PDA

View Full Version : Warthog tuning question

lucaar
06-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I have a 2009' Warthog 29", 70#. My local pro-shop just installed 2010 limbs and kit. When I picked it up they told me in order to get the bow to pull 70# they had to really wrap up the cables. When I got the bow I noticed the cams are wrapped up so tight the post is hitting the cable (over rotated cam). I also noticed by axle to axle was 1/4" short. My BH was spot on. I am going to take a few twists of each cable so they aren't hitting the posts but I want to maintain the 70# draw weight. What can I do to get my draw weight back to 70# after I take a few twists off the cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gibson 787
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
What can I do to get my draw weight back to 70# after I take a few twists off the cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just completed the conversion myself. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's nothing you can do, twisting cables increases draw weight and untwisting does the opposite.

I can say that Cat2 cams perform at their best when they have the cables wrapped up. If you go to www.archerytalk.com and do a search on cat cam tuning you will find a mountain of very useful information

Good luck

lucaar
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I understand the CAT cams like to be wrapped, but the cables are hitting the posts (over rotated). Can I untwist the string to get the draw weight back after I untwist the cables? Shouldn't the 70# limbs max at at least 70# without loading the limbs with the cables?

gibson 787
06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I understand the CAT cams like to be wrapped, but the cables are hitting the posts (over rotated). Can I untwist the string to get the draw weight back after I untwist the cables? Shouldn't the 70# limbs max at at least 70# without loading the limbs with the cables?

You could try taking a few twists out of the string. The ideal position for the cables to be, relative to the posts, is about 1/8" off. If the cables are only just touching the posts, it probably won't reduce your DW much to untwist cables to the 1/8" position.

What is the limb code on your new limbs?

Spiker
06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I would pull it all off and measure the cables/string to be sure they are the correct lengths.
Did the conversion kit come with new one's or is it your old strings on it?
There is a chance that they are not right-on the lengths they should be.
Get them set at the correct lengths then reassemble it and see what your BH and ATA is.
If it is on or just a smidge off I would make adjustments to get the cams rotated so you have an 1/8" between the cables and posts.
Then adjust to get the cams in time with each other.
Now check the poundage. If it is only off by 1 or 2 - I wouldn't worry about it.
If everything is set correctly - you are not going to notice a couple pounds.
Having everything in sync and set up right is way more important and the bow will perform better than worrying about being right on a certain number.
And - do you know what the deflection # was on the old limbs and is it the same on the new one's?

gibson 787
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I would pull it all off and measure the cables/string to be sure they are the correct lengths.
Did the conversion kit come with new one's or is it your old strings on it?
There is a chance that they are not right-on the lengths they should be.
Get them set at the correct lengths then reassemble it and see what your BH and ATA is.
If it is on or just a smidge off I would make adjustments to get the cams rotated so you have an 1/8" between the cables and posts.
Then adjust to get the cams in time with each other.
Now check the poundage. If it is only off by 1 or 2 - I wouldn't worry about it.
If everything is set correctly - you are not going to notice a couple pounds.
Having everything in sync and set up right is way more important and the bow will perform better than worrying about being right on a certain number.
And - do you know what the deflection # was on the old limbs and is it the same on the new one's?

Good info from SPIKER which reminded me that when I did my conversion, I found that my original string and cables were 3/8" too long, hence many twists to get to specs. I think the 2010 Warthog conversion may call for different cable and string sizes.

lucaar
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. I am still using my stock string and cables. string is 57" and cables are 40.5". Does anyone know what the string and cable specs are on the new setup? I will check on the limb code when I get off work. I think it is on the bottom side where the limb connects to the riser?

gibson 787
06-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I am still using my stock string and cables. string is 57" and cables are 40.5". Does anyone know what the string and cable specs are on the new setup? I will check on the limb code when I get off work. I think it is on the bottom side where the limb connects to the riser?

Information states string/cable specs the same for 2009 and 2010. Could be there is some minor change in the 2010 riser, but definitely the string/cable set up, which was spot on before the conversion, is now approx. 3/8" too long.

I've got her shooting well, as good as prior to the conversion, but not happy at the amount of twists in the cables in particular. when I order a new set, I'll alter the lengths.

I'll also contact Martin re the issue as my local dealer is a bit vagu on this particular subject.

Destroyer
06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Could be there is some minor change in the 2010 riser

I'd say yes from the sound of it. 2010 might have a slightly longer riser or different angle. Maybe they're loading up the limbs more, past parallel. If the brace height and ata end up the same, and the poundage is right......:confused:

I'll also contact Martin re the issue as my local dealer is a bit vague on this particular subject.

Really? That's a big surprise :p

lucaar
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
String is 57" and cables are 40.5. The number on the bottom of the limbs says 5L 6/10. Correction on the Axle to Axle.... it is 34.5", BH is 6.5

Spiker
07-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Information states string/cable specs the same for 2009 and 2010. Could be there is some minor change in the 2010 riser, but definitely the string/cable set up, which was spot on before the conversion, is now approx. 3/8" too long.

I've got her shooting well, as good as prior to the conversion, but not happy at the amount of twists in the cables in particular. when I order a new set, I'll alter the lengths.

I'll also contact Martin re the issue as my local dealer is a bit vagu on this particular subject.

Is there the chance that the new style roto cups put the limb at a slightly different angle causing a need for the shorter strings/cables?

gibson 787
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Is there the chance that the new style roto cups put the limb at a slightly different angle causing a need for the shorter strings/cables?

Could very well be, I've emailed Martin, so hopefully we'll get an answer.

Destroyer
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Maybe the 2010 cams are a bit different too.

gibson 787
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Maybe the 2010 cams are a bit different too.

And another possibility!