PDA

View Full Version : What size of serving for serving around cams?

archery82
08-16-2010, 03:43 AM
I want to serve where the CCS and cams come in contact with my string and i am wondering what size and best gripping serving there is out there.

SonnyThomas
08-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I take it that you are going to serve both ends and where the CCS contacts.
You should be able to use .020" or .021" BCY. Where the string touches the CCS just about anything will work. I used BCY 452X Green bow string material to better match the two tone green and black string.

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I used BCY 452X Green bow string material to better match the two tone green and black string.

Heard about this before but never tried it. How does it wear and how well does it stay in place?

SonnyThomas
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Actually, I've been using BCY 452X for quite awhile for both the string area that touches the CCS and serving in peeps. So far no slippage and no wear. I have two 1/4 pound spools of black and green. Boss ordered the 452X for the guy that worked here before me. I figured if it worked it was better than letting it sit there and collect dust. I have also used a quality Extra Strong Button & Carpet thread for tied string nocks and serving in peeps. I usually wax it first. Wife got tired of me using hers so she bought me my own. Hold on to your billfold! For 50 yards that stuff cost $1.99 plus tax!

bowgramp59
08-17-2010, 05:32 PM
i use BCY 3d for my loop serving its where it goes around the cams, i have also used spider wire 65# test , it only comes in green, i do not use any serving on my ccs. i think to much serving slows things down.

Destroyer
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Wife got tired of me using hers so she bought me my own.

LOL! That's the way mate! ;)

For 50 yards that stuff cost $1.99 plus tax!

But wouldn't you rather use an archery brand? You know it will be better. :rolleyes:

i have also used spider wire 65# test

Fishing line? Hey, if it works.

elkslayer4x5
08-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Fishing line? Hey, if it works.

Yep, it does work, I used 12 lb mono to tie my peeps in. Did that last year when my order from Lancaster was slow getting to me, got impatient and got out the fishing gear. Still on there. It does however move, if you want it to, it is hard to move, but will slide up or down. :D

SonnyThomas
08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
But wouldn't you rather use an archery brand? You know it will be better. :rolleyes:

Maybe the archery brand would be better, but then, the last time I used the button & carpet thread it lasted as long as the bow string. You ought to see the way I tie in my draw cord for my Doodle Drop rest. ??? Maybe you shouldn't.... Well, I'll try to put up a pic... What you see is how it is and has been for the last 3 years and 2 sets of bow strings. Look close. There's a gap between the string and the knot. I leave it that way to drive others nuts.

bowgramp59
08-18-2010, 07:33 PM
this is what iuse to make strings for 60# bows . i use 22 strands of BCY trophy, for the end serving BCY 2x mini-end serving .015, for the loop serving BCY #3d serving .017, and for the center serving BCY 62xs braided center serving size .018 . for tieing in my peeps and cat whiskers i use the same trophy i use for the strings.

Destroyer
08-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Maybe the archery brand would be better

Nah, just teasing ya mate. :D

There's a gap between the string and the knot. I leave it that way to drive others nuts.

LOL! I use a d-loop knot for the cord on my drop rests. Easy to change. :)

Montalaar
08-19-2010, 01:17 AM
I recommend .018 halo serving made by bcy.

Halo serving is very clean and makes a smooth surface. I recommend 0.18 in diameter as it has the best ratio of price and benefit. I really love the clear version. :)

SonnyThomas
08-19-2010, 06:31 AM
I like the halo. .018" diameter for the ends around the cams would be fine. For center serving diameter would be different depending on make up of the string. I have set made up by Vapor Trails. I'll put a pic later.

SonnyThomas
08-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Had heck of a time taking pics. Too bright or too dark. Here's what I got. Of course if you have a ShadowCat you gotta have a black cat, right? Bought all 4 3Ds for a $100.00. A local club was selling off targets to get new McKenzies as they are going strictly ASA. I think I got a bargin.