PDA

View Full Version : 08 moab

danastles
09-01-2010, 01:51 AM
purchased an 08 moab, very very gently used from a friend. noticed the string was not served on the idler wheel, and the idler wheel doesnt seem very deep. the string seemed to be starting to frey on the wheel, and eventually even jumped off the idler wheel. needless to say i replaced the string, and cables immediately with zebra strings and cables. after i got it all tuned in, and letting fly about 60 shots, my peep was out of alignment. me being new to bows just put it back into the case and was going to take it to a shop to have it fixed. about a month later, prior to going to the shop i drew it back and found the peep was back in alignment. fired a few shots, still bang on.
is this common for a peep on a new string to have to be worked in? and once its out of alignment, meaning u cant line the sight up, does it go back on its own?
im just lost because i dont want to leave it, to find out in the woods when im drawing on a monster that is back out of alignment again. any help would be greatly appreciated, as im no expert by any means!

dan

bfisher
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
It's common for this to happen with inferior strings. Unfortunately for you you're finding out that Zebra strings aren't what they're advertised to be. Being as you already have them I'd say if you keep having a problem just change to a peep with a rubber tube (Yeah, I hate them too). Next time you get a good set from just about any of the more popular string makers listed on AT. A couple I'd recommend is H&H, Vapor Trail, Bucknasty. There are tons of others that are good. A search on AT would bring up lots of info.

Do a search for Zebra and you'll find they do not have a very good reputation.

danastles
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
ok thanks alot!

dan

oncechance
09-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I would call Martins about the idler wheel. I have seen posts where Martins shipped them the new 2010 idler wheel because it has a deeper groove and one side is beveled.

danastles
09-02-2010, 10:18 AM
i did call martin. i told the guy the problem and he said "uh huh", so i said well ive heard of this being a common problem and he said no we've never heard that before. which totally went against this great reputation ive heard about martin. so i ended the call and the dealer ordered me the zebra strings. so my fault because im so clueless when it comes to the operation of these things. lesson learned. order new strings and cable. thanks.

dan

oncechance
09-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I would call back and talk to Joel. That doesn't sound like a response Joel would have gave you.

bfisher
09-02-2010, 05:26 PM
i did call martin. i told the guy the problem and he said "uh huh", so i said well ive heard of this being a common problem and he said no we've never heard that before. which totally went against this great reputation ive heard about martin. so i ended the call and the dealer ordered me the zebra strings. so my fault because im so clueless when it comes to the operation of these things. lesson learned. order new strings and cable. thanks.

dan

You don't need to order new strings. Use what you have for now. I wouldn't say they are any better or worse than Martin factory strings. Just that when Mathews started making Zebras they did their marketing gimmick and BS'd people (dealers included) about their superiority. They did come standard on Mathews bows for years and most more experienced shooters found out, in time, that they just weren't the Cat's Meow like they were advertised to be.

Now all this being said, that doesn't mean they won't last. When it comes to durability most all string have about the same useable life span. That's because most of them are made of the same material.

What is different about good custom strings is that the quality of workmanship goes into them. More care and different techniques are used to ensure that most all the strands are doing the same amount of work as soon as you put them on the bow. This makes them more stable, which means they have very little creep. Creep is what causes peeps to rotate and bows to go out of tune as the string ages. And this stability can be had at prices very favorable to what Zebra strings cost. Check out H&M strings for example.

I apologize for not addressing the idler wheel issue. Looks like onechance did it for me.

danastles
09-03-2010, 12:43 AM
thanks for taking the time to add some input. im gonna order some vapor trail strings and keep them onhand. if within a month this issue doesnt sort itself out ill change the string....and in the meantime ill give martin a ring and see if theres been any issues with the idlers by talking to joel. thanks alot!

dan

Destroyer
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't say they are any better or worse than Martin factory strings.

They couldn't be any worse imho.

im gonna order some vapor trail strings and keep them onhand.

Not a bad idea.

we've never heard that before

LOL! Never heard that one before. :D