PDA

View Full Version : Alex

Montalaar
08-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Does anyone know when alex will come back? I know that he owns some perfect line bows and i just discovered something that connects those bows with Martin.. 0o

Destroyer
08-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Have no idea. Wasn't he moving house? :confused:

bfisher
08-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Have no idea. Wasn't he moving house? :confused:

Haven't seen him for a while now. Tell ya what though. If it were me, knowing I scuba dive, if I were moving into another house I'd make darn sure it was closer to the Graet Barrier Reef.

How's that Destroyer? We could be neighbors.

Montalaar
08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Next time you plan to scuba dive take a stop at Frankfurt Airport Germany. :P

Destroyer
08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
How's that Destroyer? We could be neighbors.

No problem at all Barry. :)

Maybe you could come out of retirement and be a Martin dealer here, we could use a decent one. ;)

Montalaar
08-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Sounds great. Will have to move to this area, too.

After finishing my phd..

alex
09-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Well, i'm back if anybody's interested ;) Luckily i haven't moved a house, i was just in our summer house in the Rodophe mountains here in Bulgaria for 45 days or so. I wish i was still there, but the summer is over :( I've shot a lot, really a lot - think i deformed my fingers permanently - but mainly my recurve and horsebow. My MOAB is as great as ever, did some long range shooting with it, including 100 metres shots without using the sight, but this summer i was more in the traditional archery. When i was not shooting i was covered with shivers, sawdust and glue, making bows :D
Simon, what's your info about Perfect Line? I know they have some connections with PSE, but haven't heard anything about them and Martin Archery.

bfisher
09-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, i'm back if anybody's interested ;) Luckily i haven't moved a house, i was just in our summer house in the Rodophe mountains here in Bulgaria for 45 days or so. I wish i was still there, but the summer is over :( I've shot a lot, really a lot - think i deformed my fingers permanently - but mainly my recurve and horsebow. My MOAB is as great as ever, did some long range shooting with it, including 100 metres shots without using the sight, but this summer i was more in the traditional archery. When i was not shooting i was covered with shivers, sawdust and glue, making bows :D
Simon, what's your info about Perfect Line? I know they have some connections with PSE, but haven't heard anything about them and Martin Archery.

Welcome back Alex. You've been missed.

Destroyer
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Welcome back. :)

I know they have some connections with PSE

pm. ;)

alex
09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the "welcomes" and the kind words, Barry and Destroyer :) I'm also glad that i'm back.

Montalaar
09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Welcome back, Alex. Nice to see you again.

Destroyer
09-07-2010, 05:05 AM
When i was not shooting i was covered with shivers, sawdust and glue, making bows

Taking the next step hey. How long until you have your own brand? ;)

alex
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Simon! Destroyer, i need some customers first, would you be a volunteer? :D I've made a bow and a crossbow for a neighbours kid, but my bows are quite primal yet to be given to real archers, not even mention about selling. Still i'm very proud of them, especially from the last two - blackthorn, fiberglass backed, one is a kind of reflex-deflexed and the other is a reflex bow. They look cool ... at least in my eyes :)

Montalaar
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Post pictures or it never existed!

While talking about self made things. I just bought a carbon wrap for my stabilizer and arrow rest so it will fit the look of the riser. :D

alex
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll try to upload a picture ot two, but it'll take a little time to find them among the thousands i've made. With this new cameras you shoot like insane :)
Simon, you can also give us some photos of what you've done. It'll be interesting to see the all-carbon bow.

Montalaar
09-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I ordered the thing around 2 hours ago. I bet it will take 2 weeks to get it done. And beside that i promised to make this CAT-cam tutorial which i regret already... xD

alex
09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
:) I see. The tutorial will be very useful - just saw a Firecat and an Alien today smiling at me from the shelf of the shop... May be the time will come when one of them will stand at a shelf at home.

Destroyer
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Post pictures or it never existed

Yes we want pictures! :D

Monty, don't worry too much about the video.

alex
09-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Here's a picture of the three bows i've made: the one at the top of the photo is made of juniper and the others of blackthorn, all backed with fiberglass. I'll upload a video in YouTube and will post a link later :)

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Iiiiii like them!

alex
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Thank you, Simon! Glad you like them. Here's a Youtube link, if you want to see them in action :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEGNRgIZ3_Q
Soon i'll upload there some other archery vids, including Martin MOAB shooting.

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Added you. ;)

But now stop reminding me of my own videos. Got to play with the carbon foil this weekend...

alex
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
:D Good luck!

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I'll wrap my Stabilizer in the foil. And if i have enough spare i will put some around the arrow rest, my release. I could wrap the cams in carbon.. hmmmm...

alex
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Sounds good, but if you wrap the peep also you'll go too far ;)

Destroyer
09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Just watched the video, good stuff mate! :)

alex
09-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks, Destroyer! Glad you liked it :)

Destroyer
09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I did like it mate. Have you finished them?

Were you using vanes is the video? Couldn't tell.

alex
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I have put the tips of the limbs into old sunflower oil, but the bows aren't finished. Just left them wrapped in the nylon (forgot the correct English name) which i've used to secure the fiberglass. The arrows are the cheap Perfect Line alluminium ones. They are fletched with vanes, not feathers and i use a piece of fabric wrapped around my wrist when i shoot them from bows without a rest.

Destroyer
09-11-2010, 04:06 PM
They are fletched with vanes, not feathers

Thought so. Maybe some homemade feathers will be on the to do list? :)

alex
09-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Last Christmas there was a rare view in the market near us - a farmer was selling living turkeys. Some were commenting how good they look, others how tasty they look, but the archer in me was interested only in their feathers. :D After a little chat with the farmer i received the next day a big plastic bag full of feathers for less then 1.5$ (the ones sold at the shop are 3$ for 3 feathers). So now i have enough feathers to fletch arrows for years. The only unpleasant side was washing them :) When i loose a vane i change it with a turkey feather and it works ok. I haven't fletched an arrow with 3 feathers yet, because i break the arrow before loosing all vanes.

Destroyer
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
The only unpleasant side was washing them

I bet. :D

When i loose a vane i change it with a turkey feather and it works ok.

I'd have to re-fletch to all feathers, not great economy but better flight I would think. Never tried a combo.

alex
09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd have to re-fletch to all feathers, not great economy but better flight I would think. Never tried a combo.

I'm a little lazy when it comes to fletching - i have no jig (except a system of cardboard, tin and laundry pins which i've made) and the damned super glue always comes in a magical way under my nails :D

Destroyer
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
i have no jig (except a system of cardboard, tin and laundry pins which i've made)

We should be calling you 'Macgyver'. :D

alex
09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
:D Another guy here called it a "redneck ingenuity", but "Mucgyver" sounds more prestigious :D