PDA

View Full Version : How do I measure draw length of Cheetah?

scottie
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I have a 2009 Cheetah that was originally set with a 28.5" draw length from the shop. I felt that an extra 1/2" would be better so when I left it with the archery shop to have new strings and a QAD ultra rest put on, I had them adjust it to 29". Now maybe I'm just being picky, but it feels long. In the Martin manual it says that draw length is 1 3/4" + the distance from the apex of the string at full draw to the pivot point of the grip. I have no idea where the pivot point of the grip is. What I can say is that the QAD rest is positioned farthest to the rear (3/4" from the back of riser) which would allow me to shoot the shortest arrows. When I nock a 28" arrow and draw back, the end of the insert is even with the rest. Does that sound right? It would take a 29 3/4" arrow to put the end of the insert in the middle of the riser at full draw. I read on another website that the distance from the apex of the string to the FRONT of the riser is the same as the A.M.O standard. That would be roughly 30 3/4". It has the F7 mod in with the cable on peg 1 and the draw stop bottomed out. Thanks

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I have no idea where the pivot point of the grip is.

The pivot point is the deepest part of the grip, just below the shelf. Use the middle of the rest hole in line with this point + 1 3/4" to get AMO Draw Length.

When I nock a 28" arrow and draw back, the end of the insert is even with the rest.

So the end of the insert is 3/4" behind the riser with a 28" arrow and with the f-7 mod? The DL is way longer than 28.5". With a 28" arrow @ 28.5" DL, the arrow should be near the center of the riser.

I read on another website that the distance from the apex of the string to the FRONT of the riser is the same as the A.M.O standard.

Some recurves are measured this way but no, its not the same. That was the point of the AMO standard in the first place, compound risers can have totally different shaped risers but the AMO standard fixes the problem. :)

scottie
08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
"So the end of the insert is 3/4" behind the riser with a 28" arrow and with the f-7 mod? The DL is way longer than 28.5". With a 28" arrow @ 28.5" DL, the arrow should be near the center of the riser."

Thats what it is now which is supposed to be 29" draw length not 28.5". Right now with a 28" arrow my insert is about 1 3/4" away from the center of the riser. Does that sound right for a 29" draw?

Destroyer
08-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Thats what it is now

It would take a 29 3/4" arrow to put the end of the insert in the middle of the riser at full draw

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Right now with a 28" arrow my insert is about 1 3/4" away from the center of the riser. Does that sound right for a 29" draw?

At a 29" AMO draw, (minus the 1 3/4") is 27 1/4" from the nocking point to the pivot point in the grip at full draw. If the end of the insert (end of the arrow without a point) is 1 3/4" behind the riser, it is wrong.

At 29" draw, the end of the arrow without a point should be just about 5/8" in from the front of the riser. This is an approx amount. You need to measure your draw length accurately!

Would have though you would have a F-6 mod for 29" DL anyway.

scottie
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
According to martins website for the 2009 cheetah the F7 is for 29" max. Still seems longer than 29" though. I'm heading down to a different pro shop today so I'm going to have them check it out. Thanks for the help

Spiker
08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
If your coming down to C/S take it to The Archery Hut.

scottie
08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Alright, took it down to Western Archery in Salida. They measured the draw length at 30 1/2". Kinda what I was expecting. They put on the F6 mod and now I'm sitting right at 29" which is perfect! To top it off, they didn't even charge me anything. Thanks again Destroyer for the help. Your measurements and the F6 mod were spot on!

Destroyer
08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
they didn't even charge me anything.

Can't get better than that! Good to hear you got it sorted. :)