PDA

View Full Version : dry fire

bluetick
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
In around thirty years of shooting, this is the first time I ever dry fired a bow.
I'm not sure how it happened, but I neglected to place an arrow in the bow. I aimed, and fired. How bad is it to dry fire a bow just once? Should I take it in to where I bought it and have them check it out? I'm actually pretty upset I did this.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Your bow DEFINITELY has to be thoroughly inspected before it is shot again.
Make sure you inspect the limbs thoroughly, and use a magnifying glass if you have to. If you do not see anything suspicious, make sure there isn't any weird noises when you start shooting again.

My bow was accidentally dry-fired as well, but I haven't had any problems, and I have shot many times since then. I hope this helps.

bluetick
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Actually, I shot it a few more times to see if there was anything unusual in the way of sounds or vibrations. I'll have it checked before I shoot it again, though.

Destroyer
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
If it will make you feel better, more confident then take it back to be inspected. Usually you know instantly whether or not its still ok to shoot. A simple check over the limbs for cracks/split by eye, check for broken strands/damage, especially on the end loops. Draw the bow and look for true running cams/axles and check the cable slide too. If you have shot it and everything is ok, then it probably is.

What can happen with a dry fire? A broken or split limb, broken string/cables, destroyed wheels, bent axles, etc. Usually you will know straight off. ;)

Last time it happen to me I was getting my brother to video my form. He said he was ready so I drew the bow back then he said hang on, somethings not right, so I let down and didn't check my arrow. Drew back again, released, BANG!!! The cable slide went flying and had to change my shorts. Bow was perfectly ok except for the cable slide, a quick look over, put another slide on and kept on shooting.

bluetick
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I took the Bow to a local shop with technician that I trust. He's made arrows for my Hoyt recurve, attached sights, etc. I left it with him so he could take the bow apart and give it a thorough check.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I took the Bow to a local shop with technician that I trust. He's made arrows for my Hoyt recurve, attached sights, etc. I left it with him so he could take the bow apart and give it a thorough check.

Good, hopefully there is nothing wrong with your bow.

ThackeG67
08-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Just don't do it again dude..I'm sure you will learn from your mistakes and for you to avoid too much damage in your bow..

Destroyer
08-04-2010, 06:16 AM
I took the Bow to a local shop with technician that I trust.

Good stuff. Doesn't sound like it will be too bad though. :)

Just don't do it again dude

If only it was that easy.

bluetick
08-08-2010, 04:54 AM
After dropping the bow off at a good, local archery shop with a tech that I trust, I picked it up yesterday. All is well with it. It just needed an adustment of the peep sight. So the bow survived, and I dodged a bullet. I was lucky, and appreciative of that fact. Won't happen again.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Thats great news. I just got mine back after having a limb crack. And it feels good to have it back.