PDA

View Full Version : Solid core limbs in 2011????

baerman
08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey guys,
I was just told that Martin's 2011 limbs are a solid core design. Where did the superiority of laminated limbs go? Anyway, the limb replacements that were sent to me are apparently 2011 limbs.....I'll know soon if they work out, and will let you know.
Thanks all!

Montalaar
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Why are those limbs 2011? How do they look like? What is the difference? Pictures?

baerman
08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey Montalaar,
Why the attitude? I was told by Joel at Martin that they are 2011's. They look just like the 2009's. I don't know what the difference is....they tested slow when I had the Pro Shop mount them on my bow and the bottom limb doesn't fit the new limb pockets too well. As for Pic's.....I don't have any. By the way, Joel also said that they are solid core limbs. How they can be better than laminated is a mystery to me.....it'll be interesting to see how they spin the limbs in 2011 after saying that the laminates are the reason that they've been better in the past. I JUST WANT MY NEW, $750.00 WARTHOG TO SHOOT WITHOUT BREAKING......NOW THAT WOULD BE NEW!!!

Take care, Montalaar.....and try to chill down just a bit.

gibson 787
08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I JUST WANT MY NEW, $750.00 WARTHOG TO SHOOT WITHOUT BREAKING......NOW THAT WOULD BE NEW!!!

You and me both! Very interesting news Baerman, I wonder if the limbs for my 09 Moab, which Joel is sending me will be the new solid core 2011 variety?

Have to say the new limbs for my 2010 Hog conversion are definitely not solid core, as they are dated November 09. As you know, this is my second set. Oh well if these fail, I guess there may be a light at the tunnels end with the new solid core ones. Hope so cause I love my Hog.

Montalaar
08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey Montalaar,
Why the attitude?

I am sorry but i do not get your point. What attitude do you mean? I am just interested in ANY news!

gibson 787
08-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I am sorry but i do not get your point. What attitude do you mean? I am just interested in ANY news!

Hey gentleman, I think this is just a misunderstanding from both parties. I'm sure no offence was meant from Montalaar. Baerman you have to remember English is not Montalaar's first language and although he does a great job with it, some times phrasing can differ from language to language.

MartinTech
08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
The 2011 limbs from martin are a solid glass limb widely used in the industry with most paralell limb designs. These limbs should provide the archer with years of shooting and hunting. thanks for your interest,,,,

gibson 787
08-03-2010, 03:35 PM
The 2011 limbs from martin are a solid glass limb widely used in the industry with most paralell limb designs. These limbs should provide the archer with years of shooting and hunting. thanks for your interest,,,,

Thanks for that Administrator. Does this mean the replacement limbs for my 09 Moab, which Joel will be sending me, hopefully soon, will be the solid glass variety?

Destroyer
08-03-2010, 03:54 PM
v

Dont get it either Monty? Would have asked the same questions. Maybe baerman is just a bit frustrated atm since his hog keeps breaking. :confused:

The 2011 limbs from martin are a solid glass limb

:eek: Solid limbs? Well that should stop the carnage. gibson 787 mate, hopefully your new limbs are solids.:)

Wonder what the weight difference is though?

gibson 787
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Wonder what the weight difference is though?

Also wonder what the efficiency will be compared to laminated???

bfisher
08-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I doubt if it would be made public, but I'd like to also know WHO is making these 2011 limbs for Martin, and whether they will fit the 2010 Roto cups or are they going back to the wider pre-2010 version.

Destroyer
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
what the efficiency will be compared to laminated???

Hopefully not much of a loss. There was a few fps difference between solid vs. laminated in the older hoyt's. They had up to to 18" limbs and since the limbs are only 13" long these days, might not make much of an impact. More of a difference in mass weight though. ;)

I'd like to also know WHO is making these 2011 limbs for Martin

Excellent question. I would like to think Martin is.

Montalaar
08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Until now Martin has made their limbs inhouse. many solid limbs are provided by Gordon Glass. So in my eyes there are only three possibilities:
- Martin bought new machines to make them in house.
- Gordon Glass or any other Manufacturer is making them.
- Martin found a new limb formula for high tension carbon solid core limbs.

baerman
08-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Good Morning Gibson 787,
I made a mistake in my first post.....they look like the new 2010 limbs, not the 2009's that I mentioned. As to weight, I couldn't tell a difference. They are camo dipped, so even though Joel told me that they were solid core limbs they may not be. Added to the frustration of two Martins that have broken more in the last year than all of my bows put together in 20+ years, it's hard to even get information out of Martin. One thing for sure, though.....the 2011's are solid core. I still wonder, after Martin has made major hay out of the superiority of laminated limbs, how they're now going to do a 180 and make the switch to solid core limbs. The ONLY thing that has broken on bows that I've owned in the past (not Martin) were items that simply wore to the point of failure. My Martins, however, have either been broken out of the box or failed very soon after I began shooting them. This is definitly my last attempt at making this Warhog run......I just don't have the time or the patience to keep dealing with the bows or the company.
Take care, brothers......hope your experiences with Martin are better than mine have been.

baerman
08-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention......the Warthog was definitely slower with the new limbs than when I first set it up out of the box. I was only getting 261 with the identical setup (arrow weight, draw weight, draw length and accessories added to the bow string). Previously, I was getting in the high 280's after setting it up brand new at the Pro Shop. Maybe some additional tuning. I'll have to wait to do that, though, because the new limb cups that they sent fit on the top limb, but the bottom cup left a pretty large gap on the side of the limb. They're sending me a new cup....hope it corrects the problem. If not, then the limb was sanded too narrow. Anyway, that's just about all of the information that I have to offer....the mystery continues!

Destroyer
08-04-2010, 05:42 AM
three possibilities:
- Martin bought new machines to make them in house.
- Gordon Glass or any other Manufacturer is making them.
- Martin found a new limb formula for high tension carbon solid core limbs.

Gordon Glass would be good, PSE uses them on X's I think. Would Martin need buy new machines? They have made solids in the past.

are a solid glass limb widely used in the industry with most paralell limb designs

Is that solids are widely used or is it a hint to the maker to be used, eg. Gordan Glass?

I was only getting 261 with the identical setup

Not good, not good. Not very encouraging is it.

Montalaar
08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
I heard that martin got new machines this winter to cut those new limbs. I would not wonder if they would buy some more for new limbs..

Destroyer
08-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I heard that martin got new machines this winter to cut those new limbs.

Sweet! Looking forward to this, really I am! :)

dragonsfire311
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
maybe it's the answer to all the cracked limb problems I've been reading about on here. I'm not sure if the limbs on my 03 prowler se are solid or not, but thankfully I've not had any issues with them.

Destroyer
08-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Could be the answer depending on who is making them. ;)

gibson 787
08-08-2010, 03:19 AM
maybe it's the answer to all the cracked limb problems

I'm probably just blowing in the wind here but for all the limbs that fail in the fork, and from what I've read that's most, I can't help thinking the problem could be solved by adding more body to the area from the fork down to the axle end, similar to the design of the Rytera limbs. My Alien has an extra 1/8" of thickness there and I'm still yet to hear of an Alien limb cracking in the fork.... touch wood. The extra thickness and strength there would greatly reduce twisting which is the cause of the upper laminates splitting.

I wonder what the extent of testing was with the new solid limbs? and I wonder how they'd react if there was a failure. I think the result would be a bit more violent compared to the laminated variety.

Oh well, I'm sure Martin would have performed some pretty extensive testing given the extent of the limb problems.

baerman
08-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Hey Gibson 787,
You would think that they would test before releasing, but then we had the 4 ply to fix the 3 ply problem and then immediately the solid to fix the 4 ply problem. Unfortunately, I think that conclusion that can be drawn is that we're the test....it either works or it doesn't. So far the newest "fix" on my Warthog has cost me an additional $50.00 out of pocket for a bow that ran close to $750.00 to begin with. Not a good situation.

Destroyer
08-08-2010, 06:06 AM
I wonder how they'd react if there was a failure.

Never had a failure on a solid limb in the past. Would it be worse? Doubt it, the laminated limb explosions are bad enough! ;)

I think that conclusion that can be drawn is that we're the test

We are certainly part of it.

gibson 787
08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately, I think that conclusion that can be drawn is that we're the test..

If that's the case, it is unbelievably bad business practice. The cost to replace limbs, or worse a complete bow recall is enormous, not to mention adverse publicity and for Martin it's all made worse because their niche is 'Low cost quality bows'. No I just cannot believe they have not done adequate testing this time around, the lessons would have been learned from the previous experience.