PDA

View Full Version : New 2010 Firehawk questions

NJArrowSpitter24
08-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2010 firehawk and was wondering what speed i should be expecting with #70 and a 350 gr arrow? The website says 315-320 but the firehawk has the cat 2 cams which on the warthog and firecat both shoot well over 335 fps.

Also to loosen the string so i can install a peep sight, i back down both bolts until the string becomes is loose?

Thanks guys, Sorry its my first Martin, switched over from a 2006 PSE Bruin:cool:

BPI
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Just posted a related question about my Warthog. With a 420-430 grain arrow , I am getting 265 on a chronographer. I would expect your forecat to be somewhere in the same nieghborhood, if not just a hair faster.

I handload ammo as well, and am discovering that much like advertised ammunition velocities, advertised bow velocites are "stretched" to say the least. Bottom line is that you never know until you run it throught the chrony. Those things will break your heart.

NJArrowSpitter24
08-25-2010, 09:45 AM
yeah lol i guess ill have to findout, i havent even shot it yet, i wanna install a peep and im not sure if i should do it myself or take it to a proshop.

BPI
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
If you dont know how to run serving, then take it to a pro shop. JMO.

NJArrowSpitter24
08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
i was hoping to maybe try to serve it myself by reading guides, have you ever tried?

Montalaar
08-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Serving the Peep in is quite easy. I can write a tutorial for this..

At least if you can wait until friday.

BPI
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Nope...Nver tried. But, I have a benefit of several shops nearby.

NJArrowSpitter24
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Serving the Peep in is quite easy. I can write a tutorial for this..

At least if you can wait until friday.

I was thinking it shouldn't be too hard. I appreciate it, I don't want to trouble you since there are a couple guides already, maybe if you have some tips?

I could just take it to a bow shop too but i was thinking it wouldn't be to hard.

Just to clarify something, can i back down the tension and ease the strings turning back the limb bolts? And if so how far do I turn them back? :confused:

Spiker
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Just to install a peep back the bolts out a turn at a time - one at a time untill you get enough slack to put the peep in. You can back them out untill you can see daylight thru the barrel nuts that the bolts thread into.

NJArrowSpitter24
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Just to install a peep back the bolts out a turn at a time - one at a time untill you get enough slack to put the peep in. You can back them out untill you can see daylight thru the barrel nuts that the bolts thread into.

ohh okay sounds good.

Anyone suggest a good peep to use? I always used tubing with my peep but i don't want tubing with this peep.

Montalaar
08-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I got wonderful G5 peeps from a user that has already replied to this thread. Since i have them i do not want to have something else.

I will wirte a short how to.
There are loads fo techniques to tie a peep in. Most us knots or glue. My method is quite common and is in no need of glue or knots. It is kind of a small serving. As soon as you have done it the frist times it is quite easy.

Coop
08-25-2010, 01:35 PM
yeah lol i guess ill have to findout, i havent even shot it yet, i wanna install a peep and im not sure if i should do it myself or take it to a proshop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZsDiVgthbo&feature=related

Coop

Montalaar
08-25-2010, 01:49 PM
That is the method i used a long time. even for nocking points.. :)

dragonsfire311
08-25-2010, 05:25 PM
don't have any suggestions, but that is the model I'm considering buying, how good does it shoot, light enough that it will not tire you out on a long stalk?

bfisher
08-26-2010, 11:15 AM
don't have any suggestions, but that is the model I'm considering buying, how good does it shoot, light enough that it will not tire you out on a long stalk?

Hey fella, somehow I missed you. Welcome to the Tech Forums. And might I add that you are real close to a couple of distant friends of mine here---Scepterman30 and Wisecane live right around the corner from you. And my Mom lives right down the road at Sunray.

Now, which bo are you referring to in your question.

dragonsfire311
08-26-2010, 02:56 PM
bfisher, I shoot an '03 prowler se right now, considering the firehawk to upgrade to. have short drawlength at 26". had prowler restrung a couple of months ago at guy at shop suggested going to dual cams and stay away from single cam because of drawlength being short for more speed.

bfisher
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
bfisher, I shoot an '03 prowler se right now, considering the firehawk to upgrade to. have short drawlength at 26". had prowler restrung a couple of months ago at guy at shop suggested going to dual cams and stay away from single cam because of drawlength being short for more speed.

I imagine your bow has the Dynacam. I'm a short draw fellow myself at 26.5" or so. I've got a 2008 FireCat with the 2010 upgrade and Cat 2.0 cams. You should call Martin customer service and talk to Joel. A FireCat with the Cat 1.5 cams might be just the ticket for somebody with your stature. A good talk with him might be worth your time to find out the details of such an order and what it would cost. And probably quite a bit faster than the FireHawk. Of course this would be a custom order, something that many people don't know about.

dragonsfire311
08-26-2010, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=bfisher;30432]I imagine your bow has the Dynacam...

nope my is 2003 model, has the fusion cam on it. listed in '03 at 295 fps but I shoot heavy arrows to hunt with easton XX75's, 2219 so its a little slower.

dragonsfire311
08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
my peep is a small, looks cnc machined with black finish, not sure of brand but works well. I don't like tubing either, had it on my old browning bow and it had a bad habit of breaking at inopertune time, ie deer in front of me at 30 yrds and i was at full draw, ouch.

Destroyer
08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
ohh okay sounds good.

Anyone suggest a good peep to use? I always used tubing with my peep but i don't want tubing with this peep.

G5 Meta peep, 3/16" for my hunting. :)

elkslayer4x5
08-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Arrow speed and Kinitic enegry calulator here. ;)

dragonsfire311
08-29-2010, 01:14 PM
found mine, it is fletcher tru-peep, comes in 1/8",3/16", and 1/4" sizes, $5.99 at bass-pro