PDA

View Full Version : stripped threads

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
:eek: How do you repair stripped stabilizer threads. They seem to only be 1/4 " or less stripped. :(

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
You mean that you 'destroyed' the threaded hole?

In this case you could drill the hole a tad bigger so that one of those metal stabilizer socket will fit in it which is used in most pro series bows. Barry should be able to give you the part number. Just glue this one in and you will have upgraded your bow to a better one. ;D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Seems that some of the new stabilizers have shorter bolts and only hold on the last 1/4 inch of the threads a slight bump here or there and go to tighten it up and it let loose. So what your saying is there is a bushing replacement that they use in the pro bows. :)

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Right. In the Gold series and even in some of the Pro series bows (At least my Warthog..) the stabilizer thread is cut into the riser. The high end bows have a certain bushing made out of steel. It is of higher quality and will last longer. I am pretty sure that you can get them as a spare part. Many other manufacturers use them, too. There should be no problem to get one.

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
You can see an example of those bushing here. They still look the same on todays bows.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs36/i/2008/252/e/f/The_Red_Starlet_by_Montalaar.jpg

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info sounds like what I need to do! Now how would I find out where I could one?

Montalaar
09-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Lets wait for Barry. He can give you the part number so you can call Martin and get one from them. I am not sure if you can get those bushings at a hardware store where you live. I could image that you might find something useful..?

rock
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
cant clean it up with a tap kit or is it far gone

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
cant clean it up with a tap kit or is it far gone

Too far gone.

bfisher
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I finally got home from the archery club and got right on the puter. The wfe is watching America's Next Top Model. I call them toothpicks on stilts. I have a 2 1/2 year old grand daughter that has better figure than these wanna-bes. At least she's cute.

Anyhow, Hutch. I got some info for you. Martin sells two different kinds of stabilizer inserts. First one is part # 612 and is threaded. It requires that you drill the hole out a little bigger and use a tap set to thread it. Then install the insert and I'd recommend using Loc-Tite on it when you put it in the riser.

The scond one is part # 616 and is just a press fit. It requires drilling a larger hole also, but you don't need to thread the riser. If you go this route then I'd recommend 24 hour two part epoxy.

Either will work. Now the bad news. I don't know how much larger you'd have to drill the hole with either of them. A call to Martin customer service would get you this info. 1-800-541-8902. They're not expensive at about
$2.50 each. Probably shipping will cost you more.

I'm going through Lancaster Archery's catalog to see if they have any.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi bfisher,
thank you for taking the time to get the info and I agree about the toothpicks on stilts.
I checked lancaster archery and all they had was one made for wood risers.
I believe you have the better idea with martins two choices.
So what would you do helicoil or insert bushing?

bfisher
09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi bfisher,
thank you for taking the time to get the info and I agree about the toothpicks on stilts.
I checked lancaster archery and all they had was one made for wood risers.
I believe you have the better idea with martins two choices.
So what would you do helicoil or insert bushing?

Personally? I'd go with the threaded insert. I can't find my 2010 catalog right now, but it's in the 2008 catalog. You might find it on Martin's website. Click n catalogs, then past issues.

Where'd you find the one in Lancaster's catalog? I didn't see it.

bfisher
09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Never mind. Found it at the bottom of page 22. That's he same as Martin's press-in version.