PDA

View Full Version : Need a little moral support from Martin Family

Timbo
07-29-2010, 07:35 AM
My wife bought my bow for me at a big sporting goods shop I am unable to get quality maintenance there do to each young guy changing what the last guy did. I have gone to three bow shops in the area (Two were Martin shops)and none want to help me once I tell them I have trouble with an existing bow and not purchase a new one. I went to the same shop twice and both times the guy turned and walked away after I asked for service on mine. As a recap on the bow - 2008 Saber (Trophy Hunter), 52lb pull, 27" Draw,Viper H1000 sight, W/B, Easton St Excel 500 28" arrow.
Problems - Peep is off. I have a vibration and a "twang" noise. I think my draw is too long, maybe arrows too. I keep getting told it is a starter bow and I need to step up to quality one (or brand) in a couple of years.

Is this just a starter bow or is it one for an adult to call his own for years?
Is it always this difficult to get them serviced?
All this makes me think of just giving it up.

Help Martin Family, please!!!

Spiker
07-29-2010, 09:00 AM
My wife bought my bow for me at a big sporting goods shop I am unable to get quality maintenance there do to each young guy changing what the last guy did. I have gone to three bow shops in the area (Two were Martin shops)and none want to help me once I tell them I have trouble with an existing bow and not purchase a new one. I went to the same shop twice and both times the guy turned and walked away after I asked for service on mine. As a recap on the bow - 2008 Saber (Trophy Hunter), 52lb pull, 27" Draw,Viper H1000 sight, W/B, Easton St Excel 500 28" arrow.
Problems - Peep is off. I have a vibration and a "twang" noise. I think my draw is too long, maybe arrows too. I keep getting told it is a starter bow and I need to step up to quality one (or brand) in a couple of years.

Is this just a starter bow or is it one for an adult to call his own for years?
Is it always this difficult to get them serviced?
All this makes me think of just giving it up.

Help Martin Family, please!!!

Doesnt sound like you have too many problems that you cant fix yourself.
If you dont have the manual for the bow you can download it off Martins site.
The draw length can be adjusted by rotating the module on the cam.
Just take the two screws out and move it to the position you need and screw it back on.
To adjust the peep just back the limb bolts out one at a time an equal # of turns untill you get a bit of slack in the string then untie the peep and move it, turn the bolts back in and then retie the peep in place. If you dont have serving thread you can use a strand out of an old string or even dental floss... If it is just rotated wrong then when you have slack in the string take it off one end and twist it a half turn to get the peep lined up.
Once you get your draw length where you want it you can cut your arrows or take them and have them cut to the length ya need.
Everyone is a beginner to begin with. If the shop wont help you learn and get started and just wants to sell you a bow - I wouldnt go back there again.

Timbo
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Is it safe to back out the screws for the cam and the limbs? Being a beginner, I am very apprehensive. Don't want be be a statistic.

Spiker
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
look inside the barrel nuts (that the limb bolts screw into) you can back the limb bolts out just untill you see daylight thru them (about 10-12 turns)
The string/cable will come slack before ya get there.

Timbo
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I can give it a try. I just keep getting a visual of a hole in my wall from a projectile upon returning home from the local ER.
Is the Saber considered more of a starter bow? My brother wants to buy one to get started, and if it is, I can sell it to him and get a different Martin.

baerman
07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey Timbo,
I believe that the Saber was designed to offer some of the features of Martin's other bows in package that requires less investment. They've used a magnesium riser instead of machined aluminium, but the magnesium shoud stand up just fine. I've handled quite a few of them, and of course they feel great in the hand. If you adjust the draw length for yourself and the fit is good, just tune it and shoot it.
Good luck to you!

Destroyer
07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Firstly, the Sabre is NOT a starter bow. It just happens to be the lower priced bow, some call it an entry level bow due to that fact its cheaper and that is good for beginners as some find they don't like archery and therefore have not spent big. The Sabre is capable of doing anything that the dearer bows are capable of. YES its an adult bow. Anyone that states otherwise is a moron.

I have gone to three bow shops in the area (Two were Martin shops)and none want to help me once I tell them I have trouble with an existing bow and not purchase a new one. I went to the same shop twice and both times the guy turned and walked away after I asked for service on mine.

That's because some shops employ a**holes or give instructions to staff to be a**holes. More money for them if they encourage you to buy a new bow. They don't realize that by not helping you, money is just walking out the door.

I have a vibration and a "twang" noise.

First check every bolt to make sure there done up tight, but not too tight though. Then check the axle e-clips, they can make a bit of noise if loose. A small drop of glue on the e-clip axle can help. Have you got catwiskers on? What rest?

Coop
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I can give it a try. I just keep getting a visual of a hole in my wall from a projectile upon returning home from the local ER.
Is the Saber considered more of a starter bow? My brother wants to buy one to get started, and if it is, I can sell it to him and get a different Martin.

Before you start breaking the bow down... make sure you take pics of the cams(both sides) & bow, so you have a visual in case you forget what goes where...

Coop
PS Don't forget to buy some sheet rock plaster for the hole in the wall(LOL, just kidding).

SonnyThomas
07-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Firstly, the Sabre is NOT a starter bow. It just happens to be the lower priced bow, some call it an entry level bow due to that fact its cheaper and that is good for beginners as some find they don't like archery and therefore have not spent big. The Sabre is capable of doing anything that the dearer bows are capable of. YES its an adult bow. Anyone that states otherwise is a moron.

Yes, the Sabre is one of the better economy adult bows on the market. Quality and shootability is there to be had.

Timbo
07-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Awesome! Man it's nice to have people who are willing to help others. I will see what I can do.
Thanks again everybody!!!

polaris754
07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
hey timbo its all in the tune , i have a 08 saber and i cant see at this point what all the hype is about buying a better bow , im sure you get what u pay for , and i m sure more expensive bows shoot better , but i can tell u this i daily shoot beer caps at 20 yds , and things could not be better ,martins are great bows :D

Timbo
08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Well polaris754, you bring to the table another vote to keep the Saber. It sure looks good, feels good and should feel better once I work on it a bit more. I am considered a beginner am can shoot 4 out of 5 shots at 20 yards in a 3" circle. I guess I should stop complaining and get the bow to where I can enjoy it more. And then - STOP listening to my neighbor! :D

Destroyer
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I guess I should stop complaining and get the bow to where I can enjoy it more. And then - STOP listening to my neighbor!

Yes you should. ;)

STOP listening to my neighbor!

What is your neighbor saying?

Timbo
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry, was away for the weekend. Destroyer, as for what my neighbor said (and says), he says I will want to get rid of the Saber and get a real, better bow once I really get into this more. I have only a beginner bow that will suffice for now and only a bow that cost as much as his or near that will be considered a hunting bow for someone who knows what they are doing. He's not much for uplifting one when needed. When I first got it he said it made too much noise I and I couldn't hunt with it.

dragonsfire311
08-08-2010, 06:04 PM
if you enjoy shooting the bow and it works for you, than it doesn't matter what it cost. Lots of hunters still use older bows to hunt with and they kill deer, hogs, elk, etc just as well as a newer more expensive bow. My martin bow is 7 years old and other than its a little slower than new ones it will take animals just as well as a new model with the proper set up.

Destroyer
08-08-2010, 09:15 PM
He's not much for uplifting one when needed. When I first got it he said it made too much noise I and I couldn't hunt with it.

No he is not. Too much noise? Obviously he never hunted with some of the early 90's bows lol! It takes all types I guess. :rolleyes:

it will take animals just as well as a new model

Of course it will. Besides, its the hunter that actually does the shooting, not the bow! ;)

Sagittarius
08-09-2010, 03:55 AM
What does your neighbor shoot that is so superior?? (expensive) compared to the Saber?? I had a guy that worked for me for a few weeks talking up his 360 fps PSE Omen (nice bow) but he couldn't hit the broadside of the target with it .... His veiw on it was that the arrow would get there so much faster the deer couldn't jump the string. I kept telling him that doesn't do you any good if you can't shoot straight anyway??? Stick with the Saber and out shoot the guy!!!!

guntercb
08-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Sorry, was away for the weekend. Destroyer, as for what my neighbor said (and says), he says I will want to get rid of the Saber and get a real, better bow once I really get into this more. I have only a beginner bow that will suffice for now and only a bow that cost as much as his or near that will be considered a hunting bow for someone who knows what they are doing. He's not much for uplifting one when needed. When I first got it he said it made too much noise I and I couldn't hunt with it.

Don't let a jerk ruin your enjoyment.

I would learn to do work on you bow yourself. I am very detail orientated and I find that none of the shops work on my bow like I would and one of the local shops are not capable at all. :eek: One of the shops around me are very capable, but they just are not as detailed with my bow as it were their own so I have learned I must work on it myself. Get some books and surf the web, but remember everyone has a different opinions so figure out what you are comfortable with!

Cheers.

PS - I hope you kill more animals than your neighbor! ;)

Timbo
08-09-2010, 05:28 AM
He shoots a Matthews and he can't even tell me which one. He has to have 70lb pull cause that is the max and the best. He's the same way on rifles too.
I did take the bow back to Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and had them crank it up to 55lbs and saw how they did it. It is actually very simple. I too am very detailed (anally picky the wife says) and I believe I could tune this thing better once I do see a little more. I am more of a visual learner but still can read and apply.
Thanks for all the input, really. Truth - my dad left the family when I was 3 years old and I didn't have the opportunity to hunt as a child. Without the help from those who will take the time it is difficult to learn. I truly do appreciate all who have taken time to help me.
Have an awesome day! :)

Montalaar
08-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Something i can recommend:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcheryTalkVideo#p/u/12/htP9bOaGpOY

There are more videos like that but i could not find them. Shawn makes a really good job in my eyes.

Sagittarius
08-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey Timbo you picked the right forum for help, these guys are great!! If they can't help they'll find a link to do the trick....
GOOD LUCK ! and it doesn't surprise me that its a Matthews, some people think if you spend more money on a bow-gun it'll make you a better shot??? It still all boils down to the person behind it!!!!!!!!!!

Montalaar
08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
A Mathews..

OMG!

What will happen if he buys a Hoyt? Image he will buy a hoyt Carbonmatrix. For 1600$ he must be one of the best archers out in the world.

Sorry, i could not resist. What a stupid opinion. In my local archery club is a woman (she taught me archery 10 years ago) using an old PSE. I think it is the predecessor of the NOVA and she always wins the tournaments she participates.

Timbo
08-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Funny, isn't it? Montalaar, thanks for the link!