PDA

View Full Version : Alien Z Noise

Svt_tactical
09-03-2010, 04:29 AM
I took my bow to a martin authorized dealer and we got the cams in tune and the noise down to nothing. However, on the draw i am getting a clicking noise from the bow. Its not the rest, tried it without on there (bare bow) It makes the noise at different parts of the draw as well so I'm stumped and so where they guys at the shop. Anyone heard of this before?

Destroyer
09-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Try putting some good quality oil on the axle spacers/washers and draw the bow back a few times. Also make sure the limb bolts aren't over tightened. :)

rock
09-04-2010, 03:56 PM
lube here up dry limb pocked sounds like

Svt_tactical
09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Well I'm relieved and mad at the same time. Here is why.

The shop i took it to that tuned the cams tried figuring out the noise. They kept the bow overnight and called rytera with it in hand to figure this out. Rytera told them that it could be dry/nongrease rocker pockets and that if they took the bow apart and checked it they would find out. Well they did and said that was what it was and greased it up and put it back together, retimed the cams and called me to pick it up. I did. Here is the part that makes me mad. They charged me $50.00 to do the labor. Granted that I didnt' buy the bow there (they quoted me 6 weeks for one so I bought it NEW from another authorized dealer out of state that had it in stock) or I'm sure they wouldn't have but For me to get my brand new $700 bow back I had to pay $50.00 I was kinda pissed but the shop said "you can always call martin and they will most likely refund your money" SO i did that on Friday talked to a girl there and she took all my info down and said " I WILL CALL YOU BACK ON TUESDAY WITH AN ANSWER" I write this in caps cause Today, wednesday i call back and ask for her because she didn't call. She 1, doesn't remember be, 2, then acts like she does, 3, says well we can't do a thing about it! I got pissed and said forget it. I am waiting to cool down before i call and ask to speak to a manager in CS at martin.

Am I out of line here? To ship the thing back to Martin would have cost me $25 or more and I would have been without the bow for several weeks. Season starts this week and I dont' have another bow so I would have been SOL come opening day for an issue that could have been prevented had the assembler done his job.

rock
09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
i know how you feel thats why i started doing my own work on my bows if your handy i bought a bow in april and it took four month to get it right between the co and shop got back and traded for the z i have now . there is a lot of info out there you just have to find the right stuff good luck

Svt_tactical
09-08-2010, 11:30 AM
i don't have a press or would have done it myself.

rock
09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
i did it with a bowmaster press im gathering all the stuff to build a linear press now

Destroyer
09-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Didn't think you needed a bow press with the Z. :confused:

rock
09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
i tried it not very easy d

Svt_tactical
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Well the noise is back. I've called Rytera and talked to Joel. I can send the bow in, at my expense, and once they get it they will fix it within 3-4 days and ship it back using at most 3 day shipping. SO now i have a brand new alien z that is worthless for hunting because of the noise, that i've spent over $800 on now and still have to send it in which with insurance should be around $25-$35. and then once i get it back retune and sight it in.....Hunting season started 2 weeks ago.... This is not making me a repeat customer Martin......

oncechance
09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Hang in there buddy. I'm sure once you get it back it will be once again a sweet shooting bow.

Svt_tactical
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't eeven know at this point if I'll keep it when i get it back. I can't get over how crappy its been to get a $800 bow fixed from an obvious problem! IMO there should be a stronger push to get it fixed. Send a call tag, overnight ship it, take care of your customers... but thats my opinion. I just don't see why i should have to invest even more money in a problem they should have prevented from the get go.

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't blame you, after spending so much for a higher quality bow, then more $$ to fix it. I'd be unhappy too.

Hope it works out for you. :)

Svt_tactical
09-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Well I've talked to several folks that have the same problem and its turning people off from Rytera/Martin that the process to get it fixed isn't easier for the consumer. A search on AT will yeild plenty that have the same issue. The Alien mafia club has seen quite a bit of it too.

Destroyer
09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Doesn't help I agree. ;)

I think PSE has been having trouble too btw, found a few Madness bows that have cracked limbs recently.

Svt_tactical
09-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Joel,

I hope you work your magic on my return. I just turned my bow over to the UPS man to carry to you. I hope everything i hear about you is true. And i also hope i can get over this aggravation soon.

I will update everyone once i get the bow back from martin.

Spiker
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
I have an Alien Z and it is absolutely silent on the draw and very quiet on the shot so I think you will be happy when you get it back.

baerman
09-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey SVT Tactical,
I had pretty much the same experience. Bought a Martin Warthog for 750.00 and had a bottom limb crack after just a few shots. Martin sent my limbs to a dealer in my area, but they "didn't have time" to install them and suggested that I find another shop to take care of the problem. Well, I did....to the tune of another $50.00, upping the cost of the bow to $800.00 now. Unfortunately, the bow is about 20+fps slower now (new solids versus the old laminated, I guess), but I'm hopeing that it at least won't fall apart in my hands this time. Martin has great people working for them.....it's just the product that is a problem....Anyway, best of luck with your Rytera. I have been thinking of upgrading to a better bow, and was thinking of the Rytera, but with the problems that Martin is having with limbs....guess I'll have to find my new best friend somewhere else.

Spiker
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
The Ryteras all have Barnsdale limbs on them.

baerman
09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey Spiker,
They did initially, but I've been told that they've switched to internally produced limbs now. The Barnesdales were just a "fill in" until they could produce them at Martin. Frankly, it would be great if Martin would offer Barnesdales as an add-on option when you first purchase the bow.....after my experience, I think it would be the least expensive option, and you'd have a piece of equipment that you could depend upon. Anyway, take care Spiker.

Spiker
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Dont know - I have an early '09 AX, and early '10 Nemesis and an AZ that I just got a week or so ago and they all have Barnsdales on them...

Destroyer
09-28-2010, 07:44 PM
it would be great if Martin would offer Barnesdales

I wish that too, not just for new bow though.

Svt_tactical
10-12-2010, 11:18 AM
wanted to keep everyone updated on this. Bow arrived back to me yesturday in a box with not one hint of packing material to keep the bow from banging up and down in the box. I was in a plastic bag but nothing to keep the cams from hitting the ends of the box and whatever it was sitting on. I haven't shot the bow yet but after inspecting the cams really good to make sure the ride back didn't mess them up from no packing material I drew the bow back and let down a few times and the click is gone, for now, so after i shoot it a few hundred times i will report back. I had requested a email with updates and a tracking number but didn't get it. I did call last tuesday to check on the repair and left a message for the "tech" to call me back. He did and said they also saw the roller guard was wearing the cables excessively and he would replace it with an updated system and give me new cables. He said once he got that done he'd shoot it at least 100 times to make sure its fixed then get it boxed up and back to me, at which time the tracking number would be emailed to me. Now I am glad I got my bow back can't say 100% its fixed yet but so far less than stellar CS and I expected better feedback.

Svt_tactical
10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
forgot to mention the root cause of the noise was a few things it was assembled with no grease in the rocker pockets and also a pin/rod under the rockers was to long and not ground down all the way?!?! Some thing so minor that could have been prevented and yet it wasn't.

Spiker
10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Got it back and all is well now. Shoot it awhile and you will love it.
Remember - archery is fun.

p.s. All bows are packed and shipped that way.

bfisher
10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Got it back and all is well now. Shoot it awhile and you will love it.
Remember - archery is fun.

p.s. All bows are packed and shipped that way.

I was going to mention the shipping issue. I've been a staff shooter since 1993 with four different companies. My bows are shipped UPS to my home. During this time I've recieved in the neighborhood of 22 bows. I've shipped some back for warranty work and had them shipped back to me. They are always wrapped in plastic and no padding in the box. I've never recieved one with any damage.

I used to work at a Gander Mountain store and as such unboxed hundreds of bows by various manufacturers. They've all been packed the same way. It's worked for decades so why change.

So I would advise checking into things before getting all ruffled up about it. It would be more prudent to ask if this is standard shipping protocol than just ranting about it.

As for the dry pads under the limbs causing a cracking noise? My Alien Z does this too. It only does it during the first draw of each I know what it is so it doesn't bother me. If this were a hunting setup I'd fix it because it's really easy, but being a 3D bow I could care less. In your case any dealer could have done it in about 15 minutes.

Next time just ask here and maybe one of this elite bunch of guys can guide you through such things. Besides, it's fun learning how to work on compounds. The more you learn the more you may want to learn.

Svt_tactical
10-13-2010, 06:51 AM
I was going to mention the shipping issue. I've been a staff shooter since 1993 with four different companies. My bows are shipped UPS to my home. During this time I've recieved in the neighborhood of 22 bows. I've shipped some back for warranty work and had them shipped back to me. They are always wrapped in plastic and no padding in the box. I've never recieved one with any damage.

I used to work at a Gander Mountain store and as such unboxed hundreds of bows by various manufacturers. They've all been packed the same way. It's worked for decades so why change.

So I would advise checking into things before getting all ruffled up about it. It would be more prudent to ask if this is standard shipping protocol than just ranting about it.

As for the dry pads under the limbs causing a cracking noise? My Alien Z does this too. It only does it during the first draw of each I know what it is so it doesn't bother me. If this were a hunting setup I'd fix it because it's really easy, but being a 3D bow I could care less. In your case any dealer could have done it in about 15 minutes.

Next time just ask here and maybe one of this elite bunch of guys can guide you through such things. Besides, it's fun learning how to work on compounds. The more you learn the more you may want to learn.

When i bought the bow it arrived with packing around the cams so I assumed that was standard. It came from a Rytera Dealer and its the first "new" bow i have bought in 15 years. I just got back into archery. I did take the bow to an authorized Rytera/Martin dealer. They "fixed" it to the tune of $50.00 and said it was good to go. It is a hunting bow and thus i couldn't deal with the clicking. The noise came back within 50 shots. Took it back and they said nothing they could do and I'd have to send it to Rytera. no refund no help.

I did ask for help on several forums before having to loose my bow for two weeks during bow season on the first year i got back into it. Didn't get much help. I don't have a press and don't know enough to fix it myself if I did. I only rant cause I spent over $800 on a bow that for hunting purposes would have been better to throw the dang thing at the deer than to draw back. and yes it was that loud.

bfisher
10-13-2010, 03:41 PM
OK, I can understand your frustration and I'll apologize for coming on so strong. I'm on your side with a couple issues.

#1---I think a good dealer would have done this work for free considering the money you spent on the bow and the fact that it shouldn't be making such a noise. I would have considered it "customer service".

#2---I wonder what mojo juice Martin put on the bow that fixed it. If the dealer put lithium grease on the limb pads and it only worked for a while it just makes me wonder what Martin uses.

Just for your information though, you don't need a bow press to disassemble Martin bows. Almost all of them can just have the limb bolts backed off enough to remove the string/cables which is what holds it all together.

I do hope you have luck with what's left of your hunting season.

Svt_tactical
10-14-2010, 04:47 AM
All is well Its just left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak. I am happy to have it back but haven't decided if I will keep it now.

Destroyer
10-14-2010, 06:42 PM
would have been better to throw the dang thing at the deer than to draw back

Lol! Funny statement for a not so funny problem. ;)