PDA

View Full Version : Quiver Question

LMJii
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Purchased an '09 MOAB a few months ago and have become somewhat proficient. Still have not fitted a quiver to it and was wondering what concerns there may be when buying one. I was going to buy a Wildman quiver from the Martin Archery online store but thought there may be better options, if not cheaper. Will all quivers fit my bow? And why does the price of quivers range so much? I always appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

alex
07-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Will you hunt with the bow? If not you don't need a quiver. My MOAB came in a package and has a 4 arrow quiver which works good, but i made a simple one from camo fabric and since i don't use broadheads i won't use the factory one anymore. It adds weight and noise and changes the ballance of the bow.

LMJii
07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I will definitely use it for hunting, almost exclusively. I took a look at the riser and am wondering where I'll mount the quiver. The sight (Extreme) and rest (WB) seem to occupy all the mounting holes.

bfisher
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I will definitely use it for hunting, almost exclusively. I took a look at the riser and am wondering where I'll mount the quiver. The sight (Extreme) and rest (WB) seem to occupy all the mounting holes.

Most one piece detachable quivers mount somewhere on a sight bracket. What sight are you using? I see it's an Extreme. Which one?

As for the Wildman quivers by Martin? The one piece are the same as any others. The two-piece quivers mount directly into the barrel nuts where the limb bolts are threaded into except they mount on the side. I have a Wildman 5 Arrow Direct (3907R) which gives me plenty of room to clip my 3 arrows and give lots of clearance between them. It's a very nice quiver and has standoffs to get it away from the riser some, but not too much. Kind of just right. What I like about it is that the standoffs are slotted to fit the barrel nuts and once tightened down it can't turn or otherwise move. It's a very solid setup.

Reason I chose this one was because of letting me spread my arrows out. The other is that although some quivers hold as many as 8 arrows I have NEVER, in 37 years, had a need for more than four so why add bulk and extra weight to the bow and make it more unbalanced.

I have used other quivers such as the Quikee 3 arrow and the Alpine Soft Lock (3 arrow). Quikee because of it's compactness and the Alpine because of the rubber mount, but the rubber mount is pretty bulky. When I use a one piece I remove it from the bow while in a treestand and just hang it on a hook.

Like anything in this sport there are tons of choices with varying prices. Just take into account that anything you add to a bow has potential to make noise. Quivers are usually a big culprit so this is one area I don't go cheap. Figure it this way. You are shooting a bow that cost between $400 and
$800. You have a good sight and, OK, a so-so rest . Probably decent arrows with $100 worth of broadheads. What's an extra $20 to get a good quiver. Afterall, it'll last a long long time and can always be moved to the next bow.

LMJii
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
That's great insight. I appreciate your reasoning behind the 5-arrow Wildman quiver.

My sight was handed down to me but I believe it is an Extreme RT 900. At its current setting, the windage bracket extends a bit from the sight (to the right of the riser as I draw the bow. The WB is pegged in the middle slot associated with sight placement on the riser.

If I understand correct, the quiver you recommend (for good reasons) would secure at the top and bottom of the riser, where the limbs connect. Would this mean that it would share the barrel nuts that already houses the vertical limb bolts? Is there actually threads to accomodate both the vertical riser bolts and perpendicular bolts used to mount the quiver?

Thanks for the help. I hate to order something without knowing whether it will fit properly, or nessecitate a return.

bfisher
07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
That's great insight. I appreciate your reasoning behind the 5-arrow Wildman quiver.

My sight was handed down to me but I believe it is an Extreme RT 900. At its current setting, the windage bracket extends a bit from the sight (to the right of the riser as I draw the bow. The WB is pegged in the middle slot associated with sight placement on the riser.

If I understand correct, the quiver you recommend (for good reasons) would secure at the top and bottom of the riser, where the limbs connect. Would this mean that it would share the barrel nuts that already houses the vertical limb bolts? Is there actually threads to accomodate both the vertical riser bolts and perpendicular bolts used to mount the quiver?

Thanks for the help. I hate to order something without knowing whether it will fit properly, or nessecitate a return.

Could you post a picture of the isde of the riser where the quiver would mount? Maybe an angled one and one straight from the rear. Just to see how things stick out. I'll tell you, I'm not beyond taking a hacksaw to the rest support if it sticks out too far, but it should be far enough to the rear anyway. I'll take a look at the sight if I can find one on-line and give an opinion later.

You are thinking right about the threads in the barrel nut. YES, they are threaded for the quiver mounting bolts also. And, at least on mine, the bolts are long enough to give a very solid mount and still not hit the limb bolts. Please take into account that hunting season is the only time I have a quiver on the bow. Unlike some people I have never had an issue with changes in point-of-impact when adding a quiver. At least not enough to make a difference. Believe me, when the adrenalin starts rushing pinpoint accuracy is the least thing I worry about.

Talk to ya later. I gotta go hunting for that sight.

bfisher
07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
OK, I found a few, but they kind of hide the right side of it. It does look like it's flat and would accept just about any quiver you want to get. Also, if you decide on the two piece Wildman I don't think there's anything to interfere with the arrows. Just about any sight sticks out that far. Heck, I even have an HHA OL-5000 slider and get by.

Destroyer
07-14-2010, 08:00 PM
How do you hunt? Stalking or stand/blind? If you hunt stationary from a tree stand, etc, then it really doesn't matter what you get. Just remove it when you get there. For stalking, things are a bit different. You don't want to add too much weight and effect how the bow handles but you need to carry enough arrows. For deer I use a Kwikee 3 arrow because its enough, not many shots. I also use it for bunnies but have to carry extra arrows on my pack.

Two piece quivers are usually more solid and hold the arrows closer to the bow, less noise, less torque. There isn't a huge difference in weight between 4 arrow & 8 arrow two piece quivers, a small amount of plastic/rubber. The weight is in the arrows you put in it. You can always just put 4 or 6 arrows in a 8 arrow quiver. ;)

this is one area I don't go cheap.

Agree. Kwikee kwiver's are good quality for price. The Martins should be ok too. I think that some of the quivers are overpriced though.

One thing to remember, the biggest problem with a bow mounted quiver is you change the weight of your setup as you remove arrows. The best thing is its handy and better to carry.

LMJii
07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Great. I appreciate the input from everyone, Alex, Destroyer, and bfisher. Think I'll give the 5 arrow - two piece a try. Like everything, I'll practice and get used to the quiver on board while shooting. Thanks again for the advice.

Destroyer
07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Think I'll give the 5 arrow - two piece a try

Good stuff. Let us know what you think of it, a little review would be nice. ;)

Btw, I don't practice with my quiver on.