PDA

View Full Version : Hello,

Coop
08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Getting advice on the "Y" yokes in the cables(the two strings that connect to the end of axles)..
Is their any advantages or disadvantatages on having a longer or shorter
'Y' in the cable? Also, if their's a limit on how long you can have the yoke? Just thinking that the longer it is, less pressure would be on the limbs & less cam lean.....this is just a guess by me....

Thanks in advance,
Coop

Spiker
08-09-2010, 02:01 PM
That makes sense to me also. Guess there could be a point where one side would get in the way of your vision...?...

Destroyer
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
The longest you can make the yoke? Until it hits the cable guard slide when the bow is drawn. The longer spit helps to reduce the twisting of the limb I think. This was a theory in one of my earlier threads, that the custom 452X cable I put on my bow had too short a yoke, maybe helping the limb to split.

The next cable I buy will have a 8" split, similar to the original Martin and the same as the hoyts. Actually I would like to try a floating yoke, it has good possibilities. :)

Montalaar
08-10-2010, 07:12 AM
A floating yoke is senseless. The 'float' can add stress to the cable and wear it out. A yoke with fixed ends can be used to tune out the limb lean. While you can shorten one side of the yoke cable to work against the lean this is impossible to a floating yoke.

A longer yoke gives you more space to tune as you can put some more turns in it.

Destroyer
08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Disagree on some points Monty. I don't think that wear would be a major problem, not too many complaining about their Hoyt's. With floaters the limbs would find their natural position, with some lean if things haven't been made correctly, but I think that lean is overplayed sometimes. Putting too many twists to correct lean is bad for the limbs.

The good thing is I could always turn the floating yoke onto a fixed one very easily. :)

Montalaar
08-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I heard that Hoyt is not using a floating yoke anymore. At least on the target bows. ;)

It is common knowledge that a floating yoke takes away some room to tune.
The yoke may float in the best position - for the limb. Which can lead to exessive cam lean. I could write a book about that. I have seen Hoyts with floating yokes that collapsed because the cam leaned away and the yoke kept floating.

Coop
08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Thank you for your thoughts.... next time when I order cables, I plan on getting eight inch yokes instead of 6.5 inches.

Thanks Again,
Coop

Destroyer
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
It is common knowledge that a floating yoke takes away some room to tune.

Don't disagree. Maybe thats why Hoyt is going back to fixed yokes on the target bows? Could be other reasons though, post GFC. ;)

The yoke may float in the best position - for the limb. Which can lead to exessive cam lean.

Hopefully the bow will be made well enough for this not too happen, cam lean comes from parts being misaligned or not designed correctly in the first place. But I see your point, if there is excessive cam lean its not helping the limbs either. I like the idea of a floating yoke still.

I plan on getting eight inch yokes instead of 6.5 inches.

Will be interesting to hear what happens. :)