PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Tuning question

Archerbuck_32
08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Hello all,

I own and love my Martin Phantom.
Only problem is the string snapped on it this spring, no problem, go to my local archery store. New string put in. All should be good right? Well everything looks good BUT...

Can't seem to tune the bow anymore.
Right now my 20 yard sights is set to it's maximum setting on the sight and the sight itself is at maximum setting and I still shoot too high, so that means my sight needs to go higher but it can't!

Tried lowering the arrow rest, lowering nocking loop, moved everything down on the string but still doesn't work...any idea... I really don't want to get rid of this wonderfull bow...

Thanks all!

dragonsfire311
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Did you try moving peep sight up? My bow was shooting over a foot low after I had it restrung and I moved my peep up an inch and now it's dead on.

bfisher
08-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Hello all,

I own and love my Martin Phantom.
Only problem is the string snapped on it this spring, no problem, go to my local archery store. New string put in. All should be good right? Well everything looks good BUT...

Can't seem to tune the bow anymore.
Right now my 20 yard sights is set to it's maximum setting on the sight and the sight itself is at maximum setting and I still shoot too high, so that means my sight needs to go higher but it can't!

Tried lowering the arrow rest, lowering nocking loop, moved everything down on the string but still doesn't work...any idea... I really don't want to get rid of this wonderfull bow...

Thanks all!

This isn't all that hard to figure out. Just guessing, but I'll bet you never measured anything prior to replaing the string. Assuming that the bow is tuned right now you are probably anchoring lower than before---peep is higher. Therefore your bow will shoot higher. Moving your peep down the string will make you anchor higher and the bow will shoot lower.

In other words you don't need to be playing around with rest height, nocking point height and such. You can set the rest height so the arrow bisects the rest mounting holes or close. Then set the nocking point so the arrow is perpendicular to the string. Set the centershot and then tune the bow. Once you have it tuned leave it alone.

Then you start the sighting in process. Once you have it sighted in and are comfortable with everything you should measure all the bow's specs. Then measure the nocking point height in relation to the rest. Then measure how high above the nocking point your kisser and peep are located. And don't forget to physically measure the draw length and weigh the bow for draw weight.

Once you have all these measurements recorded all you need to do next time you change strings is set everything up again and the bow should be very close.

I could go on but this should be enough for now.

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Yep, lower the peep. Remember, your eye position doesn't change. ;)

Once you have all these measurements recorded all you need to do next time you change strings is set everything up again and the bow should be very close.

Should be standard practice for everyone. :)