PDA

View Full Version : New Bow Advice? (x-150)

Ryan29
08-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Ok so I've been interested in taking up Archery for quite some time and i've finally made an a move towards buying a bow. After quite some time of shopping around I decided that I wanted to go with the X-150 recurve as my first bow. But lately ive been reading online posts that this bow is prone to limb breaks. Can anyone please give some advice on whether this bow is reliable or just a peice of garbage? Thank you!

Also, if anyone could give some advice on how this bow handles with hunting. Eventually i would like to start bowhunting and I would like to know if this is a good hunting bow as well.

Destroyer
08-17-2010, 04:39 AM
If you have a good dealer near by and are prepared to take it back if it breaks then go for it. This is the same for any bow really.

Personally, I'd be looking for a cheap second hand bow on eBay to start off with. There have been some good Howatt's, Pearsons, even Martin's, going cheap there.

Ryan29
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Thank for the advice destroyer :), although the ebay thing is out of the idea because im lefthanded and it is nearly impossible to find a left handed bow on it :/.

Destroyer
08-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Really no lefties on eBay? Seen a few, almost bought one until I saw it was left hand. You might want to check out pawn shops, garage sales, etc, as well. That is where most of the bows on eBay come from any way.

Good luck finding a bow. :)

Destroyer
09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Spammers. :mad:

damascusdave
10-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Thank for the advice destroyer :), although the ebay thing is out of the idea because im lefthanded and it is nearly impossible to find a left handed bow on it :/.

On the contrary left handed bows tend to sell on eBay for less than their right handed counterparts. My first recurve was/is a Ben Pearson Pro Staff 3000 that I bought on eBay a couple of years back. You can create a search for left handed bows and then get an email when one comes up for sale.

Actually I am working on that bow right now. It had some plastic inserts on the magnesium riser and one of them was missing so I took them all off ( when he discovered it was missing the owner offered to knock some more off the already reasonable selling price of 160 bucks). Now I am making some new ones out of scrap walnut from my dad's basement.

DDave

damascusdave
10-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Ok so I've been interested in taking up Archery for quite some time and i've finally made an a move towards buying a bow. After quite some time of shopping around I decided that I wanted to go with the X-150 recurve as my first bow. But lately ive been reading online posts that this bow is prone to limb breaks. Can anyone please give some advice on whether this bow is reliable or just a peice of garbage? Thank you!

Also, if anyone could give some advice on how this bow handles with hunting. Eventually i would like to start bowhunting and I would like to know if this is a good hunting bow as well.

If you check the Martin website you will notice that the X150 is not listed under the Howatt bows, meaning that it is made somewhere other than Washington state. The X200 used to come from offshort as well, but I notice it is now under the Howatt umbrella.

I will send you a pm.

DDave