PDA

View Full Version : New Martin take down bow... finally

ssalt8050
09-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Not finally receiving it, finally assembling it. (Day 3) WOW!!! The holes weren't tapped deep enough for the screws. ALMOST stripped and will probably get a spare set just in case and stringing the thing WTF?? The instructions aren't the greatest. I'm glad there were some videos out there to show me how. I had to wrestle the thing like an alligator to get it strung. :mad:

Well, other than that. I like to state the positive as well. I like the feel and the design.

Hopefully it shoots as well as it looks.

I'll let you know. When I get the patience and energy back.

Steve

Hopefully going to be happy I bought it ;)

Destroyer
09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
I had to wrestle the thing like an alligator to get it strung.

Did you use a stringer and what draw weight is it? :)

alex
09-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Did you measure the brace height? Is it near the factory specs? This "wrestle" doesn't sound right to me. There are a lot of videos in YouTube about the correct way of stringing a recurve bow. The best is to use a stringer, but if you haven't one the next best method is the "step-through".

ssalt8050
09-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, it came with a stringer. It's only a 50 pounder and the top and bottom limb are the same at least that's what it says in the manual. I got it together after the wrestling match. Hopefully it will get easier with practice.

I shot it today. I like it. A LOT. Once I get the feel for it, I imagine it will be a lot more fun to shoot. So far so good though, no technical problems once I got it together. I'll keep ya posted.

alex
09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
:) Yes, keep us informed. You can tune the bow twisting (or untwisting) the string. As far as i remember the brace height should be around 7". When you're ready you can unstring the bow without taking the string of it. One of the loops is bigger and you can slide it down the limb in order not to "loose" the twists of the string.

Destroyer
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
It's only a 50 pounder

A lot of draw weight for a beginner. ;)

ssalt8050
09-21-2010, 07:54 AM
:) Yes, keep us informed. You can tune the bow twisting (or untwisting) the string. As far as i remember the brace height should be around 7". When you're ready you can unstring the bow without taking the string of it. One of the loops is bigger and you can slide it down the limb in order not to "loose" the twists of the string.

Ok, thanks for the tips.

ssalt8050
09-21-2010, 07:54 AM
A lot of draw weight for a beginner. ;)

I agree :) I'm an old beginner too :D

Destroyer
09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I imagine it will be a lot more fun to shoot.

When you develop good form it will be, can be a very frustrating sport though. :)

alex
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
can be a very frustrating sport though. :)

About your wallet?

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 03:25 AM
The whole deal! :D

ssalt8050
09-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Ok, so the 2nd and third take down and re-string went smoother than the first. I have a good feel for the bow now and enjoy shooting it. Once I found the sweet spot in the draw, grouping my shots became easier and easier. :D

Next question: I don't see anywhere on the site where I can order an backup set of the torque bolts and barrel nut?

Destroyer
09-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I think you will have to contact Martin for those, not 100% sure though. :)

ssalt8050
10-02-2010, 06:55 AM
I think you will have to contact Martin for those, not 100% sure though. :)

Thanks Destroyer, i'll reach out to them directly.