PDA

View Full Version : Nock buying

Scott D.
08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Good Day All.

I have a question on Nocks, brass string nocks. I see they are sold by the number of strands in a bow string. Now, how do you know how many you have? It's not like I'm going to put it in a press, loosen the string up and count them. I have a new Rytera coming on Saturday, and it will ned to be set up. Thanks in Advance.

bfisher
08-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Knowing the number of strands isn't the complete answer these days. There are so many string materials, some having thinner strands than others. I'm pretty sure the recommendation for the brass nocks sets is leftover from the days of Dacron strings.

Basically there is BLUE for less strands on low poundage or kids' bows. Then there is BLACK that fit most strings today. The RED ones are for pretty thick servings.

If you really want to get the most out of your bow then don't use brass nocks at all. I quit usingthem some yeaqrs ago after I tested one bow with and without brass nocks. One brass nockset reduced the bow's speed by 4fps. They also cause wearto nocks, which can be detrimental to accuracy.

If you shoot a loop you can place serving (tied-on nocks) above and below the nock and tie the loop just outside the tied-on nocks. If you don't use a loop you can still use tied-on nocksets and hook the release just under the bottom one. Either way works reduces wear on arrow nocks, and nets you more speed than brass nocks.

Destroyer
08-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Like bfisher, I only use tied on nocking points & d-loops these days. Might use a crimp on with a traditional bow, but even then I would rather have a tied on nocking point. :)

Scott D.
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Tie on nock, knot a bad idea. That will save on a pair of pliars in the pocket as well. Thanks for the info.