PDA

View Full Version : cheeta/bonehunter

J758
09-19-2010, 06:36 AM
I want some thoughts. I have a martin bone hunter. I'm shooting a 70 lbs draw and a 380 grain arrow. I'm going to use magnus 2 blades 85 grain broad heads,also I am shooting with a rip cord rest and a right hand helical. I know I've been dialed in on my sights for sometime now. One pin. This thing shoots 40 and in with one in. Never bothered to set up my other 2 pins. Thought about 40 50 60. Is that ok? I use this bow for target and plan on hunting with it. Thought no futher than 20 yards or so for deer. But honestly how far can u shoot and take bigger size game? I am completely confident shooting forty yards cause I can hold pattern very tight. One shot targets! So how do u guys set your pins? I think one pin is enough for hunting. Want to do 3d indoors in winter. I also think that light arrows are ok too. Cause weather its a 425 grain or 380 I think the arrow is gonna pass through at close range. Thanks for any input

elkslayer4x5
09-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I think one pin is enough for hunting.

I agree, one pin is enough for anything, of course, my one pin slides to any yardage I want. :D Setting your pins at 40 50 and 60 will work, as long as you are comfortable with it. The kill zone of a blacktail deer is about the size of a paper plate, an eight inch circle. If you can keep your arrow inside of that all the way out to 60 yds, go for it, however, most guys I know with 3 pins sights set them up 20 30 40, most of them hunt in places where 40 yds is a long shot, treestands and the like. Good luck with your setup. And when you've got him on the ground, take a photo for us. We'd all like to how you've done. :)

J758
09-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I sure will. 40 yards will be evening hunt only. We hunt thick cover most of time. So 20 yards max I'm thinkin. Will post pics. October firts is first day for deer here in indiana

dragonsfire311
09-19-2010, 02:50 PM
your set up idea sounds good. I use a vertical 5 pin site set at 20,30,40,50, and 60 yrds. never shoot further than your comfortable with.

Destroyer
09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Thought about 40 50 60. Is that ok?

Pretty silly imho. To shoot one pin @ 40 requires amazing instinctive hold over/under, especially on targets. No bow made is fast enough yet to do it accurately without this and your bow isn't any where near the fastest.

I know with 3 pins sights set them up 20 30 40, most of them hunt in places where 40 yds is a long shot

Agree. Set your pins @ 20 30 40 and be more consistency accurate at those distances. 60 yards under hunting conditions is a long way.

Cause weather its a 425 grain or 380 I think the arrow is gonna pass through at close range

Same old thing. Not a big weight difference but the heavier arrow will be more stable, the bow will be a little bit quieter and possibly last longer too. :)

ezbite
09-22-2010, 10:19 AM
i dont think one pin is silly at all. i shoot one pin for everything. hunting and 3D. im set dead on at 25 yards and do very good at that. if a single pin is what you like to shoot dont let some guy on the internet talk you out of it. but i also will never take a shot longer than 40 yards. too thick where i hunt. if i was shooting longer, id look into at least one more pin.

Ehunter
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I know alot of guys that shoot one pin. Think of all the traditional archers out there. No pins at all. Alot of deer killed at 30-40 yards by them. I personally have a pin set for every ten yards from 20-70. Not much of a pin gap at all, but I know exactly where I want to hold for each distance. Just my preference. I say shoothowever you are most comfortable, as long as you are accurate in doing so.

J758
09-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys for your input! Yes closer the better. Just wanna set up for field otta my blind. I can hold my arrows about pop can circle from 40 yards. Just like to here how other guys set up cause my first year! Been hunting since I was very young just not with a bow. One pin with 85 grain magnus buzz cuts should do it. Thanks again!

DanielD
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM
No, I don't use pins :D
Yes, You are right, alot of deer killed at 30-40 yards by them. I had shot at beginning from 20-50 yards, now I can go for 70-90 yards, seems great

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Think of all the traditional archers out there. No pins at all.

Cant argue with idiotic logic like that. :rolleyes:

baerman
09-23-2010, 04:58 AM
Hey J758,
You indicated that you are new to archery....so my recommendation is that you take it one step at a time. Archery requires more skill, dedication and self control than hunting with a firearm, and the game deserves our respect...especially that we not try shots that stretch our capabilities or skill sets. Keep your shots in close. If you use one pin, then practice with that one pin until you KNOW that you can place your shot exactly where you want it. Even if you could punch pop tops in practice, shooting in the field is a completely different challenge. Good luck as you pursue this great sport, but please don't stretch your efforts too quickly. Both the quarry and you deserve better.

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 08:29 PM
dont let some guy on the internet talk you out of it.

As stated by some guy on the internet lol! :D

J758
09-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the advice, hope to get close. Lots of. Things to consider even with a gun. I never shoot unless I know I can harvest. Nice to have outside opions. From guys that been doin it for awhile. I'm ready to hunt. Been shootin 100 times or so a day. From 10 out to 40. In the woods one twig and its over so closer the better.

Destroyer
09-24-2010, 06:43 PM
so closer the better.

Good. A lot of hunters limit there shots to 30 yards, 40 would be max.

A good tip is it to pick a spot and concentrate hard even when using a sight, you will be much more accurate than simply lining it up and letting fly. If your using one fixed pin @ 40, you will have to be hold below the the deer @ 20 yards or higher depending on how fast your setup is. Very hard to pick a spot in 'air', keep the pin steady with less reference, very inaccurate.

The last nail in the coffin for a fixed pin setup @ 40 is all the extra practicing for no real result. You need to learn where to hold at all these different ranges and its adding a complexity to something that is hard in the first place. Set the @ 20 30 40 yards and enjoy your practice.

Btw, I don't see anything wrong with one fixed pin @ 20yards if that is the limit you shoot to. :)