PDA

View Full Version : limb issues

WARTSHOOTER
08-11-2010, 06:44 AM
i have been reading the threads about martin limb issues are the Warthogg limbs having issues to ?and i'd love to hear what tuning tune ups the folks are doing to make it shoot better

oncechance
08-11-2010, 06:53 AM
It appears that 2009 bows that have the Cat 2 Cams are having the most problems with limbs cracks. These cams are aggressive and the limbs just are not holding up. Martins has stated any limbs that crack will be replaced with the new 2011 solid limbs.

elkslayer4x5
08-11-2010, 07:21 AM
will be replaced with the new 11' solid limbs.

I know that you mean 2011 limbs, but it reads 11 inches, and with that in mind, WOW thats some power stroke, gotta be a pretty low brace height :eek:

oncechance
08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
" = inches and ' =feet or year.:D I will modify my post so everything is clear.

Spiker
08-11-2010, 08:01 AM
My '09 Firecat has about 7500 shots on it and has not had any problems at all. It is 60# 29"dl shooting 390gn arrows.

huntmohr
08-11-2010, 08:46 AM
I sent by firecat to martin at the end of july because the upper limb broke. I read that they are replaceing the limbs with 2011 parts, the limbs are not laminated. does anybody have one firecats updated and how does it shoot, faster, slower how does it draw. AND most of all will they hold up.

P.S> I hope to get my bow back SOON.:confused:

baerman
08-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Huntmohr,
I hope that you get your bow back soon, too. My Warthog (2009) had the limbs replaced with the 2011 limbs and was shooting about 20 fps slower. I haven't had a time to tune it some more, and don't know if I can recover those 20 feet. Hopefully, Martin has done some side by side tests and knows the answer, but you probably won't be hearing from them.

WARTSHOOTER
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
i have had mine a couple years now i shoot it at 63 lbs and 340 easton carbons at 294 it works great but it is the first i heard of issues with the warthog,the bow is a great hunting rig hits the target like a ton of bricks :D

PUG
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Huntmohr,
I hope that you get your bow back soon, too. My Warthog (2009) had the limbs replaced with the 2011 limbs and was shooting about 20 fps slower. I haven't had a time to tune it some more, and don't know if I can recover those 20 feet. Hopefully, Martin has done some side by side tests and knows the answer, but you probably won't be hearing from them.

Your cams are not timed correctly. If you're bow is at the same poundage as it was prior to repair the bow will shoot the same FPS. The bow will not lose FPS due to the updated limbs.

Destroyer
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
" = inches and ' =feet or year.:D I will modify my post so everything is clear.

Actually mate, that should be '11. Before, not after. ;)

My Warthog (2009) had the limbs replaced with the 2011 limbs and was shooting about 20 fps slower.

Are the limbs the same weight? Heavier? This could slow the bow down.

There was always a speed difference between the laminated & solids on the older Hoyt's, and looks like the Powerhawk/TurboHawk could show this as well.

Your cams are not timed correctly.

Even with poorly tuned cams, I wouldn't expect a 20 fps drop.

baerman
08-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Good Morning Pug,
Pug, the replacement limbs were installed and set up at a local pro-shop to the tune of $50.00 out of my pocket. Intial efforts on the Shop's part could not get the bow any closer than 20fps slower with the new 2011 limbs, and the tech there is a Martin fan that who's skills are very highly regarded. I'm continuing to try and tune the bow a bit myself to see if I can get it up off of it's knees, but as folks on this forum can attest, I am anything but a bow technician. So far, though, the evidence shows that the 2011's are substantially slower.....the Warthog is now essentially a 330 fps/IBO archery instrument...at the very best. Guess this testing is fun for those into archery as a technical hobby.....I just wanted what I paid over $750.00 dollars and climbing dollars for.

gibson 787
08-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi Baerman. That's not encouraging news as I'm on my third set of Hog limbs, latest the newer 1.5" variety with the 2010 rotocups, but not the latest solid glass variety that you have. The bow is shooting beautifully, but I have to admit, I run my finger nail across the limbs after almost every shot and would always take a back up bow when leaving home.

I must say that the Warthog IBO of 350fps is, IMHO, a little stretched so to speak. I think IBO is a little more around the 330 to 335fps mark. Your findings of a 20fps loss in speed, if confirmed, would not be good news for future Martin owners, those who require limb replacements and in particular Martin the company. I would suggest you email or phone Joel at martin and hear what he has to say about it. Twenty fps loss is considerable and would mean that to achieve similar speeds on bows with the new limbs, one would have to pull on average, an extra 10# DW.

baerman
08-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Good Morning Gibson 787,
Yes, you're correct that it's probably not good news. I have had conversations with Joel.....really not a conversation, just me asking a question and being met with more of a political silence or double speak. Joel is a great guy, no doubt about it, and he really can't say much....but, I've got over $800.00 invested in a bow now that isn't what I bought. I wanted tough, laminated limbs, and believed the Martin advertising. Now I've got a solid, slower limb with all of the attendant problems.....probably a $400.00 bow. Sometimes you just don't get what you bought....guess this is really one of them. If I can at least get it semi-functional and dependable, at least it'll fling arrows, but I'm going to have to relegate it to the back of the closet.
Take care, brother......hope that it turns out well for all of us.