PDA

View Full Version : 09 moab string wear

pscm
06-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I just recently replaced my string due to wear in several places (due to lack of serving) with a custom string. I was thrilled after setting up with performance and no peep twist. After about 60 shots I noticed that the serving where the string exits the idler wheel on the forward side is already wearing pretty severely. Appears that the cable sts pulley system string pull along with sharp edge of idler wheel is the problem. Is there any warranty options or am I left with removing the wheel and honing the edges myself. Seems to me that I have seen other complaints of similar nature.

Thanks for any input.

gibson 787
06-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah look.....I have an 09 Moab and I love her dearly. But..I had exactly the same problem, so I served the string over the idler wheel and served the cables where they pass through the STS and I havn't looked back. It really needs to be done and I must say that I was a little disappointed with Martin that it wasn't done in the beginning. They would have recouped the cost in public relations.

I doubt if warranty will cover this, but there is no harm in trying. Also, I just ordered string and cable from hmbowstrings.com (inclusive of all the above serving) and the cost is well under $50.00! and I know from past experience, the quality will be up there with the best.

All the best with it.

Destroyer
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I just ordered string and cable from hmbowstrings.com (inclusive of all the above serving) and the cost is well under $50.00!

Is that with post included Dave?

Destroyer
06-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Is there any warranty options or am I left with removing the wheel and honing the edges myself.

I'd take it back and try to get it fixed under warranty. Why should you have to pay for a manufacturing or a design problem.

gibson 787
06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Is that with post included Dave?

Yes sir Destroyer, that is inclusive of post.

pscm
06-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I had my strings made by jbk and I did have them served in all the places discussed and I served my factory string because of this as well. I couldn't stand it so I took off the idler wheel and took the edges off last night. I will see how it does. I may also call Martin and see what they can do.

jasenswisher1974
06-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I have been having a bad time with my 09 bengal. My string started fraying so I added an CCS. Once this was added my bow started have all this noise. My former bowtech must have lost one of the bushings between the wheels on the CCS and my brand new Americas best bowstring started fraying in the same spot. My new tech is going to call martin and get this right. I would check to see if you have 3 bushings on your CCS. One of my wheels makes a noise when you draw and release because it moves side to side. Plus my former tech screwed up my QAD rest cause when he installed my CCS because he didn't check the tension on the ripcord. When I shot the bow the rest wasn't dropping away and the arrow broke it by the time I figured out what the heck was going on. He was to busy to do a thorough job because he was getting ready to leave for an IBO shoot. I know stuff happens but hopefully my CCS gets straightend out this week.

Destroyer
06-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes sir Destroyer, that is inclusive of post.

Sweet. This is where my next cables are coming from.

I couldn't stand it

Amazing how it can get to you hey. Hope it works out for you mate. :)

Korak
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
After only a couple dozen shots, my 09 Moab's string was cut by the wheel in the same spot, as it comes off. I went back to my dealer, he called Martin and a week later I got my bow back with a new string amd a wider wheel. The wheel is, appearently, the same one on the 10 TR1.

pscm
06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Spoke with Joel today. He suggested I find a happy balance in setting the idler wheel lean. I believe I can can even out the difference between where the string exits the wheel on both sides though this will give me an obvious lean on the arrow side of the string. If it doesn't affect performance I will be happy.

Destroyer
06-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I went back to my dealer, he called Martin and a week later I got my bow back with a new string and a wider wheel. The wheel is, apparently, the same one on the 10 TR1.

Great outcome Korak! This is what should happen.

He suggested I find a happy balance in setting the idler wheel lean.

This is a load of sh*t! Just hope it doesn't put enough twist on the limb that it fails. Any way, I hope it works out.