PDA

View Full Version : Loop HowTo

Montalaar
08-21-2010, 04:30 AM
I will keep this tutorial as short as possible. Making your own loop out of serving is not that hard. Once you have some experience it will become pretty easy.

You need:
Approx. 60cm of serving material (that is more than 20") and a strand of waxed string material.

Picture 1 shows a design i made to get always the same size of Loop on my bows. The different screws give me the possibility to make different loop lengths from short to long. The distance between the two posts must be as twice as long as the distance from the string to the deepest point of the loop should be. You can finetune that later by making wider knots for your nocking point.

Wrap the serving around the posts. I recommend a thin serving but in this tutorial you can see a loop made out of .022 serving. With .018 serving i recommend 3 runs around both posts. This will lead to a total strength of 6 strands at your release. Make a knot so the serving material can not change its length and put it around the String. Important: Leave a short part of serving on the one side and a long one on the other side.

Picture 2 shows how the Loop has to be put onto the string. Put the knot you made at one side of the string and wrap your loop around it. you will have three strands on each side as you can see on the right side of the picture. Start wrapping the long end of the serving material around your loop. The short side should be wrapped under the serving you are making now. After around 1/3 of the Loop cut the short end and continue to serv your loop (Picture 3).

After 2/3 of the Loop take the strand of the string and make a Loop with it - see picture 4 as a reference. Now just continue with your serving. It is important to serv the string loop in. As soon as you reach the end of the loop you will have to put the serving material into the string loop as shown in picture 5.

Now pull the string through the serving. As you put your serving yarn into the loop it will be pulled under the serving as you can see in picture 6. Pull it tight and cut the end off. You will get the same result as you can see in picture 7. The loop should be able to move on the string and turn around it. By making two nocking points between the two ends you can secure it. See the right loop as a reference.

Some important details:
Never wrap your loop serving around the string. This will cause you loads of problems.
Wrap the serving as tight as possible and wax it. This will give you a long lasting loop and will also reduce the friction.
The red loop that can be seen on the right side has been used for quite a while. As you can see it looks like new. 8 strands of .018 serving.
I prefer my loops as small as possible. The jaw of my Carter is around 1/16" away from the nock of my arrow.

Hope this helps you. :)

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1504/dloop.jpg

Spiker
08-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks Simon.!

Destroyer
08-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Excellent stuff! :D

Timbo
08-22-2010, 07:42 AM
That is awesome!

Montalaar
08-22-2010, 07:59 AM
It's a pleasure.

I am sure my knowledge is pathetic in comparison to Barrys but if i can help you out - why not? Writing HowTos is quite nice for me. :) So if there is something else.. ;)

bfisher
08-22-2010, 12:14 PM
It's a pleasure.

I am sure my knowledge is pathetic in comparison to Barrys but if i can help you out - why not? Writing HowTos is quite nice for me. :) So if there is something else.. ;)

Don't sell yourself short, Simon. That was good stuff. I could write it too, but it would take about three pages for me to say the same thing. We just excel in different areas. Mine is more general in nature. You did well young man.

gibson 787
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Don't sell yourself short, Simon. That was good stuff.

Agree wholeheartedly, you're both great for the forum!!