PDA

View Full Version : Old MArtin Jaguar

esu
09-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Gents, have an old MArtin Jaguar that was restrung about 5 years ago, yesterday the cable snapped while out practicing. How much should I reasonably expect to have my local shop repair this? The bow tech wasnt in when I dropped it off, he wont be in till monday. The kid at the counter gave me a rough price of $200 which I thought was high, very high. Im in the NY City area and there arent many choices for shops but Im not looking to get ripped off either.
Thx Cory

alex
09-19-2010, 11:44 AM
200$ sounds TOO much to me. If the bow is so seriously damaged you'd better think of buying a new one (i guess for 200$ you can find a decent second hand one). Good luck!

esu
09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
200$ sounds TOO much to me. If the bow is so seriously damaged you'd better think of buying a new one (i guess for 200$ you can find a decent second hand one). Good luck!

I dont think the bow is seriously damaged?? Just a snapped cable,,

alex
09-19-2010, 02:36 PM
:confused: Then why they want 200$ A new string and cable are between 50 and 120$ ... Unless the bow is too old and they must make a custom order, but i don't believe this is the case, right?

Spiker
09-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Does it have the old steel cables on it?
I talked to Joel at Martin about a year ago about re-doing one of my old bows.
He quoted me $75 to replace everything if I sent it in to Martin.
Dont know if they are still offering that but you might want to give them a call.
If it is new enough to have fiber cables then you can get a complete set from lots of different string makers for $45 - $80 and change them out yourself.

esu
09-19-2010, 03:00 PM
:confused: Then why they want 200$ A new string and cable are between 50 and 120$ ... Unless the bow is too old and they must make a custom order, but i don't believe this is the case, right?

Thats what I wa trying to figure out,, why $200,, guess I'll find out tomorrow when the bow tech comes in,,

esu
09-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Does it have the old steel cables on it?
I talked to Joel at Martin about a year ago about re-doing one of my old bows.
He quoted me $75 to replace everything if I sent it in to Martin.
Dont know if they are still offering that but you might want to give them a call.
If it is new enough to have fiber cables then you can get a complete set from lots of different string makers for $45 - $80 and change them out yourself.

I dont believe them to be steel, the bow is from 1996/97. Tried to call Martin but closed over the weekend obviously, will try tomorrow,

Destroyer
09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
The kid at the counter gave me a rough price of $200 which I thought was high, very high.

Most likely because the kid doesn't know, could be something he was instructed to do, say high just in case.

If there is no other damage then all it will cost is for new strings and cables. Probably has fastflight. :)

Parashooter
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi, I'm in NY... Long Island, not too far from you. Who did you take it to?

...worst case if you want to drive out and use my press PM me.

esu
09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi, I'm in NY... Long Island, not too far from you. Who did you take it to?

...worst case if you want to drive out and use my press PM me.

Thx for the offer, I took it to a place callled outdoor adventures, the final price was $225. He said the cable and string were $150. I called MArtin and their price for my cable and string was $100. I found a guy right over the bridge in Elizabeth NJ who is going to look at it. I'll see what he says,
Cory

alex
09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
225$ !!! :eek: Order your string and cable from H&M bowstrings and put them on the bow yourself - i believe it won't cost you more then 75$. I guess even your older bow doesn't require a bowpress, but if it does Parashooter is kind enough to offer his help :)

Destroyer
09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Order your string and cable from H&M bowstrings

$48 US including shipping to Australia, very good value. :)

wooduck1954
09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
I just bought both strings for my Martin Jaguar from Martin a couple of weeks ago for about $65 took bow to Bass Pro Shop and they put them on for free.

Destroyer
09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Good news! Just a bit of a $$ difference hey! ;)