PDA

View Full Version : Max distance for whitetail with 55# pull

Timbo
08-11-2010, 06:34 AM
I would like your input on the maximum distance on a clean kill with my specs. I know much has to do with each persons ability so please give me the "Max" and I will practice at that distance and I will be efficient when the time comes. I will not attempt the questionable or impossible. I do not know my arrow speed.

elkslayer4x5
08-11-2010, 07:07 AM
On how well you can keep your arrow in the whitetails kill zone, also upon the arrows weight. At the risk of attracting the attention of the ethics police, an arrow will kill at any distance, if it placed in the proper spot. :D
Here's the arrow speedometer
http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html#

Spiker
08-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree with elkslayer. Max distance is determined by your ability and the situation at the time of the shot - not by the bow.
I killed two different Mule Deer at 75yards with a 60# Martin and 412gn arrows. Both pass thrus.
That was back in my younger days when I shot a whole lot more than I do now and practiced out to 95 yards. These days I only practice out to 65 so wont shoot at a deer more than 50. And only at that distance if all is perfect.

Timbo
08-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks. I will only be practicing out to about 40 yards so I was trying to determine if a perfect 40 yard (maybe 45) shot presented itself the arrow would have enough to kill and not wound the deer.

Ehunter
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
40 yards should be well within range of the bow, as long as you do your part. Depending on what type of head you are using, you may not get a complete pass through, but a dead deer with an arrow sticking out is still a dead deer. I would recommend a cut on contact, or fixed blade for penetration. Pass throughs are nice for trailing, but I've shot several deer that the arrow didn't pass through, and they expired just as fast.

Timbo
08-11-2010, 02:43 PM
That's good to know. If I practice at 40 then I only shoot at 40. I am using a cheap fixed blade now and plan to step up to a better one. Thanks for the info!

bfisher
08-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Just another thing to think about. The effectiveness of a broadhead is not determined by it's price. There is, to my knowledge, the Rage Titanium that costs about $80 for a pack of three. There is also most Muzzy or Wasp heads that cost roughly $25 per half dozen. This in no ways implies that the Rage kills better than the other two I mentioned. Just that there are people who are gullible enough to think so.

How effective a head is is determined by how sharp it is, how well it flies (bow tuning), and how well it holds together while piercing flesh and occasionally rib bones. Shoulder bones don't count--we aren't supposed to shoot bones.

Destroyer
08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I will only be practicing out to about 40 yards so I was trying to determine if a perfect 40 yard (maybe 45) shot presented itself the arrow would have enough to kill and not wound the deer.

Try practicing out to 60 yards. Not all the time but you need to get some experience at this longer range even if you limit yourself to 40 yards. It will show up flaws in your form strait off. 60 yards isn't very far really.

The bow will have enough energy to kill at any range you can hit it correctly. That's the key, shot placement.

Just that there are people who are gullible enough to think so.

And the world is full of them. Like Barry said, sharpness, tunability and strength is most important.

elkslayer4x5
08-12-2010, 05:59 AM
How effective a head is is determined by how sharp it is, how well it flies (bow tuning), and how well it holds together while piercing flesh and occasionally rib bones. Shoulder bones don't count--we aren't supposed to shoot bones.

The last deer I shot was at 35 yds, got a pass thru, cut a rib going in and another on the way out, I examined the blades with a magnifying glass, no nicks or anything to show that it had just gone through the chest cavity of a blacktail, other than blood and hair. Sharpened it up and that same 100 gr Muzzy is back in the quiver. That 6 pac of Muzzys is now up $33 in Lancasters cataloge. :D

Destroyer
08-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Phantoms or 3 blades?

Timbo
08-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Now I set myself up as your target. I currently have Allen Gunnerson Low Profile green heads. (You buy cheap if you don't know if you are going to stick with something) The helpful guy at Dick's (seriously) is trying to convince me to go with G5 Montec since he is using them and one of his coworkers tried them and has recently switched. One note about this college guy at Dick's - He is the best one there. I now ask him his schedule so I know what days to visit until I master working on the bow myself. He even explains what he is doing for me to learn.

elkslayer4x5
08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Destroyer, Why, the good, of course! :D That would be Muzzy 3 blade, 100 grain is my personal fav. :)

flytier17
08-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I would like your input on the maximum distance on a clean kill with my specs. I know much has to do with each persons ability so please give me the "Max" and I will practice at that distance and I will be efficient when the time comes. I will not attempt the questionable or impossible. I do not know my arrow speed.

Like the others said, on a clean shot, your bow will kill at any distance. the limitation is your shooting skill.

I also learned that skill on the range doesn't equate in the field. there are many more variables in the field. I have never shot a deer yet, but from the little experience i have had, I can tell you it is a lot harder than the range.

Right now, i can shoot a killing group at 60 yards. A year ago, when I was shooting every day, I could shoot the same at 80.

However, from drawing on a couple deer while hunting (never took a shot), i was quite surprised at how hard the shot would be. One was a simple affair of 40yds. However, buck fever, cold, stiffness, and an angled shooting position prevented me from taking the shot. I drew, and found that there was no way i could hold steady enough to shoot.

Until I have a lot more hunting experience and kills under my belt, my absolute limit is 35 yds, or less if the conditions warrent it.

just dont assume that your range skills are going to be just as good in the field.

Alec

Timbo
08-12-2010, 02:37 PM
flytier17 (Alec), Your post compliments the others and gives me great information to add to the database. Soon I will be able to practice shots from various angles and heights to simulate more of a field shot so I won't be wounding the animal. I now know to expect the unexpected when out. Thanks!

Destroyer
08-13-2010, 04:01 AM
That would be Muzzy 3 blade, 100 grain is my personal fav.

Good head, never tried to resharpen one though. Any tips for me please?

Until I have a lot more hunting experience and kills under my belt, my absolute limit is 35 yds, or less if the conditions warrent it.

You might find that distance will be the same for the rest of your hunting years. A lot of hunters never shoot past 30 yards and its not such a bad idea, especially when you get consistent opportunities. :)

elkslayer4x5
08-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Good head, never tried to resharpen one though. Any tips for me please? :)

Really pretty easy. Take 'em apart, and then hone them on a super fine stone. A few drops of oil, place blade on stone, hold the 20 degree bevel flat to the stone, and a few strokes later its sharp again. I tried the practice blades that Muzzy sells, but I don't think they fly the same as the real blades, so I tuned with the real blades, and when done, resharpened them, one of them has been sharpened twice now, since it went though a blacktail. Its back in the quiver now, can't tell which it is as it show no trace of being used. :D

Destroyer
08-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I'll have to give it a go. Being able to resharpen them will be good for my budget.

Cheers mate! :D

elkslayer4x5
08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
my absolute limit is 35 yds, or less if the conditions warrent it.

Alec

Are you sure about that? He's grazing 40 yds away. Notice all of the scars on him, he's a California Roosevelt Elk, lives with protected mountain lions. :eek: This is 40 miles from where I live. Small rack, big bull, over 1000 lbs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Usal/DSCN1138-1.jpg

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Timbo id say within 25 yards would be a good comfort zone with your set up. If you needed to a 40 yard shot practice for it. Id advize smaller pins .019 for longer shots if needed.

I have always shot Thunderheads and I like them. I have been hearing great things about slick trick broadheads. I bought the 100 grain standard heads for my gfs crossbow set up. They only cut an inch but I hear they fly so true. With your set up you may want a broadhead that will fly better with less surface area and have less wind resistance for those longer shots. I have no shot them yet but here the reviews for slick tricks are amazing.

Spiker
08-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Are you sure about that? He's grazing 40 yds away. Notice all of the scars on him, he's a California Roosevelt Elk, lives with protected mountain lions. :eek: This is 40 miles from where I live. Small rack, big bull, over 1000 lbs

No question - he would get a 100gn Buzzcut right thru him.!!!!!!!!!!
Pass the garlic salt please.

Timbo
08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
In reply to Bowhunter_IL_BT, Thanks, I plan for about 25 yards and plan to practice up to 40 yards. Good news, my Viper H1000 sight has (5) .019 pins.
Now for the other guys and the broadheads, Keep the info coming! I am learning a great deal from your conversations.
Thanks to all!

Destroyer
08-15-2010, 07:24 PM

If your limit was 35 yards and your discipline is good, then you would try to get that 5 yards closer, and I would respect that greatly.

If he was in my part of the world @ 60 yards............... no problem at all! ;)

Pass the garlic salt please.

LOL! :D

Timbo
08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Wife just got me up with the smellin salt after seeing the pic. There may be a time when I stalk as much as possible and aim a little higher than last if that one comes into view.!

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-16-2010, 11:41 AM
If your limit was 35 yards and your discipline is good, then you would try to get that 5 yards closer, and I would respect that greatly.

If he was in my part of the world @ 60 yards............... no problem at all! ;)

LOL! :D

Timbo was asking his comfort zone for whiletails. Now for elk thats a different story 40 yards would be no problem with a huge kill zone. Timbo you definetly need those .019 pins for longer ranges. Of course as long as you can see them well enough. 5 pins on a bow ??? Unless you going target shooting or shooting long ranges you don't need that many pins. Granted you may not be shooting as fast as some others. I only use 2 pins max if my range is within 40yards.

Timbo
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
5 pins is a lot for a bow I admit. I was thinking of removing 1 or 2 of them. I figure 1 - 20yds, 2 - 30yds, 3 - 40yds, 4 - 50 if I get the opportunity to practice or visit a 3D range.

dragonsfire311
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I use a trophy ridge alpha v5 sight w/5 pins, however it is a vertical pin sight so not alot of clutter in the sight. Whitetail's personally I would only take a shot out to 40 yrds although my sight is sighted out to 60 just in case I ever get to hunt out west. In Florida most of the time your shots will be between 15 to 30 yrds. My family has property in West Virgina where I might have to take a longer shot, but I would not shoot in further that your comfortable with.

Timbo
08-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks Dragonsfire. I fit into that range. I am trying to find a good place to hunt right now. I am just to new to go to a public area right now. I do not want to take a chance on injuring myself or someone else not knowing they are right up on me. I feel if I keep it close I should be fine.
Thanks again everyone!

flytier17
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I have a 5-0.019' Spot-hogg for hunting. For practice, I will shoot it out to 60ds, but the top two pins are all i need to hunt with.

BTW, there are als 0.010" pins available from a couple places too. I have some, and with enough fiber, they are plenty bright enough, and ultra precise.

For that elk photo;

#1 Set up as I am, in ideal conditions (open country, no crosswind, and a clear level line of sight where i had a nice steady shooting position, i cannot honestly say i would pass the shot opportunity. I would be confident taking it.

#2 If I was hunting Elk, knowing long shots are the norm in the open country, i would have my bow back where i wanted it at 65lbs, some nice heavy thin FMJ's, and a lot of practice. i don't think i would go on an Elk trip unprepared for shots out to 60yds. As mentioned, they do offer a bigger target, and they don't jump the string like a deer is capeable of doing.

Thanks,
Alec

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
0.010" pins

Cant stand them that small Alec. I seem to shoot better with the .019" pins even at longer ranges.

i cannot honestly say i would pass the shot opportunity.

If you had enough opportunity's you might pass it up, I might too. Easy for me to say @ 60 yards I'd still have a go. ;)

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 09:24 PM
you definetly need those .019 pins for longer ranges.

There is a good side to using .029" pins @ longer distances, they are brighter, and it looks like you are holding steadier. Sometimes if you notice how bad you are wobbling, it makes the wobbling worse. And they are not exactly huge, especially compared to the old metal pins we use to have. Plenty of dear were shot with those things.

5 pins is a lot for a bow I admit.

I had 8 on a PSE F-35, too confusing and I hated it.

I figure 1 - 20yds, 2 - 30yds, 3 - 40yds, 4 - 50

If you want to keep 40 as your max then why not 1 - 10yds, 2 - 20yds, 3 - 30yds, 4 - 40yds.

Timbo
08-17-2010, 04:41 AM
I am adjusting to the smaller .019 pins fairly well and since I only have it now at 55# pull I am having no problem holding it steady.
Not a bad idea for the 4 pins at 10 - 40yds. I haven't adjusted the sights after having the pull increased so I will see. There was not much difference between the 10 & 20 before the increase so I am really looking forward to seeing how much they differ.