PDA

View Full Version : Firecat Limb Problem

jcason
07-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Well it finally happened to me too. Was shooting a 50 yard target last night when I heard the pop. Top limb split right in the fork.

Since Martin is still having problems with this bow, how liberal are they on the warranty? I really don't think I want this animal anymore. I've had it 114 days and its been in the shop 3 times. Other than fix or completely replace it what else will they do for me?

Disgusted.

bfisher
07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
What year is it. If it's a 2009 they might sned all the parts to upgrade it to 2010. That's what they did with my 2008 and quite a few others. The 2010 limbs are a 4 layer laminate instead of the older 3 layer. Just how good they might be is yet to be discovered.

They upgrade kit has string, axles, cams, modules, and new Roto cups (narrower) to match the 2010 limbs, which also would be needed. It's a warranty thing so should be covered.

Worst case scenerio is that you'd get replacement limbs just like you have. Again, there should be no cost other than maybe labor by the dealer that installes them.

rongcp
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I had an 09 firecat which cracked the first set of limbs 3 days after I got it. After cracking 3 more sets of limbs they accomidated me by sending me an Alien X. Really liked the firecat but not the headache. I'm really optimistic about the Alien X and like it alot. I will say Martin's customer service is out of this world. Just call Joel he is easy to work with.

Bubba101st
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
All I got told was take it to the dealer and they will send out the parts. I blew the upper the first time and the lower this time. Right after I had the first one fixed, The mounting screws hole in the mod stripped out the day before elk season started (shile I was already in camp). I got it to finish the saeson by shooting only at animals and not targets. Joel sent me the mods as soon as I got home and that took care of the issue. I guess I will keep blowing up limbs until they fix the problem or completely replace my bow. I asked about Martin trading the firecat for a gold series and was told to talk to the dealer about trading the bow and that the factory would not do it. I guess the fact that all I have ever owned is Martin bows doesnt really matter. I will tell you that I am going to buy a different brand for a back up durring the season, I hope I wont need it but am not holding my breath.

Montalaar
07-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Read your thread on AT. I am really sorry for your problems. Martin has to work on their quality management a bit.

Destroyer
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Martin has to work on their quality management a bit.

Just a bit. ;)

jcason
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Posted yesterday about my firecat. It is a 2010 so I was surprised when it broke b/c from what I hear here there's not as many problems with the 10. Talked to Joel and of course they will fix it. I was hoping to upgrade as well since I only had it 114 days. No dice. Hopefully I have no more problems. But it'll only take one more to end my hopes.

rongcp
07-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Posted yesterday about my firecat. It is a 2010 so I was surprised when it broke b/c from what I hear here there's not as many problems with the 10. Talked to Joel and of course they will fix it. I was hoping to upgrade as well since I only had it 114 days. No dice. Hopefully I have no more problems. But it'll only take one more to end my hopes.Well like I stated I started of with the 09 Firecat Pro X. After two sets of limbs I sent the bow back and they put 2010 roto cups, cams, and limbs on and they broke. Then I sent it back again and they sent me a brand new 2010 TR2 and the limbs broke. After that I was really fed up. I gave Martin every opportunity to get it corrected but after fourth time I guess they felt my pain and accomidated me with the Alien X. Its like I told Joel the fourth time I set the limbs at 67lbs. and was shooting a 460grain arrow so its not anything I'm doing. Like you I was at full draw when I heard the crack. Thats not something you want to hear at full draw. But I have no complaints about their customer service they always took care of me and because of this I will continue to shoot Martin/Rytera bows.

jcason
07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Do you like the Alien rongcp? I'm startin to wish I bot it instead. Have you had any problems with it?

rongcp
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Do you like the Alien rongcp? I'm startin to wish I bot it instead. Have you had any problems with it?Only had it for two weeks but it shoots good. Unlike the firecat I really did'nt have to do anything to time the cams in and it shoots really tight groups out to 40yards. I believe its as fast as the firecat was. I probably will tinker with it as soon as the H&M strings I ordered arrive. I'm expecting them anyday. To be honest I would of loved to been able to keep the firecat I like the bow and everyone doesn't have one, it was a good shooter. I wish they could of gotten the limb issue resolved. I hope they will take care of you as well as they took care of me, good luck.

jcason
07-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks. I hope so too. It was shooting pretty tight groups at 40 and 50 yds. I have a trophy taker extreme fc rest and extreme 1100 4 pin sight. I hope I don't have any more problems after I get it back.

jcason
07-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Well, Kudos to Martin and my dealer, Jim Turkey Martin for getting my bow repaired in less than a week. Broke a limb on Monday, ordered limbs Tuesday, dropped it off Friday and picked it up on Saturday!! Gotta love good service!

Only thing is I shot it thru the chrono when I got it home and I lost 15 fps. I measured the ATA and it is 33. I know this is 3/4 inch too long. All Turkey did was take the cams out with strings intact, replace the limbs and put them back in. I saw in another post here or on AT about how to reduce the ATA. Is this something that needs a press or can this be done without it? Is it easy or should I take it back again. It's a 45 mile one way trip!

Destroyer
07-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Is the brace height, draw weight and draw length is ok? If it is then I wouldn't worry too much. 15 fps isn't much and if your shooting it well it might pay to leave things be. What fps are you getting?

If you have to get the speed back you don't need a bow press to do it. Its fairly easy but you can have problems. If your not confident enough then taking the bow back would be a good thing. ;)