PDA

View Full Version : Broken Strand

Unregistered
07-15-2010, 02:18 PM
This is two questions, if you can help me out I would apprecaite it.
1. I think I broke a strand in my string. I was aligning a new release loop that had about 10 shots on it. At releasing #10, I hear a pop noise and my arrow hit 6" low @ 20yrds. On the serving I can see the white strip in the serving material, on the cable just before it enters the cam/module. When I feel the serving here and it feels lumpy. Do you think its the serving or the strand? Is it worth reserving the cable? The shot before this one and peep rolled a 1/4 turn unexpectedly. ATA is now 1/16 over. The string and cable have very few shots on it, my estimate under 200. The thing that maybe an issue is the cable guide adjustment I have it set to clear the cable & my Blazes by appox 1/8". The angle the cable enters the cam/module looks to be out of alignment slightly. I have a bent cable guide and I have it bending up which I think is correct, to slacken the misalignment here. The bow is a 2007 Martin Bengal, m-pro cams & Dakota string. Which leads the question #2

2. What is the correct clearance vanes to cable? Whats too far? whats too close?

Any ideas?

bfisher
07-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Stop shooting till you check it out. The last time I had a peep rotate like that unexpectedly the string broke 3 shots later. Needless to say the end result was ugly. It's possible you have one or more strands broken under the serving. I'd recommend stripping the serving and take a look see. If it's not broken strands then maybe reserve the string and give it a go.

Yes, maybe you have only a few hundred shots through it, but I've seen bows with broken string right out of the box. String material is a manmade fabric so anything can happen any time. Don't leave anything to chance.

Destroyer
07-15-2010, 10:43 PM
The last time I had a peep rotate like that unexpectedly the string broke 3 shots later. Needless to say the end result was ugly.

Sure is! Especially if the string breaks at full draw. I'd replace the string, the peep rotating and the ata getting longer sure sounds like a broken strand to me. Check it out like Barry said but personally I would replace it to be sure.

String material is a manmade fabric so anything can happen any time.

Low % of failures, but it still happens unfortunately. Yep at anytime, new or old.

bfisher
07-16-2010, 11:19 AM
This wasn't the first time I've had a string go. Had one other years ago when they were Dacron. Anyway, normally it won't break at full draw because this is the point where the string has the least stress on it. It'll snap while drawing the bow near the bow's peak weight or, as usual, it'll snap when the bow is shot and it has to come to that sudden halt.

It won't seem like a dry fire though. The arrow will get launched, but when it breaks all hell breaks loose with the bow. Oh, and don't be surprised to lose the peep. If it's a more modern Martin with Roto cups don't be surprised if they fly off the riser either. As I said, it gets ugly.

With the peep rotating so much on each shot I'd suspect a lot more than one or two broken strands. I'd think it's real close to coming unglued altogether.

Destroyer
07-16-2010, 07:06 PM
As I said, it gets ugly.

Didn't check the limb tip grooves of my recurve and with a sharp egde.........

Not much damage and the arrow went nowhere but my undies, very ugly! :D

bfisher
07-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Didn't check the limb tip grooves of my recurve and with a sharp egde.........

Not much damage and the arrow went nowhere but my undies, very ugly! :D

Ah, there's a difference here. The recurve would be at it's peak weight at full draw whereas the compound would be at it's lowest. You buy that?

Destroyer
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Sounds about right Barry, makes good sense. Both at peak weight. Never had a compound go on me. Would expect it to happen when released, when the string is coming to a full stop. Breaking at peak weight drawing the bow, would expect to get a smack in the head as well. Had a loop go on me once, geeze I was lucky, the only one hurt was me.

alex
07-17-2010, 07:19 AM
I had a broken string while drawing the last summer - i'm not sure, but think it was at full draw. Everything happened so fast that i can't say exactly the moment the string broke. Tell you the truth it's not pleasant, but not because of a hurt, but because of the surprise and disappointment. I wasn't even touched by the string or the limbs - just lost a peep and paid about 10-15$ for a new string. May be the fact that the bow is an older style with round cams is the reason that i wasn't hurt, i guess the new aggresive cams are more dangerous.

Destroyer
07-17-2010, 10:35 PM
i guess the new aggresive cams are more dangerous.

They're certainly under more stress. A lot more.

bronko22000
07-18-2010, 03:27 PM
I was tuning my Firecat and noticed a busted strand too. I continued and about 2 shots later it sounded like my bow exploded. peep went flying sting was busted except for about 5 strands.
I immediately backed off the limbs and took it to the shop. Turned out the lower limb cracked. Fortunately I only had the bow less than a month and Martin is replacing everything except the riser.
Concluion - Don't shoot your bow if any strands on the bow are broken.