PDA

View Full Version : Old Martin Firecat, need to change DL

joshuahodges
10-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I am setting up a Firecat with XR limbs, I need to change the draw length, the Flite wheels it has on it are the 2.5" 31" draw. His draw lenght is aprox. 28-27.5" What can I do to get this changed over, I assume i need to get new strings and cables and new wheels, or can I switch it out with a different cam system? The cheepest way the better obviously, he just had a kid and cant affoard to much. Any help would be much appreciated.

724wd
02-14-2007, 04:31 AM
i am looking at the same situation. firecat with XR limbs - need to go shorter DL.... ANYONE?

724wd
02-14-2007, 04:57 AM
here's the answers i've found so far...

"It is not advisable. The riser on the Firecat is cast magnesium and is not as strong as a machined aluminum riser would be. But a lot of people are doing it. So far we havn't heard of any risers braking. Use the Scepter cam charts. Don't do it if your bow has the old wood center xrg limbs. You must have the Coreflex straight or recurve limbs. Any cams listed for the Scepter can be put on the Firecat. Do a search on Firecat on hear and on Archery Talk.com. This is a start.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115189&highlight=firecat
Good luck,
I started to do it to my Firecat and got talked out of it. Wish I had.
Robert"

"Originally Posted by rlocksley
Hello, I have a Firecat XR in which the limbs have taken a set at a lower poundage when I stored it away. The Pro shop also informed me that the cable needed replacement. They check with Martin a found that the limbs and cables are still available.
I am currently shooting a Phantom II with nitrous-X setup and loving it.
The question is; Is it possible to convert the Firecat to newer limbs with the nitrous-X setup?
Thanks in advance.
PS, I also own a Prowler XRG. I have always preferred Martin bows to any others available."

in response to the above...

"joelc says:
It would be quite expensive to put nitrous cams on this bow, though we do offer an upgrade (highly recommended) which includes: new 16" limbs, new z-cams with complete set of composite modules and new strings for about $125.00, other than your original riser this is a brand new bow!!! if you would like more details or would like to schedule an upgrade give us a call at 1-509-529-2554 and one of our tech would be happy to help."

so, if a guy wanted to KEEP his existing composite limbs and add new cams/cables/string, would Z-Cams/cables/string be a good match? would the newer cams (FURY, NITROUS, FURIOUS) be better? basically, what CAN i put on this bow?

Robert58
02-17-2007, 04:17 PM
here's the answers i've found so far...

"It is not advisable. The riser on the Firecat is cast magnesium and is not as strong as a machined aluminum riser would be. But a lot of people are doing it. So far we havn't heard of any risers braking. Use the Scepter cam charts. Don't do it if your bow has the old wood center xrg limbs. You must have the Coreflex straight or recurve limbs. Any cams listed for the Scepter can be put on the Firecat. Do a search on Firecat on hear and on Archery Talk.com. This is a start.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115189&highlight=firecat
Good luck,
I started to do it to my Firecat and got talked out of it. Wish I had.
Robert"

"Originally Posted by rlocksley
Hello, I have a Firecat XR in which the limbs have taken a set at a lower poundage when I stored it away. The Pro shop also informed me that the cable needed replacement. They check with Martin a found that the limbs and cables are still available.
I am currently shooting a Phantom II with nitrous-X setup and loving it.
The question is; Is it possible to convert the Firecat to newer limbs with the nitrous-X setup?
Thanks in advance.
PS, I also own a Prowler XRG. I have always preferred Martin bows to any others available."

in response to the above...

"joelc says:
It would be quite expensive to put nitrous cams on this bow, though we do offer an upgrade (highly recommended) which includes: new 16" limbs, new z-cams with complete set of composite modules and new strings for about $125.00, other than your original riser this is a brand new bow!!! if you would like more details or would like to schedule an upgrade give us a call at 1-509-529-2554 and one of our tech would be happy to help."

so, if a guy wanted to KEEP his existing composite limbs and add new cams/cables/string, would Z-Cams/cables/string be a good match? would the newer cams (FURY, NITROUS, FURIOUS) be better? basically, what CAN i put on this bow?

If you read the posts that I told you to read you already now that you CAN PUT ANYTHING YOU WANT ON YOUR BOW with a little modifications.

But trying to do it without buying the newer Corflex 17" recurve limbs is a wast of money. Those wood core XRG limbs are not gong to hold up to the forces of the new Furious cams. And you will end up having to buy new limbs anyway.

Go on Archery Talk and buy you a set of used 17" recurve limbs that will get you the poundage you want with the cams of your choice(Fury, Nitrous or Furious) and use the Septor charts to get the correct Cable and String lenghts and you are set.

Good luck,

Robert

724wd
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
robert, i guess I just have a hard time with written words... :D i'm a visual guy!

I've read a lot on the subject, many posts here and on archerytalk. I don't have wooden limbs, they are solid glass. i will work on getting pics, but i am now wondering if there is the possibility that the existing cams on the bow are modular for draw length and still available somewhere. perhaps when i get the pics, it will be more clear. i am interested in this conversion because of the ability to upgrade slowly, spreading out the cost over a period of time, since my wife is not going for the price of a new bow. keeps going on about our baby coming in June... like she cares - she's a baby!

but, my birthday is coming, and there may be the possibility of a new bow in there somewhere.... :D in the meantime, i'll keep reading!

Robert58
02-17-2007, 09:10 PM
robert, i guess I just have a hard time with written words... :D i'm a visual guy!

I've read a lot on the subject, many posts here and on archerytalk. I don't have wooden limbs, they are solid glass. i will work on getting pics, but i am now wondering if there is the possibility that the existing cams on the bow are modular for draw length and still available somewhere. perhaps when i get the pics, it will be more clear. i am interested in this conversion because of the ability to upgrade slowly, spreading out the cost over a period of time, since my wife is not going for the price of a new bow. keeps going on about our baby coming in June... like she cares - she's a baby!

but, my birthday is coming, and there may be the possibility of a new bow in there somewhere.... :D in the meantime, i'll keep reading!

That's different. Tell me what lenght limbs and what cams you have now. And we can go from there.

Robert

Robert58
02-17-2007, 09:46 PM
The problem you are going to have is when you change cams the poundage on your bow will change and you may not be able to draw your bow. My old Firecat had the 16" straight limbs with energy cams and if I had of put Nitrous cams on them the change in poundage would not have been acceptable. You need to call Martin and ask them what limbs and size cams you would need for a Septer III to get the max poundage you want and draw lenght you want for the cams you want.

Robert