PDA

View Full Version : Limb durability ?

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-15-2010, 08:02 AM
On my Cheetah I put a new custom string on there a few months ago. My poundage is up and maxed out to 73 lbs. The new strings bent the limbs a little more to get those extra 3 pounds. The strings were the right length just a little tighter than the string Martin gave me. I have shot it over a 100 times and no problems at all.

Should I be concerned about the limb breaking with that high of poundage????

I can pull it back no problem and with me being only a 26 in draw I would like every amount of kinetic energy and every advantage I can get.

Destroyer
08-15-2010, 07:36 PM
I would keep my ATA over the spec. If its under it may cause a problem with the limbs. I'd rather shoot a 70# bow and have it last.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I would keep my ATA over the spec. If its under it may cause a problem with the limbs. I'd rather shoot a 70# bow and have it last.

The ATA is only 1/4 of an inch short its very close to the spec. What did you mean by shoot 70# and have it last??

dgshooter
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
He means to go over the ATA by a 1/4 inch rather than go under. If you overstress the limbs they will be more prone to breakage.

It's better to have a 70# bow with good limbs than a 73# with cracked limbs. the wait for new limbs will be at the worst possible time-like the day before season.

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 08:25 PM
That's what I meant exactly dgshooter. ;)

If its under by 1/4" I wouldn't risk it, especially for the extra 3#, not much of an increase. But that's just my honest opinion. :)

oncechance
08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
The ATA is only 1/4 of an inch short its very close to the spec. What did you mean by shoot 70# and have it last??

I don't think you will have problem or concern with you bow with the ATA being 1/4" off spec. I addressed this same question to a Martin tech and I too am off 1/4" and they stated that was within tolerance. The factory specs. are a guideline as to where your specs. should be but they have a +- tolerance, as with any manufactured product.

Destroyer
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
they stated that was within tolerance.

Maybe it is but with the recent limb failures I still wouldn't risk it. I just don't like the idea of pushing more than the recommended peak weight by dropping the ATA. If the DW is correct at the lower than spec ATA, it wouldn't bother me as much.

If we had bullet proof limbs, none of this would matter. :)

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Onechance thanks for the imput. Destroyer I have shot the bow over 100 times and it seems to be holding up very well. I wanted to put the custom string on cause the strings Martin has on the gold series bows are not very good. I wanted to put a tubeless peep on the string. The string I made sure was the right size that Martin recommended. Im not sure why the new string would pull harder than the other. Maybe cause its its stronger ???? I may try to contact a Martin Tech guy.

Destroyer
08-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Maybe cause its its stronger ????

Nope.

For your ATA to be shorter than it was, heavier DW, your string and cable would have to be shorter than before if your draw length is correct.

bfisher
08-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Not to sound too condecending, but if you don't like it at 73# then just turn the limb bolts a turn and take 3# off. Really though, 3# isn't much. Most bows will draw that much more right out of the box. My 50# Alien Z came out of the box at 58#. Now that definitely called for a limb change as I have no plans of ever shooting over 50#.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Not to sound too condecending, but if you don't like it at 73# then just turn the limb bolts a turn and take 3# off. Really though, 3# isn't much. Most bows will draw that much more right out of the box. My 50# Alien Z came out of the box at 58#. Now that definitely called for a limb change as I have no plans of ever shooting over 50#.

Hey bfisher you helped me out in picking out that custom string I got at H&M and its been a great string so far. :D I actaully like the bow at 73 lbs. and want it set up that way. I just wanted to make sure that the limbs won't crack if I leave it at that poundage. I have shot it a lot and no troubles. Just wanted some people's opinions. The new string was the same length as the one on the specs chart that Martin specified.

bfisher
08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the 3# extra. I think Martin had more than their share of limb problems in 2009. If your bow is one that has a problem then I'm sure it won't be because of those couple pounds. Heck, on a different bow they might actually be 80# limbs so who can tell. Just shoot it and hope for the best. You'll worry yourself into a heart attack if you don't watch out. Then you'll have more than a limb problem. Take care.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey Destroyer and Bfisher I got feedback from Martin Tech support and they said the 73 lbs was fine. They recommended not to go above 5 lbs. He said the cable strings should be fine. Bfisher I was never worried about it but just wanted to cautious. The new string has been great! Can't wait till opening day in IL Oct.1 :D

Destroyer
08-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Can't wait till opening day in IL Oct.1 :D

Good luck! :)

oncechance
08-20-2010, 07:04 PM
+2 on October 1st.