PDA

View Full Version : best way to tune firecat

huntmohr
08-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I should get my firecat back this weekend from martin. what are some tips to tune my bow. where to measure and what to twist.

09 firecat updated after upper limb cracked. 70# 29" draw. carbon express 350, 100 grain tips blazer vanes 4 degree off s:confused:et.

gibson 787
08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Go to this link, www.archerytalk.com then do a search, Martin Cat Cam-optimum settings. There's a whole lot of info there, should keep you busy for a while.

Good luck and have some fun!

arrowsenfoam
08-12-2010, 07:54 PM
What rest are you using?

I use a walk back method with good results. Hopefully you have enough spine with those 350's.

rjd
08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Here is the actual thread . Get to reading.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601&highlight=cat+cam+tuning

It is up to 6 pages.

Destroyer
08-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Hopefully you have enough spine with those 350's.

Might have, I'd got to a .300 for 70# with cat's.

huntmohr
08-13-2010, 08:41 AM
I shoot with a ultra rest. Why 300, to light?:confused:

SonnyThomas
08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Take a good hard look at non-factory tune up tricks. Measure everything, ata, bh, draw length and draw weight. I tried one of these so-called "get yor bow screaming" tune jobs. What I ended up with was a bow that had the claimed "tad more cam whip" and more draw weight with all other measurements within specs. Well, no big wonder why it had more giddy up and go.

Wanna tune job? First, tune your bow to Martin's Manual. I could show you a hand full of busted nocks and tore up vanes.
Second, French Tune to get optimum center shot. Follow with playing with the nocking point to see if groups can be tightened. Usually, French Tuning is done out to 60 yards, but if you want even better results try longer yardage.

rjd
08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
How about a link to French tuning. I've done the walk back tuning .

arrowsenfoam
08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Stay away from that thread and any advice on it. Stick with all factory specs. 09 Firecats are not easy, if even possible to tune. Mine is good as can be but the tune is ugly. I have quality strings and cables, rest. I tried all spines.

Cam lean is the killer on these 09 Firecat's, they are terrible.

If you figure something out please let me know.

Good Luck.

Destroyer
08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Why 300, to light?:confused:

Just a guess. Your 350's might be ok. Tuning will tell you.

SonnyThomas
08-14-2010, 05:33 AM
How about a link to French tuning. I've done the walk back tuning .

Here you go. John has several articles on tuning and other things that would help a lot of people. 2nd down is his Home page where you can register.

http://www.dudleyarchery.info/articles/usarcher1FT.pdf

www.dudleyarchery.info

SonnyThomas
08-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Stay away from that thread and any advice on it. Stick with all factory specs. 09 Firecats are not easy, if even possible to tune. Mine is good as can be but the tune is ugly. I have quality strings and cables, rest. I tried all spines.

Cam lean is the killer on these 09 Firecat's, they are terrible.

If you figure something out please let me know.

Good Luck.

I've tuned a few and had excellent success. In fact, I can't remember any Martin bow that wouldn't tune.

Cam lean isn't a killer. It can be corrected quite easily. May take a few twists, but can be done.

Spiker
08-14-2010, 06:25 AM
I've had no trouble tuning my '09 Firecat and dont have any cam lean. I put a set of aftermarket cables/strings on it, wrapped the cams up per the advice on AT Cat Cams, bow specs are right on, it shoots 390gn at 295fps (60# 28.5") and will shoot both GT XT 5575 and 7595 arrows with field points and broadheads to the same POI.
Same is true with my AX and Nemesis set up the same way - altho the Nemesis will shoot a little tighter groups with the stiffer spine...
I think tuning the CAT and HYBRIX cams is easy. -and fast if you use a press.

huntmohr
08-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Thank you all for the info. I do some tuning in the past myself but cable twisting I would have done at basspro. Basspro was flooded out this spring and will not open untill winter. I must tune my bow myself. Someone said my 350 shafts might be to light. My bow is at 70# 29 in. I thought they were a little heavy. I do not push my bow for max speed, I do not want it to break. Martin just rebuilt my bow, top limb cracked. 09 firecat, updated to 2011.:D

arrowsenfoam
08-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Well guys I just noticed cracks in my limbs as well. What is the turn around time for them to swap the limbs? I have hunting season starting up in 2 weeks.

bfisher
08-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Well guys I just noticed cracks in my limbs as well. What is the turn around time for them to swap the limbs? I have hunting season starting up in 2 weeks.

Ouch and........Ouch to your question. Maybe one of these other guys from Oz can tell you more about how long it takes to ship parts there. Two weeks? I wouldn't count on it, but hopefully I'm wrong.

One thing is for sure. If you know what you're doing you can change the limbs and retune the bow in a couple hours if you take all your measurements before you start. You should be real close right from the git-go.

huntmohr
08-14-2010, 10:26 AM
:eek: limb cracked 7/29/10. called martin, spoke to joel. sent back usps express mail. fedex should deliver bow today.

fell like a kid the day before xmas

polaris754
08-14-2010, 12:36 PM
well i think that u should first get that kitty back first , then i would treat her to a bowl of milk , make sure martin didnt put her claws back in pet and stroke the riser check the wiskers then i would go see kenny at bow tuning tips . com and see how kenny dose it , i just did mine and it shoots awesome !@:rolleyes: i will tell u one thing martin c s is next to none in my book, i goy my bow back promptly and its better than it was when i bought it !

gibson 787
08-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Maybe one of these other guys from Oz can tell you more about how long it takes to ship parts there. Two weeks? I wouldn't count on it, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm one of the guys from OZ and I spoke to Joel at Martin on July 28 about my cracked Moab limb. He advised that replacement parts would be shipped as soon as possible. To date nothing has arrived.

USPS priority shipping to Australia generally takes 5 to 10 business days. The best I have had was 3 business days.

Destroyer
08-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Someone said my 350 shafts might be to light.

If that someone was me, It meant spine not weight. Someone :rolleyes:

The best I have had was 3 business days.

Bet my best, four days but that wasn't from Martin. :)

Destroyer
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
www.dudleyarchery.info (http://www.dudleyarchery.info)

A bit of free reading there. Cheers Sonny! :)

SonnyThomas
08-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Yes. Free and a lots of it and great articles with tons of information. I would liken it to the tons of info in General Archery Information in ArcheryTalk.

www.dudleyarchery.info