PDA

View Full Version : Cat & Hyric cam modules

bfisher
07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
This is just for informational purposes. You can use it or not.

In the past Martin had a problem with sharp edges on their modules causing damage to the cable serving and in some severe cases the cables themselves. In late 2009 they made some nice changes to make the module narrower and rounded the outer edge of the mod where the cable might rub.

However, there is still a problem though not a severe one like before. The inner edge of the groove on the side mating to the cam still has a pretty sharp edge. It can easily be remedied by removing the mod and use a fine tooth file and an emery board to remove the sharp edge.

I've noticed n my FireCat and now on my new Rytera, which use the same module. The wear pattern isn't bad but it is apparent so I'm going to do ine just as a precautionary procedure. No sense waiting till it's beyond repair and needs reserved.

Just thought I'd pass this along for anybody having a problem or a potential future problem.

Barry

alex
07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I guess this method can be used on the idler wheel edges too. Is that right, Barry?

bfisher
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I guess this method can be used on the idler wheel edges too. Is that right, Barry?

Most definitely, and anywhere else that has a nasty edge or some burrs. And if you want to restore the black color there are always sharpies or magic markers. This might not be the solution some are looking for, but until companies start paying more attention to quality control we have to take matters into our own hands. And really, it's not rocket science.