PDA

View Full Version : How fast should my bow be??????

baerman
07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Hey Guys,
I just had my new Warthog set up at the ProShop, and I'm a bit dismayed at the actual speed that it's getting. The bow is set at 29" draw length, a 391 grain total arrow weight and 60lbs. pull..... and I'm only getting 261 fps. Does this sound right? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
________
extreme vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.info)

polaris754
07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
I really dont know what your bows stats r , but i can tell u if its accurate I wouldnt worry about it , i dont think any bow manufactures specs deliver the goods as they state they do :D

alex
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
The bow must be much faster i think - i guess somewhere around 290. May be you must tune the cams.

sapper1
07-16-2010, 04:19 PM
What's the IBO rating for this bow?

Destroyer
07-16-2010, 06:44 PM
350 fps @ 70lb 30" 350 grain. I think some ppl here get up to 330fps, as much as you can expect. Most bows don't reach the stated IBO speed.

What draw weight? And @ 29" you will loose speed any way, about 10 fps. I would expect a higher fps than 261 though. :confused:

Dave would be the one to answer this.

baerman
07-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks Destroyer,
Could you let me know who "Dave" is.....maybe I could contact him if he's a Martin employee.
Again, thanks to all who responded.....it's much appreciated!
________
Honda C77 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_C77)

Brem
07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Baerman,
At 391gr arrow, 29" DL, 60 lb DW, peep, D loop, and an IBO rating of 350 you "should" be getting around 300 fps. My first thought is that the bow is out of spec in ATA and BH with cams out of tune. ATA should be 35" and BH 6 1/4" with tiller even. As to tuning there are some very helpful posts on AT for this for the CAT Cam.

Spiker
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
I think also something is not right. Should be about 290-295.

gibson 787
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks Destroyer,
Could you let me know who "Dave" is.....maybe I could contact him if he's a Martin employee.
Again, thanks to all who responded.....it's much appreciated!

I'm Dave but have been away for a while. Your speed is a bit low. First off, have you tried another chrono, often this is the problem. Next, it's a good idea to get as much info about your bow as possible with the goal of learning how to tune it yourself. A simple google of your bow including the words cam tuning and specs should get you some results. Also www.archerytalk.com will get you excellent info and I reccommend you become a member of AT if you're serious about archery. Right now I'm trying to log on to the site to get you a link, but occasionally there are problems with their server and this is one of those times, booger it! Anyway you'll have to try. When you get there, join and do a search of 'cat cam tuning'.

Good luck

cridertj
07-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I am sorry to say that you will probably not get the results you are looking for out of a 350 Ibo bow . my warthog was about 290 with 29.5 draw when i got it with a 385 arrow with 70lbs draw. I thought that was a little slow and the pro shop did to but could not get any more out of it so I sent it to martin and they got it up to 310 max with limbs bottomed out and added 3 knocks top and bottom this was with 2010 limbs and cams they put on witch was the newest they had.I tried all the stuff they suggested on AT and still no luck.I am not trying to knock to bow because i love it and think it is plenty fast for anything i need but would of liked to see it be a little faster . your 260 is slow so I would suggest that you call martin and maybe for a little shipping they might be able to help you. It took about 3 weeks from shipping to receiving to get mine back but it was a big help.Hope you can get your speed were you want it please let me know if you have any luck.

Brem
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I was able to milk a few more fps out of my alien X by setting the draw mod long one setting and the draw stop on actual DL to reduce the let off.

baerman
07-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Good Morning Brem, Cridertj, Gibson787, Spiker, Destroyer (and everyone else),
Thanks for all of your input. I've done the best that I can to follow the pictures on AT and will be trying more of your input. So far, though, it's pretty much been in vain. I'll try adding more nock-sets to the bottom and top of the string and see if that helps. Sure would like to get it up to at least 290.....maybe that's just a dream, though. I'll let you know. Sure shouldn't be this hard to get a bow to perform up to it's specs. I do, finally, have the ATA and brace height near what the catalog stipulates, and will try a new chrono to see how it's going and will let you all know how it turns out.
Again, thanks for all of your help! (It's a shame that tuning info is not included in the owners manual.....)
Take care, brothers!
________
marijuana trichomes (http://trichomes.org)

gibson 787
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll try adding more nock-sets to the bottom and top of the string

Hi baerman, be careful when adding the nock sets, as they can actually reduce speed if not placed precisely in the right position and the only way of determining that is by trial and error using a chrony. Very tedious exercise.

Destroyer
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
with tiller even

Why even tiller?

Very tedious exercise.

And only good for a few fps. If only you could get 30fps. ;)

Btw, if you figure this out Brem please let us know.