PDA

View Full Version : Arrow weight vs pull on 2008 Saber/Trophy Hunter

Timbo
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
My set up is: 2008 Saber/Trophy Hunter; Viper H1000 Sight; 27" Draw (30" Max); 28" Easton St Excel 500 Arrows; 52lbs pull (60 Max); Standard Peep; with a wisker Biscuit. The reason for the 52lb pull is due to a past shoulder injury.

My situation: I am thinking about maxing out the pull to 60 which will require me to change to St Excel 400 arrows according to the Easton charts.

My questions: Would it be worth it to make the change? Are there any risks/rewards for doing so?

bfisher
07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
My set up is: 2008 Saber/Trophy Hunter; Viper H1000 Sight; 27" Draw (30" Max); 28" Easton St Excel 500 Arrows; 52lbs pull (60 Max); Standard Peep; with a wisker Biscuit. The reason for the 52lb pull is due to a past shoulder injury.

My situation: I am thinking about maxing out the pull to 60 which will require me to change to St Excel 400 arrows according to the Easton charts.

My questions: Would it be worth it to make the change? Are there any risks/rewards for doing so?

If it's a hunting rig the main advantage you'd see is better potential for penetration. You might pick up some speed, but minimal. More depends on whether your shoulder will be able to handle the weight.

Just speaking from experience though, you might have room to just shorten the arrows you have by an inch and the spine might work OK even at 60#. So take a couple of the 500's and cut enough off to add new inserts and give them a try. You might be pleasantly surprised at being able to save some money on new arrows. If your broadheads fly OK I wouldn't worry about what the charts recommend as they are only guidelines anyway.

Timbo
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
It will be for hunting and some small amount of target shooting. Were you recommending I cut the arrows off an inch and keep the 52lbs or jump up to 60lbs pull? You have me thinking about the shoulders capacity now.

alex
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd say stay at 52# - your health is more important then some fps. The only problem is that the bow is a little noisier when the DW is lowered, but it's not a big issue.

Timbo
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks. Is is a bit noisy. I plan to order a string stop soon to help in that area.

bfisher
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
It will be for hunting and some small amount of target shooting. Were you recommending I cut the arrows off an inch and keep the 52lbs or jump up to 60lbs pull? You have me thinking about the shoulders capacity now.

Yes, I was recommending that you could take maybe two arrows and cut them off an inch and they might even work at 60#, assuming your shoulders will hold up to it.

I've sot similar specs in the past. I used to shoot 27" and had 27" arrows with a 500 spine that shot very well up to 63#. I was shooting a 75gr tip and feathers. Maybe, just maybe shooting a 100gr tip, which would weaken the spine, and vanes (which would stiffen the spine) will help even each other out. Therefore the spine might be OK. To my way of thinking it's worth a try. If they spine OK you'd probably pick up a decent amount of speed which would help with both the trajectory and the penetration. Best of both worlds.

If they don't work or your shoulders can't handle the extra draw weight you've lost nothing and maybe learned a lot. Oh, and for what it's worth I am only beginning to start shooting around 50#--again. I've had a few health issues the last few years. Believe me, there is no shame in shooting a lowly 52#. It's plenty for any deer if that's what you hunt. And the rubber ones don't jump the string. Besides, arrows are easier to pull from those 3Ds.

Timbo
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to contribute. I don't get much help so good input is much appreciated. Worst case option is to sell my bow to my brother and look into a left handed bow since I am able to do everything else with either hand. It would be easier on the bad shoulder no matter what the poundage.
Thanks again!