PDA

View Full Version : Two limbs in two days

gibson 787
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
This actually happened quite a few days ago, but circumstances took me interstate, so now I'm back to address the situation.

First up it was my 09 Warthog (top limb split in the fork) that some may recall me doing a 2010 conversion a month or so ago. A day later, it was a split limb fork in my Moab, but I'll talk about that later. Extremely disappointed as you can imagine.

Re the Warthog, there will be no problem with replacement limbs, which will be sent by local Australian Martin dealer, but certainly won't feel too confident that the same thing won't happen again.

These new 2010 1.5" limbs were supposed to be the answer to this all too common split in the fork problem, however I think there is still a problem. The area on the limb at the fork, which extends down to where the axels slot through, is the thickest part of the limb and should add extra strength to prevent twist which causes the splitting. I think it is not thick enough.

When comparing the new Martin 2010 limbs to the limbs on my Rytera Alien, there is almost an 1/8" difference, that is the Rytera limbs are much thicker in the area at the limb fork. It's a mystery to me why Martin hasn't designed these new 1.5" limbs similar to Rytera limbs. If my replacement limbs fail, I will at my own expense, go direct to Dave Barnsdale and order a custom set for the Hog.

The story re my Moab will be forthcoming as I have emailed Martin regarding this and to be fair to all parties, will say nothing until I get a reply.

Destroyer
07-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Talk about bad luck with the hog. And now the Moab? SHEEESH!!!

I think it is not thick enough.

Martin needs to go to QUAD limbs or just put Barnsdale's on all the bows. Quad's would remove the fork splitting altogether, nothing there to split!

The story re my Moab will be forthcoming

Looking forward to it.

Btw, welcome back mate! :D

gibson 787
07-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, thanks mate. Not sure if the limbs were Barnsdales or not. The date was Nov 2009, but the code wasn't Barnsdales so likely Martins.

I agree about QUAD or Barnsdales, but it's all a cost factor for Martin, as their niche is low cost bows. Trouble is it's becoming low cost at any cost!

Just can't understand why they wouldn't add another 1/8" to the thickened section similar to Rytera limbs, cost would be minimal and I've not yet heard of one Rytera limb failure!

The plus side to all this I guess, is you end up becoming an expert bow technician. I could now assemble a bow blindfolded after a case of VB!!
Well almost...

Destroyer
07-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Just can't understand why they wouldn't add another 1/8" to the thickened section similar to Rytera limbs, cost would be minimal and I've not yet heard of one Rytera limb failure!

Maybe they don't see it as a problem. If the limb fails, just send out a new pair. I wonder just how many % limbs have actually failed.

I could now assemble a bow blindfolded after a case of VB!!
Well almost...

LOL! :D

gibson 787
07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Maybe they don't see it as a problem. If the limb fails, just send out a new pair. I wonder just how many % limbs have actually failed.

Don't know, but stats on AT indicate that members that own Martin bows are significantly small. Problem is, the numbers of complaints about Martin limb failures on AT are large.

Incidently, my email to Martin re Moab limb failure has been ignored. That takes the total ignored emails to five. It kind of leaves you with an empty feeling, particularly when you've stood behind the company when they're being attacked left right and centre. You just feel like you're beimg kicked in the guts.

Destroyer
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, you have defended them, even against me once lol! Are you going to buy new limbs for the Moab?

Btw, has anyone here got replies to their emails from Martin?

gibson 787
07-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Are you going to buy new limbs for the Moab?

Well I shouldn't bloodywell have to, but it's leaning that way!