PDA

View Full Version : Cable clearnace on a Shadow Cat/cat cams

b0w_bender
09-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a Shadow cat that I adjusted the draw modules to their maximum draw length setting but the draw stop is not pegged. I noticed by doing this the cable pin and part of the cam actually comes in contact with the cable just prior to the bow coming to full draw. I think this is going to cause cable damage and I know it makes a goofy noise as I settle into my anchor. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you deal with it? I've tried adjusting the cable guard out but to get to the point where there isn't any contact causes quite a bit of cam lean. It's that blasted cross over module that brings the cables in close to the cam near the end of the draw cycle that is causing it. You can see from the pictures that I have the draw modules in the last hole but the draw stop is not pegged to the end however there is contact all over the cams. You can actually see the cable deflecting from where it is hitting the cam. Also note this isn't even at full draw yet.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

b0w_bender
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
the cams are not out of time the pictures were just shot at different points in the draw Cycle.

SonnyThomas
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I looked my Shadowcat over. I have my cable guide rod offset for the use of Blazer and Twister vanes and seem to have clearance. Might try this.

Destroyer
09-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Check your ATA and measure the actual draw length.

Montalaar
09-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Show your Cams when not drawn. The drillied hole for the Drawstop-Peg is larger than it needs to be so you can move the Peg around if needed. My bows are set at 32.5" draw and the draw stop is somwhere at1/3 of the drilled hole.

I see that there is a problem with the cable contact at the cam. So please post a picture of the cams when not at full draw. Moving the Cable slide out is not a good solution. How old is your ShaodwCat? Is it a 39" or a 41.5"? Is it possible that you got the hars draw modules? Mine are black while the grey ones from 2009 are a bit more aggressive.

NeilM
09-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I'll be interested to see the outcome of this, as I experienced something similar while starting to set up my Shadowcat.

This was before I discovered the bent module, and I assumed it was the module allowing the cable to run out of true that was causing the problem.

Montalaar
09-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Neil, what Cam is on your bow? I forgot it. I will check it on my ShadowCat today but i have the 2.0 Cams installed although both are set at the last two holes.

NeilM
09-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Neil, what Cam is on your bow? I forgot it. I will check it on my ShadowCat today but i have the 2.0 Cams installed although both are set at the last two holes.

My cams are the same as those in the photo's above. They are not marked but appear to be CAT 1.5's.

Montalaar
09-04-2010, 06:38 AM
1.5, indeed.

I just checked my 2.0 Cams. When set at the longest draw setting with Drawstop removed i am far away rom getting contact with the limb. There is enough space in every direction..

b0w_bender
09-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys
As requested I will post picture of the bow at rest.

This is the shorter 39" ATA version. Actually I was a little disappointed that it wasn't the longer version. I have another longer version shadow cat and a minor adjustment of the cable guard gave me enough clearance. On this one thought the cable guard is straight and there isn't any way to adjust it out.

See page 2 for the photos

b0w_bender
09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
As requested here are the cams at rest. I've looked at the photos online and from my other shadow cat they look like they are in the proper rotation.

Montalaar
09-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Okay, i think there may different ways to get you help.

1st: Call Martin and ask if they warranty your riser and exchange it with a 41.5" one.

2nd: Get yourself a doglegged cable guard so you can adjust it. Any Martin dealer can sell you one.

3rd: Depending on your basic Cam configuration there may be a third way.

Montalaar
09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
The rotation looks fine, indeed.

So here is my third solution:

Untwist your string by around 5 turns or maybe more.
Twist both cables by the same amount.

This will lead to a much more retarded Cam position which will give you a longer draw length. ATA and BH should should stay approximately the same but your draw can change up to 1". Then you can set the module and drawstop until the bow fits your drawlength. This will also make the drawcycle a bit softer and let you lose some fps. Maybe around 5 - 10fps.

b0w_bender
09-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Sounds good I already have a call into Martin on another issue I'll talk with them about the riser exchange.

and the Cable guard I'll buy one of those for sure. Nearest Martin dealer is over 35 miles away so I'll chase one down elsewhere.

These strings and cables are pretty fuzzy so perhaps I'll just adjust the length of them when I make new ones. I was contemplating that solution already so I'll explore that too.

Thanks a bunch for your input. I think I can get it worked out even if I have to do a combination of all three of these. Personally I think this is a design flaw but I know Martin\we are always looking to get the absolute most out of each design and perhaps we're just a little too close to the cliff edge with this cam\cable routing.

Thanks A Bunch!

b0w_bender
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I got the cable guard on order direct from Martin off their website!

Destroyer
09-04-2010, 07:01 PM
This is the shorter 39" ATA version.

The reason I asked is for the cable to be contacting before the draw stop, the cables have to be too long. I was thinking that you might have got cables meant for the longer version.

Montalaar
09-05-2010, 01:09 AM
The setup looks fine. If the cables were 2" longer as they are for the longer bow the Cam rotation would look not that good.

b0w_bender
09-05-2010, 06:21 AM
ya pretty sure these are the original string\cables even though I'm not the original owner. They are definitely not for the longer version.