PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy level question

alex
06-30-2010, 09:16 AM
I've shot my MOAB today checking how my new homemade stabilizer works and from about 10 yards i had 4 hits from 5 shots in a 2cm circle. I think it's a pretty good result considering that i haven't shot this bow since last November, but what do you guys think about it? Should i seek 5 of 5? What are your results from similar distance and do you think a bow like MOAB with a whisker biscuit rest can perform even better?
By the way, the stabilizer works great :D

Montalaar
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
At 10 yards you should be able to hit all arrows in this circle. Even with a WB rest. Just practice some more.

Currently i am practicing at 30 to 40m and have a hard time to get all arrows into the 10cm circle. But with some time my performance might come back and will be as it has been in the past years.

alex
06-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Simon! I shoot mainly my recurve now, but soon will come back to my MOAB. You're lucky you can practise at 30-40m. Our backyard is only about 15 m long and not all the lenght is useable for archery. By the way how many arrows do you shoot from 30-40m at this 10cm circle? I used to shoot 5-6 arrows with the recurve, but after 2-3 broken nocks i reduced them to 2.

Montalaar
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
At this time i shoot 6 arrows as my grouping is not perfect, yet. When it will get better i will switch to 3 arrows or go to 50/60m and continue with 6 arrows. I would prefer using 6 arrows as this leads to a more consistent form and fitness.

My backyard is barely 8m wide. But every saturday i can go to the FITA place owned by my archery club.

alex
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I would prefer using 6 arrows as this leads to a more consistent form and fitness.

Sounds good to me, i'll try 6 arrows this summer (i had only 4 the last year). May be the best fitness is to shoot one arrow - at 50m every 10 shots make a kilometer of walking :D When shooting at longer distances i get tired of walking not of shooting.

gibson 787
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
i had 4 hits from 5 shots in a 2cm circle. I think it's a pretty good result considering that i haven't shot this bow since last November, but what do you guys think

I think that's pretty darn good if you could repeat the exercise 6 times in a row.

I often read about and see pics of peoples results, but never have I read if they can consistantly do it, or if it was just 5 or 6 good shots out of 30. So In reality, I can only judge someones performance on the results he/she produced in competition.

To be really good I believe you have to be consistantlty really good.

SonnyThomas
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
You boys lost me with the metric sizes, but at 10 yards I won't shoot more than one arrow per bull's eye. I won't even shoot more than one arrow at a bull's eye on a NFAA 5 spot target.

Montalaar, I see you have Martin Shadowcat. I had the opportunity to shoot one of late and another on the way. The thing is outstandingly accurate. Got some pics at 30 yards indoors. Lighting is not that good, but enough to see to shoot. To get 30 yards I have to shoot from the other side of the bow shop, through the observation window we took out, and then on to the target wall.

alex
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
i had 4 hits from 5 shots in a 2cm circle. I think it's a pretty good result considering that i haven't shot this bow since last November, but what do you guys think

I think that's pretty darn good if you could repeat the exercise 6 times in a row.

I often read about and see pics of peoples results, but never have I read if they can consistantly do it, or if it was just 5 or 6 good shots out of 30. So In reality, I can only judge someones performance on the results he/she produced in competition.

To be really good I believe you have to be consistantlty really good.

:D I've shot only these 5 shots, because spent 2 hours before that with my recurve (and some more in the morning) - now my fingers hurt and my neck is a little stiff. I can't participate in competitions, because we haven't any here :( I may try 5-6 series of 5 shots tommorow, but my target can't withstand such an attack.

alex
06-30-2010, 02:08 PM
You boys lost me with the metric sizes, but at 10 yards I won't shoot more than one arrow per bull's eye. I won't even shoot more than one arrow at a bull's eye on a NFAA 5 spot target.

I've shot only one arrow. Can't afford new nocks or shafts every day. And in 2cm there's no place for 5 arrows unless you're Robin Hood :)
By the way, that's a good picture of a good shooting.

gibson 787
06-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I've shot only these 5 shots, because spent 2 hours before that with my recurve (and some more in the morning)

Alex, taking the above into consideration, good shooting! Do you shoot your Moab fingers or release? I had my 09 Moab out yesterday replacing string and cable. They are a very good bow.

alex
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks! The MOAB is really a good bow, some people don't like it, but i think it's great for begginers (when i bought it i was shooting compounds only for 3-4 months). I used to shoot it with fingers, but last summer took a release and now prefer to shoot with it. It's much more accurate. Tommorow i'll give the bowshooting a little break, because the last 2 weeks i've shot at least a couple of thousand shots (traditional only) and my fingers and neck need a rest :D

SonnyThomas
06-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I can't participate in competitions, because we haven't any here.

Where do you live? That's the pits, not able to compete. We have 3D leagues indoors at one of the local sports shops and outdoor 3Ds on Sat & Sun -can shoot two different clubs each weekend. We have about 6 clubs within a 50 miles raduis. Paper indoor leagues, Qualifiers and Championships are held during cold weather times. We have the NFAA 5 spot, the Vegas face, and the new ASA indoor paper target. I just got back from Metropolis, Illinois, my home state - The ASA ProAm. I shot for two days down there, but had I shot the Superman Classic (the city's shoot) it would have been 5 straight days of shooting. Then I work (play) at a archery shop and pretty much can shoot all I want.

Destroyer
06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
but what do you guys think about it?

Its good. :) Like Dave has mentioned, its about consistency though. I feel that to be able to say that you group at a particular measurement (say a 2" group or whatever), you need to be repeating this at least 7 times out of 10. Personally I think this should be at least 9 times out of ten to be good.

I shoot a single arrow @ 15 yards at a 3" circle with a dot in the middle. My aim (no pun) is to put every shot in the dot (or close to it) with my worst shot, not out of the 3" circle. Now the 3" @ 15 yards doesn't sound that good but I'm being honest here. And this is my hunting gear, not some cheater-man bow that uses those huge stabilizers, scopes and such. :p

Every time someone states they can do it everytime I just laugh. Archery is a hard f**k of a sport. :D

Montalaar
06-30-2010, 10:28 PM
@SonnyThomas

Alex lives in Bulgaria. You do not know where this is? DO not worry about that. Even i have to look it up sometimes and it is not that far away form germany. Just some other countries of the former USSR in between, lol.

And when using metric sizes.. Just give or take a yard and you have approx the same. 18m are 19.5yds, 40yds are 36.5m, 50yds are 46m and 60yds are 55m.

Indoors i will shoot only one arrow per target. But this is normal as i shoot on the FITA indoor spots. Unfortunately i am getting more and more attracted to field archery. Field archery is very unpopular here and most clubs do net even allow compound bows but wooden bows only. FITA is great for training and can be fun to participate - i just prefer field over it.

alex
07-01-2010, 05:37 AM
@SonnyThomas

Alex lives in Bulgaria. You do not know where this is? DO not worry about that. Even i have to look it up sometimes and it is not that far away form germany. Just some other countries of the former USSR in between, lol.

We are 2000km and 200 years (or more) away (behind) from Germany :D But Simon, you are not right about the former USSR - we were their closest satelite, but never part of them, so are the other countries of the region. I can assure you, my younger western friend, that there's a huge difference ;)

alex
07-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Where do you live? That's the pits, not able to compete. We have 3D leagues indoors at one of the local sports shops and outdoor 3Ds on Sat & Sun -can shoot two different clubs each weekend. We have about 6 clubs within a 50 miles raduis. Paper indoor leagues, Qualifiers and Championships are held during cold weather times. We have the NFAA 5 spot, the Vegas face, and the new ASA indoor paper target. I just got back from Metropolis, Illinois, my home state - The ASA ProAm. I shot for two days down there, but had I shot the Superman Classic (the city's shoot) it would have been 5 straight days of shooting. Then I work (play) at a archery shop and pretty much can shoot all I want.

You're lucky and i feel extremely envy :D Archery isn't popular in Bulgaria at all. There was some hope that people will start dealing with it, but the crisis and the very expensive archery equipment put an end of it, at least for now. People here prefer cheaper hobbies like fishing or airguns (the hunters use only firearms) - with the money for a good bow you can buy 3 good quality air rifles or 30 chinese ones. It's hard to choose archery when an arrow costs as much as a day's wage. There are a few madmen like me who invest in archery - but i don't complain much, because i feel like a VIP client in any shop selling archery equipment, even if i don't buy anything :D ;)

Montalaar
07-01-2010, 06:05 AM
We are 2000km and 200 years (or more) away (behind) from Germany :D But Simon, you are not right about the former USSR - we were their closest satelite, but never part of them, so are the other countries of the region. I can assure you, my younger western friend, that there's a huge difference ;)

Well..

At least poland, hungary and czech republic were part of the 'Warschauer Pakt' (not sure about the english term) and so were they part of the USSR. In this case i think i am right when i say that the USSR was between our countries. :D

I am sorry, i did not want to attack you in any way my friend. ;)

alex
07-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Every time someone states they can do it everytime I just laugh. Archery is a hard f**k of a sport. :D

It sure is! :D Some days i hit the bullseye almost every shot and others (like today :( ) i have no luck.

Montalaar
07-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Let's see how it works for me today. ;)

alex
07-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Well..

At least poland, hungary and czech republic were part of the 'Warschauer Pakt' (not sure about the english term) and so were they part of the USSR. In this case i think i am right when i say that the USSR was between our countries. :D

I am sorry, i did not want to attack you in any way my friend. ;)

Oh, you didn't, Simon. You know, i'm a historian and sometimes i'm a little boring when it comes to historical details. :o
P.S. I'll take the risk and correct you again (for which i apologize) - participating in the Warsaw Pact doesn't make these countries part of the USSR, like the participating of Western Germany or Great Britain in NATO doesn't make them part of the USA. But of course if you use USSR as a synonym of the Communistic empire you're absolutely right :)

Montalaar
07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Yes, i used it as a synonym. ;D

Accuracy today was an absolute fail.
We shot at approx 45 to 50m (~50 yds) ( - i am unsure about the actual distance. My groups were around 20cm (~8") diameter. To be honest: I am happy that i hit the target as i have not that mich time (or bow) to shoot in these days but there will be loads of training needed to get back into shape, lol. :D

alex
07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
The same with me, but from 8-9m (from 12-13 was a little better) - I intended not to shoot today but couldn't resist. Recurve shooting is so cool :) I blame for the bad shots the heat and the clouds of mosquitos!

Destroyer
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes, i used it as a synonym. ;D

Accuracy today was an absolute fail.
We shot at approx 45 to 50m (~50 yds) ( - i am unsure about the actual distance. My groups were around 20cm (~8") diameter. To be honest: I am happy that i hit the target as i have not that mich time (or bow) to shoot in these days but there will be loads of training needed to get back into shape, lol. :D

Wouldn't describe 49 to 55 yards @ 8" as a failure. Whats the normal average group size @ this distance?

Recurve shooting is so cool

Its certainly more simple. String it, put on a nocking point, tune, then lip it and rip it. :)

Montalaar
07-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Normal average group size for me at this distance? Hmm...
I'd say around 4".

I can put all my arrows into the 10 ring on a 70m FITA 122cm face. At least i could before i started to study. -.-

alex
07-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Going to school hasn't brought good fortune to anybody ;)

Montalaar
07-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Hmmm. Not actually what i am thinking. :P

Today morning: 4.5" at 40m, 6 arrows. I had to quit after 30 arrows or so as the temperature rised and i could not stand it anymore.

Destroyer
07-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Have you seen this http://europroarchery.com/

(or download directly here shhhhhh.... http://alternative2tv.com/flashvideo/archery/pas/)

Good stuff! :D

Montalaar
07-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Yepp. I know some of the Top10 archery for germany.

I plan to participate in Müllenborn in some years. Or so.

alex
07-03-2010, 05:48 AM
I've tried to give some shots with my Mongolian bow today, but also gave up - it's not so hot, but the mosquitos are unbearable - they even try to get into my eyes :mad: Now i'm waiting for Argentina:Germany, hope the stoned dwarf with the big mouth and his boys to go home :cool:

Montalaar
07-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Yes. They will go home. 4:0, what a game!!

alex
07-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Yes. They will go home. 4:0, what a game!!

Congratulations, Simon! Now i want two more matches like this one, will be very happy to see how Spain and Holland get 4 goals and go crying under the showers. :p