PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 2010 Warthog Mag

BPI
08-25-2010, 07:20 AM
After shooting a freinds Firecat , I sold my PSE X-force and got a Warthog. I absolutely love the smooth draw, the brick wall upon drawback, and the accuracy. I have shot Hoyt for years before getting the X-force, and can honostly say that the "Hog" can compete with all of 'em.
The one thing that I have a question about is.......the speed. I know that the listed IBO speed is 350 fps....Unsure of the grain arrow, but I am thinking it was 350 grains that got the 350 fps. I shoot a 430 grain (total weight) Easton FMJ with a 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade head. When I ran it through the Chrony it said it was going around 265 fps....My question for you guys is this : Is this normal ? If so, then fine, I am happy with the noshock shots and the accuracy. I am curious if this is the "normal" speed for this rig. Draw length is 30 inches , and pull weight is bottomed out at 70 lbs. I am not complaining about the speed, because I love the compact size, the accuracy and the overall bow. Just wondering if I need to do somethng...

NJArrowSpitter24
08-25-2010, 08:27 AM
i think your right, usually ibo speeds go by 30'' draw, 70#, and 350 grains. Im not sure if your arrow weight should make that large of a difference though...

Montalaar
08-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I think the speed is okay.
It is common to say here in germany that you cannot trust those numbers anyway.

Maybe you can get some more fps with tuning. But if you like the bow as it is now and you have no concerns about the speed i would recommend to just let it as it is.

BPI
08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Might just do exactly that. My main concern is the 85 fps dropoff ....Makes me wonder if something aint right.

I'm not a 3D archer, just a hunter, and prefer the heavier arrow in case of an angled shot or a nearly straight down shot. I want a pass through for sure.

Just talking about it gives me chills. Bama's bow season opens in about 7 weeks.

gibson 787
08-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Firstly I would check ATA, brace height, your draw weight scale and chrono to make sure all are accurate.

I have a Warthog and at 65#, 29" DL and 410gr arrow I'm getting 293fps. I agree with montalaar that if you are happy with where the bow is at currently, then leave it, but your numbers are way short of where they should be. Personally I believe that IBO 350fps is not achievable but 325-335fps is.

If you feel inclined, go to www.archerytalk.com and do a search on 'Martin Cat Cam-optimum settings' and you will learn everything you need to know about tuning the cams. Other than that you can always contact Martin or the dealer where you purchased the bow.

Good luck.

gibson 787
08-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I shoot a 430 grain (total weight) Easton FMJ with a 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade head

Just read your post again and need clarification. Is your total arrow weight 430gr or 530gr? If it's 530gr, then your speed is good.

Destroyer
08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
When I ran it through the Chrony it said it was going around 265 fps

How did your other bows read through the same chrono? Close to their quoted IBO?

I wouldn't tolerate 265fps. I'd want faster than that. :)

BPI
08-26-2010, 03:21 AM
430 total weight with everything.

My hoyt chronied 285, the PSE was near 300..

BPI
08-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Just looked at the link you gave me gibson, and tweeked on the cams for a while. My bow was nearly adjusted to the maximum for letoff and minimum for poundage. I adjusted them all the way for poundage , and could still comfortably hold the bow back. Had to adjust the cam stop on the one cam to get the wall where I wanted it , but that is about it. The cams seemed to be in time an everything looks good. One thing I noticed was a CONSIDERABLE leap in poundage. I suppose I was not pulling 70# after all. The limbs were both bottomed out , so I assumed since it was a 70# bow , it was pulling 70# when bottomed out. Truth be told , I was probably pulling back a little over 60#, if that. Also increased the draw length another 3/4 inch, luckily my arrows were a little long, so the just cleared.... I will chrony it and give you guys an update .....Thanks for the input.

bfisher
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Just looked at the link you gave me gibson, and tweeked on the cams for a while. My bow was nearly adjusted to the maximum for letoff and minimum for poundage. I adjusted them all the way for poundage , and could still comfortably hold the bow back. Had to adjust the cam stop on the one cam to get the wall where I wanted it , but that is about it. The cams seemed to be in time an everything looks good. One thing I noticed was a CONSIDERABLE leap in poundage. I suppose I was not pulling 70# after all. The limbs were both bottomed out , so I assumed since it was a 70# bow , it was pulling 70# when bottomed out. Truth be told , I was probably pulling back a little over 60#, if that. Also increased the draw length another 3/4 inch, luckily my arrows were a little long, so the just cleared.... I will chrony it and give you guys an update .....Thanks for the input.

If you have access to a chrono I would also assume you have access to a bow scale, and maybe a draw board. If so then it is always wise to measure the draw length and weigh it for draw length so you have the info for the future.

BPI
08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a chrony, but it was purchased for handloading ammo, I do not have a bowscale. But , I am sure my local shop has one.

bfisher
08-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I have a chrony, but it was purchased for handloading ammo, I do not have a bowscale. But , I am sure my local shop has one.

OK, but don't use one of those hand held Cardozas. They are notoriously about 4 to 5# too light.

gibson 787
08-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Truth be told , I was probably pulling back a little over 60#,

Thought that may have been the case BPI, as you stated the draw was so smooth.
With a bit of tweeking, you can get a 'fairly smooth' draw with Cat Cams, but I wouldn't say they are the smoothest on the block so to speak. They're fairly aggressive with a bit of a bump nearing full draw.

I'm sure when you get your Hog tuned you'll be very happy with her, as I am with mine!

Montalaar
08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Thought that may have been the case BPI, as you stated the draw was so smooth.
With a bit of tweeking, you can get a 'fairly smooth' draw with Cat Cams, but I wouldn't say they are the smoothest on the block so to speak. They're fairly aggressive with a bit of a bump nearing full draw.

I'm sure when you get your Hog tuned you'll be very happy with her, as I am with mine!

You can tweak that bump out of it. That was really important to me as a target archer.

gibson 787
08-26-2010, 01:05 PM
You can tweak that bump out of it. That was really important to me as a target archer

Yes you can, by adjusting the draw stop I believe. The bump is not a problem to me, but tell me Montalaar, why is it so important to a target archer. I thought once you get past the bump and into the valley, no difference? Or is it due to the fact that moving the draw stop gives you more holding weight and thus providing a stronger hold?

BPI
09-07-2010, 09:56 AM
O.K. people. After adjusting the cams on the hog I put it through the Chrony Saturday. Its shooting + or -287 fps with a 430 grain arrow. I know I could get another 10 fps out of it, but it is shooting like a rifle. My main pin is about 2 inches high at 20 yards, dead on at 30 years, and a couple of inches low at 40 yards. The letoff did suffer some , but not much. I can still easily hold it back for extended periods of time ( say a couple of minutes). This bow is now a killin machine and beggin me to take it to the woods. Thank yall for your help guys.