PDA

View Full Version : MV 2 Cams

The Phantom
08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a 2003 Martin MV2. The draw length is 27". I need to find some cams for with a 29" draw length. I believe they originals are Fury Cams. Can I still get cams for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Phantom

dragonsfire311
08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Have you tried looking on ebay, they did have a few draw modules for martin's on there. don't know if they are the ones you need.

bfisher
08-12-2010, 07:04 AM
You might also look in the classifieds on Archery Talk. If you don't find anything then post an ad the WTB section.

The Phantom
08-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I am gonna Call Martin and see what my options are. I believe I have to change the limbs too, which I don't really understand why.

May be time to just shine it on, though I do love the bow!

The Phantom

The Phantom
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Have you tried looking on ebay, they did have a few draw modules for martin's on there. don't know if they are the ones you need.

I checked ebay with no luck. Seems Ineed Fury #2 cams or Fury X #1 for the 29" draw. I did read I may have to change the limbs too, which doesn't make much sense to me. WHy would the limbs need to change with a simple cam change!!??!?!

The Phantom

The Phantom
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
You might also look in the classifieds on Archery Talk. If you don't find anything then post an ad the WTB section.

Soon as I know what I need I shall place an ad.

Thank you!
The Phantom

bfisher
08-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I checked ebay with no luck. Seems Ineed Fury #2 cams or Fury X #1 for the 29" draw. I did read I may have to change the limbs too, which doesn't make much sense to me. WHy would the limbs need to change with a simple cam change!!??!?!

The Phantom

If my knowledge base serves me right there is a logical explanation. Fury cams are draw-length specific, right? To change draw length you have to change the cam and string. If you are changing (in your case) to a larger cam then the draw weight is going to go down. The bow is going to draw easier.

It's just like using a lever to move something. With a given length of lever it takes X amount of force to do the work. Use a longer lever and it takes less effort on your part to do the same job. A cam on a bow, because of it's shape, is nothing but a lever. It starts at a certain position and the length of that lever is continually changing as the cam rolls over. Start with a longer lever (larger cam) and the whole workload ( limb stress= draw weight) becomes easier.

Now I don't have any experience with the Fury cam, but just guessing you'd lose about 10# from the draw weight if changing to 2" longer draw length. Maybe Scott can clarify this.

I hope I explained that well enough for you.

Robert58
08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
This the Fury Cam and Limb Chart. Going from 27" to the larger 29" cam you will loose 5 lbs. draw weight.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/chart/2001chart/fury_cam-limb.html

Robert

The Phantom
08-15-2010, 08:03 AM
If my knowledge base serves me right there is a logical explanation.................. Maybe Scott can clarify this. I hope I explained that well enough for you.

Makes perfect sense! SO its not a question of actual fit, but simply a change in poundage! So, If I can tolerate the lose, I really don't HAVE to swap the limbs.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to this neophyte!

I have been out of archery for 20 years, and things have changed a bit. Its a lost passion for me and I have been rebitten pretty hard.

Do you know the difference between the fury and fury X cams? I suspect it is simply let off?

The Phantom
PS - Being new here, Who is "Scott"?

The Phantom
08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
This the Fury Cam and Limb Chart. Going from 27" to the larger 29" cam you will loose 5 lbs. draw weight.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/chart/2001chart/fury_cam-limb.html

Robert

Thanks for posting that! I found the Cam/string chart , but this is a new one to me.

I can happily live with a lose of 5 lbs! Do you know the difference between the Fury / Fury X cams?

The Phantom

Robert58
08-15-2010, 09:14 AM
The reguler Fury cams just have a cable track on one side and require a cable guard. The fury X cams have a cable track on both sides and use two cables on each side of the limb. No cable guard torque. I have a new, to me, Scepter IV with the Furious X shoot through system and I am loving it. I shoot Fingers and I am getting better arrow flight with the shoot through than I ever got with a bow with a cable guard.

Robert