepared the riser and limbs and did a top notch job with the paint. And in the end cracks appeared in the paint. Never again. Prettiest silver blue riser you ever saw and clear coating over that. White limbs. A waste of time, but at least I learned from it.

You're probably better off to find somebody that film dips the limbs. If you're picky about the riser the best finish is powder coating.

Montalaar
06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
You're probably better off to find somebody that film dips the limbs. If you're picky about the riser the best finish is powder coating.

poweder coating? I do not agree. In my eyes the best solution would be to andoize it. The only problem is to prepare the riser for anodizing. :)

scepterman30x
06-24-2010, 05:57 AM
poweder coating? I do not agree. In my eyes the best solution would be to andoize it. The only problem is to prepare the riser for anodizing. :)

I think Barry meant that out of the type of "coatings" powder coating is the best.
Barry, you mentioned that it did not do so well on the bow you refinished...but how did the riser hold up after clearcoating? Martin is painting their bows now and it does not hold up so well so I was thinking of putting a clearcoat over the factory paint job to better guard against wear...especially in the handle area.

bfisher
06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
I think Barry meant that out of the type of "coatings" powder coating is the best.
Barry, you mentioned that it did not do so well on the bow you refinished...but how did the riser hold up after clearcoating? Martin is painting their bows now and it does not hold up so well so I was thinking of putting a clearcoat over the factory paint job to better guard against wear...especially in the handle area.

The clear coating is what developed all the cracks. It wasn't as bad as I made it sound though. That darn riser looked like a piece of tempered glass with a silver blue under layment. Unique, if that's the right word to use.

Simon, I did think of anodizing after I finished. I just got too lazy to write it. I should have figured one of you guys would call me out on it. That's OK. But I would say that at least with powder coating there are a lot more options.

scepterman30x
06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
The clear coating is what developed all the cracks. It wasn't as bad as I made it sound though. That darn riser looked like a piece of tempered glass with a silver blue under layment. Unique, if that's the right word to use.

Simon, I did think of anodizing after I finished. I just got too lazy to write it. I should have figured one of you guys would call me out on it. That's OK. But I would say that at least with powder coating there are a lot more options.

Did the cracks accur in the clearcoating on the riser or did you just clearcoat the limbs?

Montalaar
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM

It is just much more easier to do... And also cheaper.. :)

DeepRiverBowman
06-25-2010, 12:15 AM
I've never clear-coated limbs, but my experience with using flat paint on hunting bows has been very positive. I've had no problems with the paint jobs I've done. I even used a faux-granite finish on the riser of an Oneida with flat black limbs that still looks (and shoots) great.

mike

Destroyer
06-25-2010, 09:43 PM
What type of paints are you using Mike?

dreamless54
07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I have painted 1 time with excellent results, both in appearance and durability. It took 2 attempts (different types of paint) finally settling on Testers plastic model spray enamel (very thin coats with 24 hr. dry time between 2 coats) metallic blue riser with white limbs.:

Destroyer
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Model paint? Been told that before but never tried it. I would expect to be pretty good quality paint.