PDA

View Full Version : d loop keeps rotating on the string

archery82
08-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Hey guys and gals. My d loop won't stay in place, it keeps rotating every time I shoot and that creates a real problem with seeing through my peep! Any suggestions on a fix? Brand of d loop material or what not?

guntercb
08-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Archery82,

In my experience the Martin Strings do not allow the peep to consistently rotate to the same spot. Either get a peep with a rubber tube or get a custom string made for your bow.

Good luck

Montalaar
08-19-2010, 08:26 AM
That does not help with the D-Loop-rotation.

I recommend a Catfish loop. With this loop you have no rotation.

guntercb
08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Montalaar,

I think he is having a string issues. Maybe I am just jaded regarding the string issue. ;) I don't think you want to use the D loop to steer the peep, but I am no expert.

that creates a real problem with seeing through my peep

I don't have my D loop set tight and it rotates after each shot, but with my new sting I don't have an isssue with my peep. I do have the D loop with the top of the loop going around one side and the bottom going around the other side so that it stays roughly centered from shot to shot, but it does move.

Cheers!

bfisher
08-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Montalaar,

I think he is having a string issues. Maybe I am just jaded regarding the string issue. ;) I don't think you want to use the D loop to steer the peep, but I am no expert.

I don't have my D loop set tight and it rotates after each shot, but with my new sting I don't have an isssue with my peep. I do have the D loop with the top of the loop going around one side and the bottom going around the other side so that it stays roughly centered from shot to shot, but it does move.

Cheers!

Don't feel so bad, Simon. I'm one of those guys who feel using a loop to turn the peep is putting bandaid on a bigger problem. If the loop is turning on the string then this is just going to cause more problems.

I don't use a loop, but have installed many and here's a little trick I came up with about 5 years ago. When installing a loop you need to wax the serving in the location that the loop will tie to. Then lightly wax the loop material to be used. Install the loop as you normally would and make it as tight as a bull's ass, as we Americans say.

The wax will act as a lubricant, reducing the friction between the loopand the serving, allowing it to pull tighter. Another thing is to keep the loop as short as possible. Just enough that your release doesn't hit the arrow's nock when clipped to the loop. The more loop you have hanging back the more mass there is to make it swing around the string.

Bear in mind that this will not work if the serving itself is not tight. So how do you know if it's tight enough? Strip it off and do it yourself, as tight as you can get it.

This is one of the reasons I don't use a loop, along with other reasons. I use a rope release (target style) and have never worn out a rope or serving. I've been using the same release for over 8 years now and it still has the original rope. Using this I never have to worry about whether my next loop is tied the same or is the exact same length as the last one. One less problem to think about.

archery82
08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Archery82,

In my experience the Martin Strings do not allow the peep to consistently rotate to the same spot. Either get a peep with a rubber tube or get a custom string made for your bow.

Good luck
I dont have a Martin string, I use americas best

Destroyer
08-19-2010, 09:40 PM
That does not help with the D-Loop-rotation.
I recommend a Catfish loop.

Knotless loop? Very safe loop but more work.

All I use is BCY # 24 Poly. No problems with it rotating. If your having peep rotation problems, just grab the string above the peep and twist opposite, works for a while.

I use a rope release

If only more releases were available with ropes. :)

guntercb
08-20-2010, 05:32 AM
This is one of the reasons I don't use a loop, along with other reasons. I use a rope release (target style) and have never worn out a rope or serving. I've been using the same release for over 8 years now and it still has the original rope. Using this I never have to worry about whether my next loop is tied the same or is the exact same length as the last one. One less problem to think about.

Bfisher,

What do you use for a nocking point? Do you tie a nock above or below the arrow? I assume if you nock is above the arrow that you put the loop of your release under the arrow nock? I am curious to learn more about rope release usage.

Thanks for you pointers on waxing the center serving.

Montalaar
08-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Destroyer,

that is the reason why i am using it. I am glad to invest around 30 minutes to make me a unique d-loop which will fit to my style of shooting to 100% if i can avoid the possibility of hitting me in my own face. :D

bfisher
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Bfisher,

What do you use for a nocking point? Do you tie a nock above or below the arrow? I assume if you nock is above the arrow that you put the loop of your release under the arrow nock? I am curious to learn more about rope release usage.

Thanks for you pointers on waxing the center serving.

No need for me to make a long disertation. You have explained it to a tee.
Tied-on nock above the nock and the rope butts up against it on the bottom.
For a lot of years I used two brass nocks above the nock. Then went to one brass nock set and dental floss above it to keep it from sliding. Just about the last ten yearsItried tying it and it works.

With the nock-set tied above I used to screw it up or down the serving wne tuning. Depending on how tight it was tied this became a chore. Now with most rests today being more adjustable I just start with the nock-set 3/16" high and adjust the rest.

I guess old habits are hard to break, but I've been using a rope release since the mid 70's when I shot a lot of field and target. After a while the rope takes a bend and canbe hooked up in about 2 seconds without even looking at it. So really, for hunting what's the difference whether you glance at that or a loopwhen hooking up.

Destroyer
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
if i can avoid the possibility of hitting me in my own face.

Never good that. After my face punch, I went to a R Enterprises Knotless Loop for a while. Very confident with it but eventually went back to the standard d-loop. Now at any sign of wearing or cutting on the d-loop, it gets replaced. I have also gone to tied in nocking points above and below the nock so the loop doesn't wear as fast.

Don't blame you for using one though. Any chance of a tutorial Montalaar? :)

Montalaar
08-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Sure. I can make one with pictures if interested?

Destroyer
08-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Would be fantastic mate. Cheers! :)