PDA

View Full Version : What is this Bow?

nzgrip
06-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Can anyone give me any info on what bow this? Exact model, year etc etc, couldn't even find an image of the same bow on google.

Thanks

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/nzgrip/Image0043.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/nzgrip/Image0045.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/nzgrip/Image0044.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/nzgrip/Image0046.jpg

Montalaar
06-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Martin Slayer, probably from 2006.
Limbs are 16" SE limbs.
Cams are Nitrous Cams (C base, that means the largest of three sizes) with the shoot through system.

Search for Martin Slayer X to find more pictures. In 2008 the bow has been produced with CAT-Cams instead. In 2009 it has been discontinued and replaced by the Martin Warthog.

nzgrip
06-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks for that, just downloaded the 2006 manual.

What are peoples opinion of this bow? Anything i need to know good or bad, things i should do or change?

This is my first bow.

Cheers

alex
06-27-2010, 06:31 AM
I'd like to have one :D May be isn't the best bow to start archery with, but is a great shooter if you are an experienced archer. If you have no experience with compound bows, my first advice is to lower the draw leight to about 45 pounds. I wouldn't touch anything for now, just put a good (long enough) stabilizer. If you have any questions we all will be glad to help. :)

J758
06-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm busy drooling over that right now. Very nice bow just crank her down and shoot a hundred times a day and you will be fine. Form is the key starting out. I would even consider getting a coach if I were u justs starting out!

bcriner
06-27-2010, 08:25 AM
FYI...those are 14" SE limbs. SE limbs were never offered in 16". The 16" limbs just say Martin, not SE.

elkslayer4x5
06-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that, just downloaded the 2006 manual.

What are peoples opinion of this bow? Anything i need to know good or bad, things i should do or change?

This is my first bow.

Cheers

2006 Slayer was my first compound bow, and as you can see in my signature, I like 'em, even if they are a bit heavy. Nothing has changed on either of my Slayers since I first set them up, over three years on the 60 #er, gonna need new rigging on that bow after Deer season is over, can't change now, my Deer season starts Jul 10th. Fuzzy horned Blacktails!

J758
06-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Your so lucky your season starts soon! Our bow season doesn't come untill october! Very nice bow huh! I got back on just to look at the pic again!

Spiker
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=nzgrip;27989]Can anyone give me any info on what bow this? Exact model, year etc etc, couldn't even find an image of the same bow on google.

Thanks

That is a GREAT bow and looks to be in excellent condition.!!!

Montalaar
06-27-2010, 12:13 PM
FYI...those are 14" SE limbs. SE limbs were never offered in 16". The 16" limbs just say Martin, not SE.

You are right, i am sorry for my mistake.

I always wanted a Slayer. Unfortunately it is just too short for me. :D

nzgrip
06-28-2010, 03:02 AM
I'd like to have one :D May be isn't the best bow to start archery with, but is a great shooter if you are an experienced archer. If you have no experience with compound bows, my first advice is to lower the draw leight to about 45 pounds. I wouldn't touch anything for now, just put a good (long enough) stabilizer. If you have any questions we all will be glad to help. :)

so why do you say it's not the best bow to start with? And what would be a minimum length stabilizer to use? this will be used for some hunting rather than target.

Gotta say knowing the year and model has made it a lot easier to get info about it:)

wisecane
06-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Slayers are awful bows, just terrible. But since you are new here and we want to make sure you feel welcome, I'll take it off your hands for $100 U.S.

Spiker
06-28-2010, 09:47 AM
so why do you say it's not the best bow to start with? And what would be a minimum length stabilizer to use? this will be used for some hunting rather than target.

Gotta say knowing the year and model has made it a lot easier to get info about it:)

Sent ya a PM.

alex
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM

It's a dual cam bow,also has a shorter brace height which is a little hard to shoot if you're a newbie. That's all :) If you lower the poundage at the beggining this will help and after some practise you can go back to the higher poundage. About the stabilizer - i believe such a bow needs a good stabilizer, especially for a begginer - it will absorb some of the vibrations and may be will help with the hand shock (if this bow has any). The longer stabilizers work better, but you can also try Limbsaver X-Coil, i've heard only good things about it.

alex
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Slayers are awful bows, just terrible. But since you are new here and we want to make sure you feel welcome, I'll take it off your hands for $100 U.S.

Yeah, i'm ready to give a little extra - around 125$, just because i'm a generous person. ;) :D :D

Montalaar
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
125$ tyd? Oh well..

I take it for 150$ + postage fees.

alex
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Simon, do you really want to outbid me for this terrible bow? Just think about these useless Nitrous cams and the pathetic speed of this old bow... :p
Now serious - Nzgrip, you've taken a great bow, have a nice time with it! If you have any questions this forum is the right place. Stay in touch!

bcriner
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I have a set of those Nitrous "C" cams (silver) lying around that I took off of my BulletX...I don't want them. I have a set of cat cams to replace them.

alex
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a set of those Nitrous "C" cams (silver) lying around that I took off of my BulletX...I don't want them. I have a set of cat cams to replace them.

Does your bow have reinforced limbs? The CAT cams can be used only with them as far as i know.

bcriner
06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, I have a set of limbs too. Been shooting Martins for 22 years. Well aware of most all the custom rigs and changes and requirements. I think it will be a good shooter.

Destroyer
06-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Does your bow have reinforced limbs?

Whats the difference? Any pics showing them?

Montalaar
06-28-2010, 10:11 PM
bcriner,

all bows using CAT-Cams need to have reinforced limb tips. If you check your limb you will see a bolt going through the limb on both sides where the axle goes through it. This will prevent the limb from splitting in this position.

If you do not find a reinforcement your limbs are not useable with CAT-Cams.

bcriner
06-29-2010, 06:45 AM
That is what I was saying. I have them. I ordered the reinforced limbs when I ordered the cams. I just have to get strings for it. The parts are lying around to go on the bow. I meant being a dealer, I am well aware of what was needed. Mine are the reinforced ones.

alex
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
That is what I was saying. I have them. I ordered the reinforced limbs when I ordered the cams. I just have to get strings for it. The parts are lying around to go on the bow. I meant being a dealer, I am well aware of what was needed. Mine are the reinforced ones.

Good luck with your project! When you're ready, please show us some pictures :)

wisecane
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
What is the deflection on the limbs? And how much would you take for the limbs, cams and axles?

Spiker
06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
How about back to the OP.?.
NZGRIP - have you had a chance to take it out and shoot it?
What do YOU think of it??

scepterman30x
06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
What is the deflection on the limbs? And how much would you take for the limbs, cams and axles?

Brother Wise...what is it you need?:D

nzgrip
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
How about back to the OP.?.
NZGRIP - have you had a chance to take it out and shoot it?
What do YOU think of it??

At the moment i'm just mucking around trying to get it dialed in, having a go at paper tuning then i'll try and get the sight i fitted dialed in. I'm not sure i have the right spine shafts either, the more i read the more i discover. The arrows i have are Beman ICS BowHunter 340. i've cut them down from 29" to 26.5" putting them 1" in front of the rest (28" draw).

wisecane
06-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Brother Scepterman,

It is not so much a need, but if somebody had 14" limbs, NOS cams and axles laying around that they don't need....well it never hurts to ask, lol.

scepterman30x
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Brother Scepterman,

It is not so much a need, but if somebody had 14" limbs, NOS cams and axles laying around that they don't need....well it never hurts to ask, lol.

If you are available today after lunch...if you are not to busy give me a ringa ding. I want to talk to you about something.

Spiker
06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
NOS B X's long axles and cables could be had.

wisecane
07-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Shoot me a pm with a price!