PDA

View Full Version : alien z ?

rock
08-27-2010, 12:25 PM
i just got this the other day i have a loud twang to it i can figure out if its my rest which is a apache fall away any insight would be great

Destroyer
08-27-2010, 09:50 PM
There is a similar thread here. ;)

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=7432

rock
08-28-2010, 01:25 AM
thanks d i may have some rough spots on my mods my cables have some fuzz on the serving i only have about forty shots on it, what can i use to smooth out the rough spot on my mods

oncechance
08-28-2010, 06:42 AM
I have used fine emory cloth and others have posted using 600-800 grit sandpaper.

bfisher
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
thanks d i may have some rough spots on my mods my cables have some fuzz on the serving i only have about forty shots on it, what can i use to smooth out the rough spot on my mods

Rock, I have a "Z" and it's quiet as a mouse (almost). Best way to track down noise is to try holding the bow in one hand and thumping the riser with the palm of your other hand while listening for any rattles and such. Try to traak it down this way. Might be the rest, might be the sight. Cold be something in the bow.

As for the cable wear? I found on both my 2010 bows that the inside edge of the cable groove has a sharp edge. It's especially pronounced where the transition point where the cable rolls off the cam and onto the module itself. Best way to remedy this is to remove the modules and use a file to create a radius along this edge. After filing it to a slight rounded edge then use an emery board or fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out. This should alleviate the serving wear on your cables' serving.

rock
08-28-2010, 04:54 PM
thanks bfisher i will try this i started messing with this today a little bit was way out of wack, im building a draw board and a press because im sick of paying good money to only have to fix this stuff my self. i really like the bow i love the draw cycle i actually had a sr71 and traded the shop for this z . i all ready did the old hold and tap the bow from top to bottom i think the rest the way he had it set up has something to do with it. tomorrow im going to throw a few arrow out of heri just had my tonsils out so im not supose to but oh well thanks again

bfisher
08-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Well, just for comparison sake mine is low poundage and set up as a 3D rig. I gave up hunting a couple years ago. My Z is wearing a Trophy Taker Spring Steel rest, Spott Hogg Hog-It sight, 12" AEP stabilizer on a 10* down knuckle. On the string is a tied-on nockset and Specialty Supper ball peep with a #6 Verifier lens. Shooting a 26" GT UL600 with 80 grain tip and three
3" feathers weighing 260 grains. The bow was set at 50# and 26 3/4" draw.

When shot all the noise I got was a slight solid metallic "thunk". There was no after shock or other vibration to contribute to noise. There's so little shock or anything that I didn't even bother installing a wrist sling.

Recently I backed the bow down to 40# so I am getting a little string noise now, but with less tension on the rigging I expect such.

Hope this helps explain what to expect once everything is set to your liking.

rock
08-28-2010, 07:08 PM
are you talking in the cam, i drew back and i could see where the cable where the cam and the mod meet look like it could do this. this is my first bow with a rotateing mod

bfisher
08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
No, it's not noise at the module. This is just the nature of compound bows. The more they are turned down the more slack there is in the string and cable, thus more rubber band effect. All bows do it. If noise were an issue I could just add a couple turns to the limbs and tighten things up, but I'm more into comfort and getting the most accuracy from a bow. That means leaving the ego at home and shooting a weight that I can handle with the utmost of ease.

rock
08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
this sound is almost like a gutiar twang it sounds like my old pro line i have to get it on a draw boad and check the timeing out from what i hear they have to be right on or they are a little loud

bengal42
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Rock
Do you have an STS on your bow? I had one on my Bengal and I was getting a similar noise.Removed the STS and the noise went away.I still like the idea of an STS but can't figure out how to stop the "twangy" sound.

Joe

bfisher
08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, mine has an STS. You may be on to something about the cam timing. They may not be synced properly. This can be a major issue with these aggressive cams. You don't necessarily have to have a draw board, but it helps. You can just draw the bow as you normally would help.

Mark the position of the draw stop with a pencil. Then loosen it and slide it out of the way. 1/4" should do. Then draw the bow and anchor normally. The cams should hit their stop position at the same time and have a fairly solid feel. Now try to draw a little farther. If the cams aren't in syncronization you'll feel it. We call it a double-bump. It might be a little subtle, but it'll be there if they are out.

Now the good part. Figuring out which cam stops first and figuring out which cable to twist. Well, you twist the cable attached to the outside post of the cam that stops first.