PDA

View Full Version : Bengal cable guard

hunt123
08-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Just rummaging around on AT and on the internet, I noticed some older comments (2007 - 2008) regarding being able to adjust the Bengal cable guard from one position to another. Like maybe from 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

Is that ability gone now? Mine doesn't seem to be able to have any adjustments made to it.

elkslayer4x5
08-14-2010, 06:50 AM
The older comments may have been about cable guide rods that have an offset, a bend. Is your guide rod straight? There should be a set screw holding your rod in place, take your guide rod out and put a little bend in it, or you can buy one. With bent rod in place, turn it till you're happy with it. :D

hunt123
08-14-2010, 07:32 AM
I wondered if the old rods were bent. That's kind of the basis for my question. The new one is straight and carbon so it can't be bent.

Bent ones that fit aren't available. I've looked. If I wanted one, the only option would be to make my own, probably out of aluminum and polish it real smooth.

bfisher
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I wondered if the old rods were bent. That's kind of the basis for my question. The new one is straight and carbon so it can't be bent.

Bent ones that fit aren't available. I've looked. If I wanted one, the only option would be to make my own, probably out of aluminum and polish it real smooth.

The old dog-legged one from Martin was Teflon coated stainless steel with splines machined in the end that fits the bow. If you are astute enough to be able to make one then you shouldn't have much trouble just getting any 3/8" cable rod and taking a hacksaw to it.

It doesn't have to be a Martin rod. 3/8" is pretty much the standard these days. Cobra used to make one and there are a couple others. There doesn't seem to be much demand for them any more though as there is only one listed (Saunders) in Lancaster's catalog.

polaris754
08-14-2010, 12:48 PM
just my opinion , just put a rod cable gaurd on and call it a day :rolleyes:

Destroyer
08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Didn't think getting an offset one is that hard. They even have them here.

Ehunter
08-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Cobra still makes one. I added one to my Moab last year as a makeshift STS. It's the bent version, not straight. Worked like a charm!

hunt123
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Didn't think getting an offset one is that hard. They even have them here.

You're right! Wow! In the online store under bow parts, page 2. Wish I'd known that back a while ago when my cam was chewing the crap out of my serving. If it starts up again, I'll just get that offset cable rod.

Destroyer
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Good stuff. Didn't think they were that rare. :)