PDA

View Full Version : FireCat Limb Problem

jcason
07-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I posted earlier kudos to Martin Archery and my dealer Jim Turkey Martin for getting the parts out and repairing my Firecat in less than a week!

Shooting the bow yesterday thru the chrono, it lost 15 fps. Was shooting a 405 grain Blackhawk Vapor 280 fps before the repair, 265 after. Checked the ATA and it was 33 in instead of 32 1/4. I got info from AT on how to reduce the ATA. I twisted both cables and the string an equal number of times and have reduced the ATA to 32 1/2. This increased my fps back to 273.

Can I keep twisting cables and strings to get it where it should be? Seems like a lot of twisting. Will there be any negative effects on the string itself? My peep, loop and rest string are all staying in the same spot because I'm twisting both ends of strings / cables the same amount. How can I be sure I'm not putting too much pressure on the limbs - by the ATA measurement or should I measure draw weight also?

Any help appreciated.

Thx.

Destroyer
07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Measure the DW and the brace height. Brace height is very important to speed. Watch you DL too. Don't go under the recommended ATA and your limb should be ok.

Once you get things where you want them, check your nocking point, peep. etc. I would doubt that they will be all right but you might get lucky.

jcason
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks Destroyer. How much can I twist my string / cables? They're getting pretty twisted now. At first, the twists looked like a candy cane. Now their starting to look like screw threads and I still need to shorten another 1/4 inch. Brace heighth is right at 7 inches and I havent measured draw weight yet.

rongcp
07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Go to ArcheryTalk.Com and click onto general archery forum once there on your far right side you will see search click search and type in cat cams and hit search. The third or fourth thread will say Martin Cat Cam-Optimum Settings. If you click on this thread it will explain to you how to twist the cables to get the best performance from the cat cams.

jcason
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I looked there from home yesterday but was having trouble viewing the pictures. I can't view it here at work where I have better connection because the site is blocked. Funny how i can see Martin Archery fine, but not Archery Talk! I don't dare ask or I might lose this site as well!! Gotta love IT.

I'm mostly concerned about the strings and how many twists are in them. Seems to me something else must be wrong if it takes that many twists to shorten it up. Seems to shoot fine. Just not fast as it should be.

jcason
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
In reponse to Destroyers post in other thread, I have a perfectly good 2003 Martin Rage Magnum that I am getting a consistent 265 fps. It is rated 301. I figure that's pretty good for a 26 1/2 in DL. My goal in purchasing the Firecat was to get close to 300 fps. And in fact I was getting 295 with a 355 grain Carbon Express 250 before the limbs were replaced. Now I'm getting 280 before I made adjustments, 287 after. I know it's psycho, but that's the whole reason I made the purchase to start with. And the bow should do that if adjusted properly based on my calculations.

FireHawk Owner
07-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Go to the following thread on Archerytalk: www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601

Destroyer
07-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks Destroyer. How much can I twist my string / cables?

Usually its recommended that you don't shorten a string by more than 1/2" by twisting. I've had up to 60 twists before but I like to keep them under 40 max if possible. If you keep putting more and more twists, each twist will shorten it at a greater rate making tuning harder. And with so many twists, you could go to a shorter string and see an improvement in speed due to less weight. Does it hurt things? I don't think so.

I still need to shorten another 1/4 inch. Brace heighth is right at 7 inches and I havent measured draw weight yet.

Measure the DW. Brace height is fine.

jcason
07-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Well, I think I finally got it right again. I put in a couple more twists, fine tuned the cams, and increased the draw length by 1/2 inch. The ATA is 32 3/8, the brace height is 7, and the draw weight is dead on 70.

Shot the 355 grain CE 350's at 295 consistently. Shot the 405 gn Blackhawk Vapors at 277 - 280.

I guess I could put a couple more twists in and reduce the DL back to where it was and get the same thing but I'm tired of taking it down and putting it back together. I'm going with it. Here's to hopin I don't have any more problems.

Thanks for all the help from you guys thru this. Don' t know what I'd do without Martin's service and this forum:D

Destroyer
07-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm tired of taking it down and putting it back together.

LOL! That's when you know its time to give up. :D

Hopefully all you have to concentrate on is shooting the bow from now on.